Legend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legend Reviews

½ August 21, 2016
While the storyline is exactly what you would expect from a family-friendly fantasy movie to the point of being painfully predictable, it is visually stunning and the actors are excellent.
½ August 19, 2016
Remarkable fantasy. The effects and set really hold up well. And the mythology is deep and interesting. Darkness is so iconic, yet for some reason I've never been able to get through this whole movie without nodding off. I guess it's the lack of clear direction in the story...
July 31, 2016
Tim Curry as the darkness saves the film.
July 17, 2016
Culturally significant '80's movie. Tim Curry's role as the devil is amazing.
½ July 15, 2016
The worst film I've ever seen and it's Tom Cruise's worst role.
June 18, 2016
Been itself sort of a mix between The Legend of Zelda and a Jim Henson flick, this odd Ridley Scott film might be corny at times (due to its really young cast) and sort of a mess in the story department, but I rather say it's worth the watch just for its production value, and Tim Curry as the main villain.
½ June 18, 2016
Sumptuous lollygagging.
April 13, 2016
Attention, Kitsch en puissance... Mais bon, c'est les années 80...
½ April 11, 2016
One of the most visually stunning duds I have ever seen. Ridley Scott's fantasy adventure film starring a Young Tom Cruise is just boring...and with such great production design it really is a shame. The make-up effect is terrific...Tim Curry is unrecognizable. Now I watched the Director's Cut, I dunno what is different with different versions for better or worse. Even in Scott's preferred version, the movie is slow and plodding....just horrible pacing. Cruise is awful, like he has no idea what his character should be and doesn't totally care. Visually the movie looks great, but sometimes that just can't save a turd of a story, especially when your lead actor stinks. I struggled to stay awake as I watched this...which is a shame, because I really think it was one of the best looking fantasy films of the 1980s.
½ February 7, 2016
Tangerine Dream and gorgeous visuals elevate a simplistic "Good vs Evil" tale. [theatrical cut]
February 5, 2016
(This pertains to the Director's Cut) A very good fantasy film. Not as memorable as Conan, but a very unique film of its kind, with well done visuals, a simple but classic type of story, a heartwarming turn from Mia Sara as the princess Lily, and a great villain in Tim Curry's Lord of Darkness.
½ January 17, 2016
This looks beautiful and has a great atmosphere, but the pacing and plotting is terrible; there's no strong sense of a narrative driving the story, and not much sense of drama. Not one of Cruise's best performances either, although in fairness the script was pretty bad too.
½ January 15, 2016
Ridley Scott's worst movie.
January 7, 2016
97%
The abstract "Legend" is not for everyone, but its visuals, special effects, creature designs, and a haunting performance by Tim Curry as Darkness are all classic memories for its cult following.

V: 49%
November 2, 2015
This movie is basically saying that people cannot truly be good unless there is also evil inside of them - because without evil people are just innocent - and innocence is bliss but that is not the same thing as good. It is only when people have both good and evil inside of them - should they come to the cross roads - in that the moment they can choose between good or evil. If they choose good - than legends are made.
October 22, 2015
Grew up with this shit
½ October 20, 2015
There were some visuals that were great, but the editing drove me nuts. Didn't really like it overall. I think other films have learned from it and did it better.
October 19, 2015
Ridley Scott doesn't often make a poor movie but sadly, Legend really fails to impress. Admittedly, it was one of the better of the crop of fantasy/fairy tale movies that popped up in the 1980s but it hasn't aged well. Whilst the visuals still hold up well and for the time, were very impressive, the story is weak and confused. There's just too little going on and little sense of peril or threat. A shame as Tim Curry tries his best to bring some menace to the part of "Darkness" and really looks incredible in what was for the time, a groundbreaking make-up and prosthetic costume. Tom Cruise makes an early appearance but it has to be said, shows none of the talent that he went on to develop, in fact, on the strength of his performance here, it is a wonder that he ever worked again. The dialogue is difficult to follow as much is drowned out by background noise and many of the characters are poorly developed making Legend somewhat disengaging. There's just not enough substance and too many flaws to make it work. Ridley Scott has made much better movies and Legend really gives little evidence of his skills.
Robert B.
October 3, 2015
Legend seems to be one of those movies where if you enjoyed it as a kid, you can enjoy it again years later. Even if it is not as good as you remembered, it can still evoke nostalgia and be enjoyable for that reason. For myself, I never saw Legend when growing up but with the name Ridley Scott attached I was hoping for great effects and an adventurous ride. Unfortunately, Legend really is a movie for kids. I got about halfway in and, while I didn't hate it, I realized there was no need to watch the rest. If I had seen it as a kid, I probably would have enjoyed it. It does have imagination and adventure but is also rather silly/campy.
September 25, 2015
Although some of the effects are a little outdated, Legend is VERY underrated, with Tim Curry giving one "hell" of a performance.