Laura - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Laura Reviews

February 21, 2016
A beautifully shot whodunnit.
February 8, 2016
A noir classic that has all the usual tropes but manages to avoid cliches, thanks to an emphasis on the characters involved, and some sparkling dialogue.
January 14, 2016
A mediocre gumshoe drama with vaguely interesting characters and a meandering story. This whodunit provokes audiences into a resounding "meh."
½ January 3, 2016
Normally I am a huge fan of older film noirs. To be honest, Laura did not feel like much of a noir to me until the story and lighting gets darker in the final third of the film.

We have characteristics of film noir - the unreliable narrator (which is somewhat confusing since he only seems to narrate at the very beginning), a story that focuses on crime - specifically the aftermath of the murder of the titular character - and as I have stated, darkness found towards the conclusion of the film. A lot of the film seems like a boring love triangle drama - make that a love square consisting of Laura, Detective McPherson, the film's brief narrator: Lydecker, and Carpenter. Naturally, each man offers something different to Laura and each has his own flaws. Unfortunately, none of these romances is developed well enough so we never know which one is supposed to be the focus of the story.

This conflicting love triangle is one of two stories in the film - the other focusing on the question of who attempted to murder Laura and why. If the film was more devoted to this mystery rather than the underdeveloped romances Laura has with different men, this may have turned out to be a very tense film similar to the repertoire of Hitchcock. Luckily this film is saved from being below decent since its conclusion is tense and to the point. No falling action in this film, leaving it to end on an exciting climax.

I plan to revisit this film in the near future to make sure I did not miss something which would make this film great. Overall this is a well-made film, but a tad boring in my opinion.

2.5/4.0
January 2, 2016
"Laura" is a classic noir film so rich in dialogue and murder mystery that it makes viewers anticipate each scene that is paced perfectly, blending the shadows and the obsession until the final act when the big unveiling happens.
December 25, 2015
Vincent Price finally stars in a somewhat minor role and doesn't have the strong accent that we have all come to love and know. He has some light British accent with a touch of the South, probably because this is an American film. This is also not an American International Pictures film like almost all of his films. Anyway, the plot is pretty good. This is a crime drama, moreso a murder mystery. But it's well done and is just about the right running time, it's a great film with good acting and the lead actress of Laura, is very good. Easily, worth a watch and not violent at all.
½ December 24, 2015
It has all of the flaws of a 1944 movie: overacting, etc. But entertaining mystery that holds your interest.
½ December 13, 2015
Laura is a handsome movie, bathed in a classy, smoky atmosphere, but more important than its aesthetic prowess is its complexity. The plot is very creative and unpredictable, the characters are unusual and intriguing and I'll have to watch the film again to catch all the nuances of this film. It's narrative structure and character development are fantastic, but it's dialogue also had an acidic wit, many of the characters were charming and Gene Tierney is incredibly beautiful in this movie, even though I didn't connect with her character emotionally to a great degree.
½ December 13, 2015
A good whodunit noir that, despite a plot weakened by contrivances (the worst being the detective falling in love with a dead woman's portrait), is memorable mostly because of David Raksin's score and the film's great dialogue (with Clifton Webb, fantastic, getting the most cynical, priceless lines).
November 28, 2015
never in a million years, would i have expected to find Vincent Price so dashing. as he creeped me out all throughout my childhood.
½ November 27, 2015
Laura is a brilliant work that truly stands the test of time due to its engrossing plot, terrific acting, great direction, great cinematography, and brilliant look at the pitfalls of obsession. A classic noir in every right, Laura grabs you from the very beginning and leaves you guessing as to who really pulled the trigger. Laura is timeless.
½ November 12, 2015
Otto Preminger's breezy noir is a chilling suspense piece powered by good ol' fashioned character depth and brittle vocal exchanges. Laura is a film of fabulous form and function. But its leading lady is film noir's first anti-femme fatale - and in this setup, she simply doesn't work.
Before we meet her, Laura is painted as an enchantress: the living embodiment of fascination and desire. When we meet her, in the form of Gene Tierney's doe-eyed teeny bopper, she doesn't quite deliver the goods. Preminger sees her as a quietly pretty Dorian Gray but, in this genre, with all the men running rings around her, she needs to be more of a sly Lauren Bacall.
Laura is the central subject of the plot, but Tierney becomes faceless and forgotten in view of Clifton Webb's stiff, manipulative Waldo; the movie's real narrative agent. Even an un-moustachioed Vincent Price suppressing his signature drawl has more stage presence than poor little Laura.
The film's melodramatic plot is characterised by a peculiar air of carelessness, which only adds to the intrigue, and Preminger's picture is, in every which way, a smouldering slow-burner with bags of character. It's just a shame that the same can't be said for its miscast and mis-written leading lady.
November 3, 2015
Easily one of the top five film noirs of all time.
½ October 22, 2015
Such a good noir romance!!
October 16, 2015
To know Laura is to love Laura, even to the detective investigating her murder.
½ October 8, 2015
Very clever potboiler with some very unforgetful performances.
½ October 5, 2015
Laura is such a great noir film with a well crafted plot, sophisticated dialogue, superb acting across the board and well depicted relationships and motifs of the characters. It may be predictable at times, but it is still an incredibly well directed and shot movie with a lot to offer and it is one of the finest noirs out there.
September 17, 2015
"Laura" gives nothing away, and makes for a good watch.
½ September 7, 2015
I was actually surprised by the revelation of the killer, which is rare for me. I loved the final scene and the mystery throughout the entire film. It has been a very long time since I have seen such a greatly thought out mystery.
August 18, 2015
Concise, gorgeously filmed, classic noir.