King Solomon's Mines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Solomon's Mines Reviews

November 24, 2016
I saw this film so many years ago and had enjoyed it then, because it was basically like the stories of the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films I justo loved as a child,but it is just too reminiscent of those films now, even if it is done far more justice than any other H. Ryder Haggard film ever made.
April 4, 2016
Well done, enjoyable.
November 16, 2014
OMG, Stewart Granger has come to Hollywood, to make this 1950 version of King Solomon's Mines, which was made in 1937, earlier on.
Also starring Deborah Kerr as Elizabeth Curtis, who wants Quatermain to find her husband.
But three years later, Mogambo was made as a remake of the 1932 film Red Dust, also starring Clark Gable, in this remake of Red Dust, with Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly.
½ August 18, 2014
Allan Quatermain takes us on an adventurous expedition through Africa. At times the story could use more excitement, but the cinematography was impressive. I enjoyed the spectacular footage of the African land and wildlife. (First and only viewing - 8/18/2014)
July 28, 2014
Fine movie, a bit simple, but to be the first film that was filmed in Africa must have made it quite the hit.
½ March 26, 2014
I saw this movie today on TCM. It was really peculiar because Frankie Avalon was in it and that could not possibly be. I looked in the credits for the character named Brian and there was none. Then immediately following this movie was 'Drums of Africa'with Frankie Avalon. They had taken scenes from the 1950 version and incorporated it into 'Drums'. I understand this but why is Avalon in the 1950's version? HELP BTW. Deborah Kerr was stunning.
½ February 23, 2014
Boring and leads to a even more boring ending.
December 5, 2013
Wonderful adventure. It's all about the stunning visuals certainly not the rather frail story.
August 16, 2013
In the times in which nature and drama used to be appealing, romantic adventures like this were made. It is an authentic production matchless to any other adventure film beacause of its romantic adventurous aspects and its faultless array. Each scene is so well narrated and the romance perfectly treated, sometimes this powerful human drama goes from a Hollywood production to an amazing documentary. 100% perfect!
February 23, 2013
"A woman on safari? No, thank you!" 1950s sexism and racism aside, this is a solid jungle adventure film. H. Rider Haggard's Indiana Jones prototype, Allan Quatermain, is in search for a mysterious lost diamond mine, with lots of jungle adventure along the way. However, I think the real star of the film is the the gorgeous location color photography, which was later reused as stock footage in a number of other films.
February 16, 2013
An amazing film, and I'm 12. I'm so proud to be related to Compton Bennett.
½ February 1, 2013
Rousing adaptation lavishly produced by Sam Zimbalist about H. Rider Haggard's classic adventure novel--Colorful Adventure!!
January 29, 2013
Monday, June 25, 2012

(1950) King Solomon's Mines
ADVENTURE

Most realistic portrayl of Allan Quatermain whose been turned into an mythical "Indiana Jones" type of figure in the 1980's starring Richard Chamberline ever since the success of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark". Anyways, actor Stewart Granger as Quartermain an Englishman whose lived in Africa most of his life, a hired guide through the jungles of Africa aiding Elizabeth Curtis played by the ravishing Deborah Kerr in search of her archeologist husband who was pronounced missing. The chemistry and the arising sexual tension between Kerr and Granger are the main highlights here, with interesting tidbits about African natives as well including it's culture is just as entertaining as "The Naked Prey" and "Trader Horn" to name a few.

WARNING: Don't expect this film to be another Indiana Jones type of film, first by considering the time it was made and second by it's synopsis.

3 out of 4
January 27, 2013
Dated classic has colonial racial views.
½ November 10, 2012
The wife (Deborah Kerr) of an explorer travels to Africa in search of her missing husband. When she arrives, she is met by a guide (Stewart Granger), also an ambitious explorer and they follow the trail they believe the husband took during his trek. Unfortunately, it is an intense and unsettling ride for the two individuals, who eventual develop a romance between one another. Has nice production values and great scenery, especially the animals, but it was not a great film for me by any means. It lacked power in terms of both drama and chemistry and the film, by today's standards, does not stick in the memory box for me. It is an okay saga of exploration.
½ May 17, 2012
Beautiful scenery, but I found it far fetched and sort of silly.
February 18, 2012
Why is this listed twice? Get it out of here!
November 27, 2011
Great White Hunters slaughter their way across Africa in search of missing diamond hunters. Out of date moral attitudes, dodgy racial and sexual stereotypes in a crap rip-off of the novel.
½ August 2, 2011
KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1950)