Legend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legend Reviews

June 4, 2017
Malísima. No tenía muy buen recuerdo de ella, y al verla recientemente recordé por qué
May 18, 2017
The visuals are awesome in this. I think this may be the best movie I have ever seen that makes absolutely no sense...
½ April 5, 2017
Strong visuals, but weak world building.
February 26, 2017
This was my favorite movie when I was 13, full of magic and darkness and light and truly unique. Beautifully made, visually stunning and a real treat for the senses. I was thrilled to share this movie with my 13 and 10 year old and share a gorgeous film that touched me deeply when I was young.
½ January 20, 2017
Enjoyable but flawed fantasy film in both it's theatrical & director's cuts. The cast is uneven, with Tom Cruise, in a rare time, uncharismatic as Jack, though he does show his physical prowess as an action star. Mia Sara, though, is angelic & tempting as Lili in a nice debut. The standout, though, is Tim Curry's brilliant performance as Darkness, who combined with Rob Bottin's brilliant make-up, creates the definitive version of the Devil. Powerful, evil yet sensual with a bit of pathos (you actually feel he has affection for Lili), he is the reason most have fond memories of this film. Behind the camera, Ridley Scott, as usual, crafts a visually stunning film but both the theatrical & director's cuts have their strengths & weaknesses. The theatrical version has a better ending and Tangerine Dream's score is more epic & unique than Jerry Goldsmith's original work (it's a fine score sounds like most other fantasy films). However, the director's cut's longer length gives better character development, along with keeping Darkness completely hidden until his full reveal, making it more impactful. It makes one wish Scott would do a 'final cut' like he did with "Blade Runner", combining the best of both versions. Nevertheless, they are both still enjoyable and while flawed, make for fine fantasy viewing.
December 31, 2016
Lame opening, gets better. Decent costumes, some boring parts
December 25, 2016
Tim Curry is a fun Devil. The film is fun fluff, though it does drag at some points. On Blu-Ray.
½ November 20, 2016
Legend is a corny 80s classic that nevertheless holds up well on its own, and Tim Curry delivers one of his most creepy performances to date.
November 17, 2016
Really incredible visuals that are almost able to carry the rest of the film. Almost. Script is pretty terrible. But it's so beautiful. Also young Tom Cruise's thighs?? Not something I expected to be in to. I haven't seen a film that looks like this one before or since. It looks good. Otherwise it's not great.
½ August 29, 2016
The art direction is gorgeous, and Scott shoots the sets and characters with a tremendous eye. It's enough for me, but it won't be enough for most people.
August 29, 2016
Tim Curry does it again, this time literally playing the Devil in a brilliant choice of casting. "Beneath the skin, we are al... ready... one!"
½ August 21, 2016
While the storyline is exactly what you would expect from a family-friendly fantasy movie to the point of being painfully predictable, it is visually stunning and the actors are excellent.
½ August 19, 2016
Remarkable fantasy. The effects and set really hold up well. And the mythology is deep and interesting. Darkness is so iconic, yet for some reason I've never been able to get through this whole movie without nodding off. I guess it's the lack of clear direction in the story...
July 31, 2016
Tim Curry as the darkness saves the film.
July 17, 2016
Culturally significant '80's movie. Tim Curry's role as the devil is amazing.
½ July 15, 2016
The worst film I've ever seen and it's Tom Cruise's worst role.
June 18, 2016
Been itself sort of a mix between The Legend of Zelda and a Jim Henson flick, this odd Ridley Scott film might be corny at times (due to its really young cast) and sort of a mess in the story department, but I rather say it's worth the watch just for its production value, and Tim Curry as the main villain.
½ June 18, 2016
Sumptuous lollygagging.
April 13, 2016
Attention, Kitsch en puissance... Mais bon, c'est les années 80...
½ April 11, 2016
One of the most visually stunning duds I have ever seen. Ridley Scott's fantasy adventure film starring a Young Tom Cruise is just boring...and with such great production design it really is a shame. The make-up effect is terrific...Tim Curry is unrecognizable. Now I watched the Director's Cut, I dunno what is different with different versions for better or worse. Even in Scott's preferred version, the movie is slow and plodding....just horrible pacing. Cruise is awful, like he has no idea what his character should be and doesn't totally care. Visually the movie looks great, but sometimes that just can't save a turd of a story, especially when your lead actor stinks. I struggled to stay awake as I watched this...which is a shame, because I really think it was one of the best looking fantasy films of the 1980s.