King Kong (1976)
Average Rating: 4.7/10
Reviews Counted: 24
Fresh: 11 | Rotten: 13
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 2.8/5
User Ratings: 57,085
Famed producer Dino De Laurentiis tries to steal the thunder from Jaws, then the top-grossing film of all-time, in this big budget remake of King Kong. (De Laurentiis related his tactics to Tom Snyder: "When Jaws dies, nobody cries. When Kong dies, they all cry.") Updated to the 1970s, the original Robert Armstrong character is now Fred Wilson (Charles Grodin), a big-shot oil magnate from Petrox Oil, looking for new petroleum deposits on a recently discovered Pacific island. Jack Prescott (Jeff
Dec 17, 1976 Wide
Jul 27, 1999
Watch It Now
Ape Masked Man in Da...
Air Force Colonel
Shea Stadium Spectat...
Army Helicopter Pilo...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Not as bad as reputed, this Kong has some good moments + great Barry score.
An amazing motion picture experience....Lange's as memorable as she is mesmerising
Fairly entertaining remake
Filme de estréia de Lange, que rouba o filme com suas belíssimas pernas, seus decotes e sua beleza. É uma pena que o roteiro seja tão burocrático e sem imaginação.
Rent the real thing.
Why, why, why did they bother?
Dino de Laurentis se atrevió a hacer lo que muy pocos tienen las agallas de intentar: realizar el remake de un clásico por antonomasia: King Kong.
easy to mock, but hard to truly dislike
Audience Reviews for King Kong
- Camahan: [conversing with Wilson over the 2-way radio regarding the next procedure in the search for Kong and Dwan] There's gonna be somebody on that radar all night, isn't there?
- Fred Wilson: [in a tone of weary disgust] Any large furry BLIPS seen moving in your direction, you will KNOW...! Sweet dreams and out.
- Fred Wilson: Ah, the power of it. Ah, the superpower! Hail to the power! Hail to the power of Kong! And Petrox!
- Dwan: You know I had my horoscope done before I flew out to Hong Kong. And it said that I was going to cross over water and meet the biggest person in my life.
- Fred Wilson: [as the "Petrox Explorer" comes in sight of Skull Island] ... Did you ever wonder how Hernando Cortez felt when he discovered the Lost Treasure of the Incas?
- Jack Prescott: That wasn't Cortez; it was Pizarro. And he died flat broke.
- Fred Wilson: Take plenty of TNT when you go inland. Any sign of a monkey bigger than four feet, send him bang-bang.
- Jack Prescott: Kong! Kong! Kong! Kong! you heard them chant that! He exists. You saw the wall, right? Now who the hell do you think they're planning to give that girl to?
- Fred Wilson: It's some nutty religion. A priest gets dressed up like an ape and gets laid.
Discuss King Kong on our Movie forum!
Latest News on King Kong
August 13, 2012:Carlo Rambaldi: 1925-2012
The special effects pioneer, whose work helped define Italian horror and fantasy films, has passed...
March 1, 2010:Exclusive: Oscar Nominee Jeff Bridges on Crazy Heart - The RT Interview
With an impressive career spanning 50 years, Jeff Bridges started out as a young whippersnapper on...
December 2, 2005:"King Kong" Photo Gallery Update: 82 Pics!
The good folks over at Universal have released another slew of production stills from Peter...