Legend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legend Reviews

November 27, 2017
My favorite film from childhood, and the perfect film to show your kids.
November 7, 2017
One of the best fantasy movies ever made. Proof that Ridley Scott can direct any genre and make it great. Tim Curry does an awesome job as the devil and its interesting to see a younger tom cruise. The practical effects are awesome, espsecially the forest which they built huge trees inside a warehouse and it came out so surreal. Definatly a must watch.
½ October 3, 2017
Ridley Scott's 1980s fantasy epic brings a lot of cheese and kitsch into the genre, which is also the aspect of the film that didn't age that well. The make-up effects and production design hold up really well after all those years, you gotta admit that the magic forest as it is shown here has more atmosphere and depth than in most fantasy films of the 90s. The movie's biggest asset, apart from seeing Tom Cruise taking his first big screen steps, is Tim Curry in his mask as the lord of Darkness. He gets more acting across with his eyes and evil laughter than other actors throughout their whole career. If only he had more screen time and there was less cheese and random weirdness, this would be a highlight of the genre. As it is, it still works as a guilty pleasure for a cold winter afternoon.
September 10, 2017
It is a classic fairy tale and a good one at that.
September 5, 2017
It?s hard for me to put my finger on why Legend felt so bland to me. It has some elements I should love, like awesome lead actors, a fun fantasy story, a romantic subplot, great makeup effects, and more. However, while it was certainly a fine way to pass the time, it did nothing to impress me. The characters don't have much personality, which is big problem. Part of that stems from the fact that it feels like they are thrust into the story so fast, without establishing them. Then new people/creatures are thrown into the mix quickly without much explanation of who they are or why they are getting involved.

It wasn?t until the climax that I finally was getting hooked into the story of Legend. Adding in Tim Curry as the villain doesn?t hurt that part of the film at all. He elevates some of the weaker moments in this film simply with his big performance, and gives me someone to root against even if the protagonists struggle to earn my affection. I don?t really blame Tom Cruise and Mia Sara for how I felt about them in this film, because their dialogue was bad and often their behavior was illogical. I wanted to love Legend because it?s a style of film I typically embrace wholeheartedly, but I simply found it lacking and largely forgettable. But I?m willing to bet if 9-year-old me had seen this movie instead of Labyrinth my opinion would be a lot different.
September 2, 2017
Ridley Scott tries his hand at fairy tale fantasy to mixed results. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous and the character make up is astonishing, still holding up 30+ years later. However, the story line moves at a snail's pace and we're not quite sure what is going on toward the end of the film. Slow motion photography utilized in unnecessary scenes and a hero that lacks any type of charisma, Tom Cruise as Jack, lead us to a path to nowhere. Mia Sara is beautiful as Lili and Tim Curry camps it up to great effect as the demonic Darkness.
½ August 30, 2017
awful narrative. better watched as a kid
½ August 21, 2017
Superb fantasy epic from Ridley Scott, starring attractive young leads Cruise and Mia Sara against Curry's Satan-inspired Demon King.
½ August 5, 2017
This movie is wonder and visually stunning the acting is wonderful and he story is interesting to be fair there are a few cringe worthy moments but other than that it is a movie definitely worth watching
July 24, 2017
Visually it is miles ahead of anything the lord of the rings had to offer almost 20 years later. Sadly it doesn't take away from a stretched, often boring story, and the constant close-ups become very tiring very soon.
June 4, 2017
Malísima. No tenía muy buen recuerdo de ella, y al verla recientemente recordé por qué
May 18, 2017
The visuals are awesome in this. I think this may be the best movie I have ever seen that makes absolutely no sense...
½ April 5, 2017
Strong visuals, but weak world building.
February 26, 2017
This was my favorite movie when I was 13, full of magic and darkness and light and truly unique. Beautifully made, visually stunning and a real treat for the senses. I was thrilled to share this movie with my 13 and 10 year old and share a gorgeous film that touched me deeply when I was young.
½ January 20, 2017
Enjoyable but flawed fantasy film in both it's theatrical & director's cuts. The cast is uneven, with Tom Cruise, in a rare time, uncharismatic as Jack, though he does show his physical prowess as an action star. Mia Sara, though, is angelic & tempting as Lili in a nice debut. The standout, though, is Tim Curry's brilliant performance as Darkness, who combined with Rob Bottin's brilliant make-up, creates the definitive version of the Devil. Powerful, evil yet sensual with a bit of pathos (you actually feel he has affection for Lili), he is the reason most have fond memories of this film. Behind the camera, Ridley Scott, as usual, crafts a visually stunning film but both the theatrical & director's cuts have their strengths & weaknesses. The theatrical version has a better ending and Tangerine Dream's score is more epic & unique than Jerry Goldsmith's original work (it's a fine score sounds like most other fantasy films). However, the director's cut's longer length gives better character development, along with keeping Darkness completely hidden until his full reveal, making it more impactful. It makes one wish Scott would do a 'final cut' like he did with "Blade Runner", combining the best of both versions. Nevertheless, they are both still enjoyable and while flawed, make for fine fantasy viewing.
December 31, 2016
Lame opening, gets better. Decent costumes, some boring parts
December 25, 2016
Tim Curry is a fun Devil. The film is fun fluff, though it does drag at some points. On Blu-Ray.
½ November 20, 2016
Legend is a corny 80s classic that nevertheless holds up well on its own, and Tim Curry delivers one of his most creepy performances to date.
November 17, 2016
Really incredible visuals that are almost able to carry the rest of the film. Almost. Script is pretty terrible. But it's so beautiful. Also young Tom Cruise's thighs?? Not something I expected to be in to. I haven't seen a film that looks like this one before or since. It looks good. Otherwise it's not great.
½ August 29, 2016
The art direction is gorgeous, and Scott shoots the sets and characters with a tremendous eye. It's enough for me, but it won't be enough for most people.