King Kong Reviews

• 6d ago

A sub-par, but watchable remake that's man in a gorilla suit effect holds up worse than the 1933 stop-motion animation in the original classic.

• Jan 06, 2020

Some real cheesy dialogue in particular from a young Jessica Lange and a script that lacks further character development however the effects of the giant ape for the time period are impressive. Plus you can’t help but feel sorry for the big guy.

• Dec 15, 2019

Unlikable Characters with a boring island and creepy gorilla monster that we're supposed to sympathize with.

• Dec 09, 2019

I was deeply surprised by the quality of this movie. There were only a few negative qualities, like the expressions that Kong made weren't perfectly displaying his emotions and the Fred character being a bit heavyhanded, and Lange's punches on Kong being done poorly. I loved the job that Bridges & Lange did and felt they should've been cast together all the time, such was their chemistry. Lange in particular I thought did a fantastic job. The special effects were truly impressive, particularly in the era before computers, the most effective being Kong's destruction of the gate and the subway train. A better film score could've made the movie better, but it was still appreciable. The script was deftly written and featured a lot of wit. The death scene was honestly one of the saddest that I've seen in a movie!

• Oct 17, 2019

Not a great film but no where near as bad as everyone claims.

Not a great film but no where near as bad as everyone claims.

• Jan 28, 2019

There's something to be said for the rudimentary, antiquated special effects of the 1933 original, for while the visuals here are no doubt technically more realistic and believable, they nonetheless lack the novel charm and jagged-edged innovation that made that earlier classic feel so much bigger and more mythic. Though the move no doubt aims for higher heights---with its more deeply developed interspecies love story, its taller sky scrapers, and its more urgent environmentalist message---the end result, like the replacement of the Empire State Building with the Twin Tours, is typically bland rather than grand, feeling not more massive, just overly long. If anything, what works best about the film are the moments where it undercuts its own ambition and gravity with campy, ironic panache, aware that it can never live up to the legend of the first box office beast, even if the original is overrated, instead taking shots at its primal absurdity in hopes of of knocking the story down a few stories.

• Jan 03, 2019

It's not bad, as it's reputation suggests, but is a huge step down from the original masterpiece! Jeff Bridges is probably the best of the cast, being charismatic and fun. Lange is not as terrible as some make out to be, but she's still not very good; she's not bad and actually is likeable at times, despite some bad dialogue and I mean BAD dialogue. King Kong is the star of the show here, but is much more creepy and human like than his predecessor. The love story between Dwan and Kong is really creepy as Kong looks upon her in an overly expressive mask. The original King Kong was more animalistic, which made us feel more sorry for him when he was taken from his habitat. Moving on, some of the effects are utterly fantastic, which is due to Rick Baker working in the production. The score is quite good in it's own right as well, but once again inferior to the original. Overall, the film has a 70's charm to it and is not bad at all, with a very charismatic Jeff Bridges and a gorgeous Jessica Lange, who does the best she can with the clunky dialogue given to her, even if she ultimately is inferior to Watts and Wray. It's an ok movie, but is no match for the 05 and 33 versions!

• Dec 12, 2018

This was such an awful remake. So awful. I hated this movie so much. Garbage. Rating: 3/10

• Dec 12, 2018

3.5/5. Not as good as the original, but a solid remake. Jessica Lange is annoying, the effects are hit-and-miss, and they don't do enough on the island, but Bridges and Grodin are solid and the film does a good job making us sympathize with Kong.

• Nov 26, 2018