Kung Fu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kung Fu Reviews

August 20, 2016
Awesome 1972-1975 TV western series with a twist ??????
November 8, 2013
why is kung fu on here and it is not available?
October 27, 2012
I've never seen an episode of the TV series, but might have to check it out. This was good.
March 10, 2012
Kung-fu marathon tonight, this so really gets you right
½ June 8, 2011
Pilot for tv series has Shaolin priest fleeing homeland, travelling the Old West armed with martial arts skill, Eastern philosophy and sense of justice. Great flashbacks, the definitive David Carradine film. A must-see.
December 24, 2010
This is the pilot film (the film that sells the story to televeision for a series). David Carradine stars as a Chinese-American priest trained in discipline, humility, perception and the art of karate-judo.

Hunted for the murder of Chinese royalty, the priest finds work with a railroad crew and he humbles the white villain bosses with his superior ways.

Flashbacks of the priest's boyhood training allow the film to avoid using the usual western stuff. Carradine is very good in the lead and gets fine support from Barry Sullivan and Albert Salmi as the bad guys.

Grasshopper(his childhood nickname), now you know the rest of the story.

Director: Jerry Thorpe
Writers: Ed Spielman (teleplay), Howard Friedlander (teleplay
Stars:David Carradine, Barry Sullivan and Albert Salmi
November 18, 2010
Absolutely brilliant TV pilot.
½ February 2, 2010
See this movie grasshoppa.
½ December 15, 2009
My husband wanted to buy this set as he loved watching it as a kid. I had never watched it so sat down with him thinking it would prob be naff (judging by a lot of things we used to watch as kids!). It certainly has a naff quality about it, and it gets slated a lot by people, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed watching them, I think they're brilliant. I love the peaceful buddhist aura that David Carradine has about him in these episodes; very similar to what he portrayed in Kill Bill (aside from shooting his wife in the head lol!!!!). Really love the beginning of each episode with the look Master Po gives him when they are fighting....brilliant
½ October 12, 2009
1972's TV pilot movie that would launch the classic TV series as well as David Carradine's career. This film has a simple plot yet it's so effective. His character does not have many lines yet Carradine's acting as a Shaolin Monk was simply superb and engaging. The production didn't look like it had tons of money behind it,but other than that,I can see why they decided to continue the series after this little gem. Recommended!
August 5, 2009
Bought the Pilot episode, and it was great. Kung Fu and a Western. The late great David Carradine...good stuff. Considering it was made 35yrs ago, it's held up well.
June 7, 2009
David C. it the best movie and actor we all going to miss him as well. 1936-2009
June 6, 2009
The pilot for the famous TV series is also a tv movie in its own right. It's fascinating to watch the story arcs mapped out for commercial breaks in comparison to the way the same technique is used now.
October 26, 2008
Wonderful movie, full of poetry and excellent philosophy. A must see for everyone interested in good messages.
½ September 17, 2008
ITS KUNG FU!! come on
½ September 17, 2008
How is that everyone instantly thinks Caine is Chinese, he certaintly doesn't look full-blooded (the stupidity of casting a non-Asian to play a half-Asian). Besides that point, the series is very good.
July 23, 2008
This movie length pilot for the following series is good, maybe not up to 5 stars but I give it 5 stars because it sets the scene for the series, which I am currently watching, and am very much a fan of. Some of the philosophy seems ambiguous at times, but much of what happens is just so thought provoking
May 20, 2008
David Carradine plays an Asian man who is not really Asian. He travels the country, helping people when he can. This pissies off Bad Guys, who then say "I am gonna fight you." to which he calmly replies "I do not wish to fight you." which provokes the Bad Guys into attacking him, resulting in Carradine having to KICK THEIR ASSES.
May 20, 2008
david carradine stars and direct's the film . i taught it was good !
May 8, 2008
I said i like KUNG FU movies....i never said that this was my favorite movie....what the hell facebook!!