The Lady Vanishes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lady Vanishes Reviews

½ July 26, 2015
An intriguing story, an amusing cast, and a superb direction by Alfred Hitchcock, The Lady Vanishes is a memorable classic thriller and a perfect mix of humor and suspense!
½ June 9, 2015
Fun, stylish (for the time), and entertaining thriller/mystery. While the twists certainly are inventive for such an early film, it plays a bit too clean cut and innocent for a Hitchcock film. You can tell that the great auteur and visionary had yet to find his groove as a storyteller, and yet he still manages to produce here a film that can stand head and shoulders above many movies given 99 minutes to work worth that are created these days. If you're a film nut or an amateur Hitchcock historian, it's a virtual must see. As a stand alone film though, you won't be persecuted if you decide to pass on this one.
June 8, 2015
Right now, Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese are the masters of cinema. Back in the day, I'd say Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock were the masters of cinema. Admittedly, I've not seen any of Hitchcock's films, which is shameful as I am a lover of cinema. Well, now that's been remedied; I saw one. "The Lady Vanishes" is directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It stars Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Paul Lucas, and Dame May Whitty.

The film takes place in , where two Englishmen are on their way back home. Also on her way home is a young women (Lockwood), who intends to marry her suitor when she arrives. On the night before the trip, she meets a young man and an elderly women named Mrs. Froyd. Whilst on the train the following day, her elderly companion disappears, and no one acknowledges she ever existed.

While the plot is quite simple, this was a very good film. Hitchcock does a brilliant job directing this little film. What I found most impressive were the miniatures and set pieces. I think back to a film last year. The Grand Budapest Hotel-directed by Wes Anderson-is similar to this classic in some respects. I can definitely see where Anderson possibly got some inspiration. The wonderful sets, costumes, and beautiful black and white cinematography make this a superb movie. Also, the script was delightful! It's full of fantastic dialogue and witty humor.
March 31, 2015
It was good and it kept me interested.
March 25, 2015
Really, no complaints. Great balance of comedy and action. For a 1930s film, the set is absolutely spectacular and as the film went on I found myself more and more impressed. This is a classic AH film for a reason!
½ March 23, 2015
In his best comedy, Hitchcock demonstrates that the line between humour and horror is very thin and that he can manipulate an audience in both directions in rapid succession with ease.
March 7, 2015
Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. An early hidden gem for Hitchcock fans.
February 3, 2015
Hilarious, entertaining, mysterious, romantic, and ahead of its time, The Lady Vanishes is one of Hitchcock's 1st masterpieces.
January 29, 2015
The Lady Vanishes is an excellent. It is about a rich young playgirl realizes that an elderly lady seems to have disappeared from the train while traveling in continental Europe. Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Alfred Hitchcock did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the mystery. The Lady Vanishes is a must see.
½ January 26, 2015
Classic Hitchcock with brilliant cast...and very funny
½ January 20, 2015
Absolutamente genial , entre suspense y comedia y unos dialogos inteligentes y divertidos para muestra ino de ellos : Posee Ud 2 grandes cualidades que yo admiraba de mi padre, no tiene ni la màs mìnima educaciòn y siempre està distraida cuando le hablo.
January 16, 2015
Great movie, one of the best directed by Hitchcock. Magnificent script and direction!
January 11, 2015
Well that cured my appetite for an old movie. A good Hitchcock movie of old fashioned intrigue.
½ January 9, 2015
(86%)
The opening scenes set in an alpine hotel are like the lines on an old man's face. They really do highlight how old this film is. Not to say that they are bad, they are just of a time long gone. But once this gets going it's as thrilling as any well made modern production of the past twenty-five or so years. As like most Hitchcock movies the female lead character is painfully pretty; but the tone here is a touch lighter than most, which if anything works better than it it had overly serious one. The exciting and well handled shoot-out action towards the end is not something you get too often in movies of this age; and really if it's a classic entertaining mystery flick you're after then this is pretty much a perfect target.
December 27, 2014
Classic Hitchcock thriller that is superbly set up and delivers brilliantly. It shows early signs of the traits that were to be consistently improved and tightened; especially in during the chaos of the last third which isn't quite as taught as it should be. Nevertheless an effective mystery with a host of nicely rounded characters albeit most are here for comic relief.
December 21, 2014
Probably the best of Hitchcock's earlier works. Highly entertaining, fun, good old fashion mystery. An almost perfect cast and great story, with just a little amount of humour. A classic not to be missed.
December 20, 2014
'The Lady Vanishes' dares to unsettle the viewers as much as enamor them in a romanticized and humorous take on the classic thriller. Director Alfred Hitchcock's skill in captivating audiences makes itself evident in this film from the opening scene, a swoop down from the clouds into a humble, miniature village. The two leads, played by Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave, give authentic performances and are delicate in their approach. The genuine emotion displayed by all of the actors and fair exposition that their characters receive make it impossible to not invest fully into the action at all times. Pacing, perhaps the most make-or-break quality in the thriller genre, is executed to perfection. Hitchcock masterfully shifts the tone between comfortable and eerily claustrophobic thanks to the editing, framing, and set design. Beneath the surface and aside the jokes, 'The Lady Vanishes' still provides an interesting analysis on honesty and trust. Exploration of these themes complements the social commentary towards pre-WWII Europe in an imaginative way. 'The Lady Vanishes' has aged extremely well, and keeps the audience charmed by the humor and beguiled by intrigue.
½ October 28, 2014
The Lady Vanishes is a classic suspense movie. This film is a bit ridiculous in parts, but the story is compelling. It preys on some very common fears. I consider this a "tier 2" Hitchcock film, alongside the likes of Rope and Lifeboat. It's definitely worth a watch.
October 23, 2014
Double Thumbs Up
Viewed this on 22/10/14
The Lady Vanishes is one of the most unusual and surprising films of Hitchcock that I have ever seen. It looks like after Psyco(1960), Strangers on a Train(1951) and Rope(1948), I have finally liked a Hitchcock film that I could call it one of my favourites. This film is really unique and it has a lots of plot twists, comedy, action, thrills and a huge amount of mystery. The film leaves a hefty view on how the films were made during those times, for example the opening scene itself, showing a miniature town model which is set up to shoot on as a real town and the effects that are used then to make it mobile one.
October 21, 2014
Unlike other Hitchcock films, this one does not hold up well over time. Probably the only Hitchcock film I hadn't seen- definitely the worst.