King Kong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Kong Reviews

May 4, 2017
With simply amazing special effects, memorable characters, excellent humor, highly recognizable dialogue and superb imagery, King Kong truly is an undisputed classic which has aged like fine wine and is phenomenally entertaining to this day. It is such a wonderful adventure which features quite a lot of unforgettable sequences, great action scenes and such a memorable ending leading to one of the best blockbusters of all time.
May 2, 2017
I always believe that every movie is product of its time.
And it clearly shows from how they handle and portray social issues on their movie.
And i think thats what makes it more fascinating to see.
The visual alone will give you some kind of religious experience that you will always adore from good classic movies.
Thus concluded, King Kong is not only a classic but also a important piece of history.
April 30, 2017
Una de las mejores películas fantásticas de la historia del cine. Una cinta que se inspiraba en las obras fantásticas y de aventuras predecesoras y que al mismo sentaría las bases del cine que estaba por venir, tanto a nivel conceptual como a nivel técnico.

Y menudo nivel técnico. Unos efectos especiales que aun aguantan a días de hoy, más de 80 años después, por ser tremendamente consecuentes en su época, al mismo tiempo que totalmente innovadores.

Una película que creó género y que inspiró a varias generaciones de creadores cinematográficos y que sigue haciéndolo a día de hoy.

Sin duda, la novena maravilla del mundo.
April 28, 2017
170426: A classic. I just wish I could've been there when this was released to the theatres in 1933. I wonder how it was received? What the people thought of the special effects, the action? Still fun to watch today, 84 years later.
April 27, 2017
The is a monster movie classic. It is a most see. See all the sequels and remakes. This is the best of the King Kong movie. And there are all great movies. This movie is very scary. It is a classic
½ April 26, 2017
Well another supposed masterpiece that i didn't really like! This is incredible on the technical level and really well done, but guys c'mon this is just a b movie from the 30's nothing more! The special effects are amazing & still look awesome but the acting is awfull & the storyline sort of so-so! t's not that entertaining & felt really boring to me! I so prefered the Peter Jackson version. I know the die hard fans would burn me for writing this but fuck it! i tell you like it is for me & me only, i don't pretend to be THE critic.
April 13, 2017
Greatest adventure film ever made.
½ April 2, 2017
It's the original, but honestly I think it holds up poorly today. I was underwhelmed and uninterested. I found it overrated, and much prefer the remakes from both 1976 and 2005. (First and only viewing - 5/19/2010)
½ April 1, 2017
Problematic movie made with xenophobic American ideals. The Indians in this film are depicted as blood thirsty savages but are only defending themselves from the colonialists United-Statiens. The image of the giant ape is still used as an allegory for brown and exotic people in a pure racialist display. The ''ape'' is only interested in a meek, white , blond haired woman that embodies Aryan ideals, not surprising considering the Nazism present in America in the 30's.
March 18, 2017
Enjoyable and groundbreaking, but it certainly hasn't aged well.
½ March 17, 2017
An epic spectacle even to this day, King Kong is a beautiful, violent tale that proves that more times than not the original is the best, even if the beast takes up the characters time.
March 13, 2017
i thought that this was pretty good
½ March 13, 2017
A timeless story And a true landmark spectacle for its time and although I actually enjoyed this a lot more than other films from pre-1960 I'm still hard pressed to say that this isn't dated and hard to sit through.
½ March 13, 2017
A breakthrough in special effects, that has more than just action. It is one of the best monster movies ever made, even today with the existence of CGI. The film makes you wonder who the true villain is, the misunderstood and surprisingly human Kong, or the greedy man wanting to profit of the beast. It balances this thoughtfulness with action scenes that are still fun to watch today (perhaps for different reasons than the original movie goers). When I put this one my 6 year old brother was just as entertained as I was. In the end this is an Iconic movie that as stood the test of time.
½ March 11, 2017
What can I say that hasn't already been said about the original "King Kong" movie? Its a masterpiece and a classic of cinema.
March 10, 2017
A timeless classic still to this day. If you haven't seen it and you're into classic films this is a must watch.
March 9, 2017
Sure some of the acting is wooden and corny but Armstrong as Denham is perfect! Plus this is 1933 for crying out loud. And the only thing that matters here is Kong anyway. Kong is still magic to watch in all his Stop Motion glory. 1933 people, and this is 2017. Still holds up as a rollicking adventure with a few scares.
½ March 9, 2017
the first film of classic cinema to introduce one of the most memorable monsters of all time
King Kong makes his first appearance; the effects look very dated but they still remain very revolutionary to this day, the use of the stop motion brings this giant behemoth to life
the film has a fast pace, plenty of creatures to go around, and Kong rules in every scene
the human characters on the other hand are a bit underdeveloped, plus the natives are reduced to racist stereotypes and Kong is pretty much a violent brute
but the film rarely slows down which is good because the filmmakers zip by as much as possible, and they have Kong connect with Ann Darrow in a few minor instances
still a gem of early moviemaking
March 9, 2017
It doesn't have the emotional stakes that Peter Jackson's King Kong brings to the table, but when it comes to special effects and scary moments, the original, 1933 "King Kong" still shock us even till this day. It's original, it's fun, and... also racist. Seriously, they casted black people to play the dangerous Native Americans people in the movie. I mean, wtf? Nevertheless, it's the film that brought King Kong to the screen and changed the use of special effects forever.
March 8, 2017
King Kong is a character that has been retold and re-imagined so many different times that it should feel tiresome and worn out. But one can't truly scold the property until he's seen the original piece. So in preparation for Kong: Skull Island, I've decided to take a look at the film that started it all.

The 1933 King Kong film is dated, and I understand that. But I don't think there's any question how important this film was to cinema. It's groundbreaking use of stop-motion was unmatched at the time and left a huge mark in that style's legacy. I genuinely wasn't sure how they pulled off some of the stunts and animations. Sure, it's not always crisp, but there's nothing quite like it.

Because I've seen other iterations of the famed giant ape, I know where the story ultimately goes. But I never found that to be distracting. How did the original treat Ann Darrow? Or Carl Denham? Did they make Kong out to be more of an anti-hero or straight menacing? These were questions I found myself wondering, and surprisingly enough, not everything is the same in Peter Jackson's 2005 remake. Perhaps a product of the time, but Darrow is treated much more like a damsel in distress than a real human being. I think she did more screaming and crying than she actually spoke words. Maybe monster movies aren't always the destination for well-told character dramas, but there didn't seem to be much of an effort to develop the humans at all.

It is those humans, however, that should take all of the heat for the events of the film. Just like in most monster movies, it's the humans who go looking for trouble and seem frustratingly stunned when they eventually do find it. I can only hope that Skull Island treats that situation with more care than most monster pictures do. The 1933 King Kong film isn't just another monster picture though. Just because I saw this nearly 85 years later doesn't mean I can't appreciate all that this film did for the genre. Great pacing, groundbreaking special effects, and a ton of action make for an entertaining experience. An experience unlike anything else I have seen before.

+Effects

+Holds a legacy unlike any other monster film

-Characters don't always act like humans.

8.3/10