King Kong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Kong Reviews

March 9, 2017
Sure some of the acting is wooden and corny but Armstrong as Denham is perfect! Plus this is 1933 for crying out loud. And the only thing that matters here is Kong anyway. Kong is still magic to watch in all his Stop Motion glory. 1933 people, and this is 2017. Still holds up as a rollicking adventure with a few scares.
½ March 9, 2017
the first film of classic cinema to introduce one of the most memorable monsters of all time
King Kong makes his first appearance; the effects look very dated but they still remain very revolutionary to this day, the use of the stop motion brings this giant behemoth to life
the film has a fast pace, plenty of creatures to go around, and Kong rules in every scene
the human characters on the other hand are a bit underdeveloped, plus the natives are reduced to racist stereotypes and Kong is pretty much a violent brute
but the film rarely slows down which is good because the filmmakers zip by as much as possible, and they have Kong connect with Ann Darrow in a few minor instances
still a gem of early moviemaking
March 9, 2017
It doesn't have the emotional stakes that Peter Jackson's King Kong brings to the table, but when it comes to special effects and scary moments, the original, 1933 "King Kong" still shock us even till this day. It's original, it's fun, and... also racist. Seriously, they casted black people to play the dangerous Native Americans people in the movie. I mean, wtf? Nevertheless, it's the film that brought King Kong to the screen and changed the use of special effects forever.
March 8, 2017
King Kong is a character that has been retold and re-imagined so many different times that it should feel tiresome and worn out. But one can't truly scold the property until he's seen the original piece. So in preparation for Kong: Skull Island, I've decided to take a look at the film that started it all.

The 1933 King Kong film is dated, and I understand that. But I don't think there's any question how important this film was to cinema. It's groundbreaking use of stop-motion was unmatched at the time and left a huge mark in that style's legacy. I genuinely wasn't sure how they pulled off some of the stunts and animations. Sure, it's not always crisp, but there's nothing quite like it.

Because I've seen other iterations of the famed giant ape, I know where the story ultimately goes. But I never found that to be distracting. How did the original treat Ann Darrow? Or Carl Denham? Did they make Kong out to be more of an anti-hero or straight menacing? These were questions I found myself wondering, and surprisingly enough, not everything is the same in Peter Jackson's 2005 remake. Perhaps a product of the time, but Darrow is treated much more like a damsel in distress than a real human being. I think she did more screaming and crying than she actually spoke words. Maybe monster movies aren't always the destination for well-told character dramas, but there didn't seem to be much of an effort to develop the humans at all.

It is those humans, however, that should take all of the heat for the events of the film. Just like in most monster movies, it's the humans who go looking for trouble and seem frustratingly stunned when they eventually do find it. I can only hope that Skull Island treats that situation with more care than most monster pictures do. The 1933 King Kong film isn't just another monster picture though. Just because I saw this nearly 85 years later doesn't mean I can't appreciate all that this film did for the genre. Great pacing, groundbreaking special effects, and a ton of action make for an entertaining experience. An experience unlike anything else I have seen before.

+Effects

+Holds a legacy unlike any other monster film

-Characters don't always act like humans.

8.3/10
March 8, 2017
At one point the greatest film of all time, King Kong is an inspirational classic that can't be beat by any reboot or sequel. with excellent stop motion and editing this truly is one of the greats.
March 6, 2017
The best American monster movie (and the best American monster). The end still chokes me up. The film is filled with classic scenes and lines, and the special effects were truly ahead of their time (and are still impressive and cool today). It's a film that easily keeps us enthralled in its grasp. The human characters aren't the strongest (Jack is the typical tough guy who is really a softie underneath, and Fay Wray is called upon to scream and look wide-eyed. I will say Denham is likely the most compelling human character), but it always has been and always will be Kong that we return for, Many movies have tried to replicate this film's success, but there can be only one king.
½ March 3, 2017
interesting for being a black and white
February 12, 2017
A special effects masterpiece!
January 28, 2017
way ahead of its times
½ January 22, 2017
Exhilarating; gorgeously interpreted and skillfully directed, Kin Kong can't be more than one of the most unforgettable classics ever.
½ December 28, 2016
Personally I thought that the film started out slow and boring.

The story and how it is told is crewed. The crew is obsessed with killing anything not human or like them. They shoot dinosaurs for no reason.

Kong agressivly and cruelly kills creatures like lizards, snakes, Dinosaurs.

What gets me is the creatures don't look consistent in three ought the film. Kongs face consistently changes.

The fights even get pretty bloody and graphic.

King Kong was all about raising and making money showing as a specticol.

The humans are so dumb in this film.

Kong almost acts like a pervert with the girl.

They made Kong a slave captive.

The city looks so fake when Kong is incorporated into the scenes. .

"It was Beauty that killed the Beast." which is so dumb because it is such a lie. The humans were the problem causing extension of animals that should not have been messed with their habitat. Not only that but the one responsible for causing so much trouble and seeking out Kong. He is not willing to take credit that he was responsible for causing all the death and trouble.

The human story is so dumb. The only smart one in the film was Asian guy on the boat.

This film was pumped out quickly and it shows from the stop motion.

I felt like this film was so dumb. It did not use critical thinking or thought provoking ideas before pursuing action. They just went strait to action. They just went into kill, kill, kill. There was no real character development or investment.
December 17, 2016
Great special effects and sets, performances, and memorable moments make this one landmark on monster movie history unforgettable.
November 25, 2016
King Kong still holds up today you can watch it now and it seems it was made yesterday. The clay motion in this movie is honestly better than today's flashy CGI, The part where Kong kills the t-Rex is really cool .
November 25, 2016
A classic with special effects that still retain charming. Kong, a stop motion creation has more emotion then the rest of the human cast.
November 21, 2016
OBVIOUSLY it's a bit dated, but it's also classic. Full to the brim with thrills and spills.
November 19, 2016
A fantastic classic which we cannot forget and I hope kong skull Island is as good as the original
November 7, 2016
The mystery slowly builds in this classic movie, and once the characters reach Skull Island then the real action and drama begins. I watched the original uncensored version of the film and was surprised at the level of horror. Containing breakthrough special effects and some classic scenes, this film is entertaining from start to finish. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time and one of the top fantasy movies of all time. 1001
October 9, 2016
Visually thrilling, masterful special effects, King Kong could pass as an movie twenty years from its time.