The Little Drummer Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Little Drummer Boy Reviews

½ December 25, 2015
Preachy. Lackluster score and voice work, although with good musical performances. Find something else to make your yuletide bright.
December 16, 2015
Another classic Christmas Claymation flick!
November 29, 2015
The Little Drummer Boy is very emotional. Love the song!
½ August 3, 2015
Emotionally uplifting! When you consider that many holiday movies forget to include the real meaning of Christmas this is almost essential viewing every December. The animation is fitting and the title song is lovely. It's a beautiful television feature in all respects. (First viewing - 12/14/2008)
December 21, 2014
i just watched this and i was surprised, it is very touching (especially the ending) and i'd say is worth the watch even if one is atheist.
December 24, 2013
It was a very enjoyable, very beautiful and very special stop-motion animated Christmas special classic. It had very great animation, really fun songs, really great characters, really great narration, very great voice cast, great adventure, really great visuals, and a great story. It's one of the best Rankin/Bass animated specials of the 60s. I will recommend this movie to animation lovers of all ages.
½ December 24, 2013
It's probably the epitome of short and sweet.
December 22, 2013
Poniéndome en sintonía con el espíritu navideño veo la mejor película de navidad de todos los tiempos!
December 22, 2013
Yawn... tried to watch this.. started to fall asleep.. makes me appreciate Rudolph all the more!
November 27, 2013
An Excellent Rankin/Bass Special That Won't Be Remembered As Much As Their Other Specials, This Film Poses A Strong Biblical Message, About An Orphan Who Plays His Drum For The King In Bethlehem At His Birth, Along The Way The Boy Finds Forgiveness In His Heart After A Heartbreaking Event Happened To Him A Few Short Years Prior To The Event Of The Film.
½ December 11, 2012
The Little Drummer Boy has been one of my favorite of the animated Christmas movies since I was a little kid. I love the story and music, but just wish that the movie is a little longer and more fleshed out in some parts. That would be my only complaint (and it isn't much) in an otherwise enjoyable and near-perfect animated movie.
September 28, 2011
Though it won't be recognized as much as the others, it is my favorite of all Rankin Bass specials. Not only does it have a strong biblical message that does not give any room for pop culture, there is a lot of honest emotion in it that you don't get in other Christmas films.
December 28, 2010
Rankin/Bass stop motion films rules!
December 20, 2010
Too bad they never show this anymore.
December 19, 2010
Best of the clamation Christmas shows.
½ December 14, 2010
Even if you're not into all that Jesus malarkey, you have to at least respect the story for giving us such a wonderful time of year. The Little Drummer Boy focuses on a boy filled with hate, and a man filled with greed. Their stories intertwine until they eventually cross paths with the song of God. Loved the songs and the animation has that old-fashioned quality that just doesn't date. The voice-work varied, sometimes being annoyingly slimy. It's a sweet tale that captures the meaning of Christmas, without ramming the religious aspects down the viewers throat. This should be an enjoyable watch for all.
November 21, 2010
Though the animation isn't that good, it still is a great short and very sweet. The second best Ranklin-Bass production.
December 24, 2009
Ever since I was little I've had this weird obsession with the Nativity. It all stems from a really awesome porcelain Nativity scene that my mother had that she would display each Christmas season. I can still remember sitting there for long periods of time just staring at this thing. At the moment I own ten Nativity scenes, though none of them compare to the one from my youth. And when it comes to films, I've seen a handful of them that dealt with the Nativity but none that stack up to Arthur Rankin Jr. and Jules Bass' The Little Drummer Boy.

The Little Drummer Boy isn't particularly the best looking of all the Rankin and Bass stop motion shorts. The character designs aren't as well detailed as most of their films, and the film's animation is a bit rough. Many times the characters don't seem to move smoothly, and the majority of the background characters move in limited and very stiff fashions that can get distracting at times.

But I enjoy this film a lot, mainly because I like the way it handles the character of Aaron (voice of Teddy Eccles), an orphaned drummer boy who holds a grudge against mankind after a couple of bandits killed his parents and destroyed his home. His path is crossed with that of the three Wise-Men on their way to Bethlehem, where he learns a lesson about love and the true good that humanity can bring.

The movie ends with the Vienna Boys' Choir version of "The Little Drummer Boy," which for some reason gives me chills each time I hear it. There isn't much to this film, but it manages to get me a little misty eyed towards the end each time I watch it. Again, not one of the best of the Rankin and Bass films, but certainly one I have to view each Christmas season.
December 7, 2009
This stop-motion animation Christmas tale is bereft of the charm that Rankin and Bass often had flowing from off the screen. This is partly due to the more serious nature of the story and lack of light-heartedness that made movies like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" so enjoyable for all ages.