Little Women Reviews

• Jul 03, 2019

It plays like dated melodrama compared to the superior 1994 version, but Cukor’s direction and Hepburn’s performance are excellent.

• Jan 06, 2019

Little Women doesn't have much of a plot when analyzed as a whole, but individually speaking many of its scenes are so charming and wonderful. The entire movie is very sweet, cozy and at times even moving with well developed characters and superb cinematography that successfully transports you to its time period. As for Katharine Hepburn herself, she sold the emotional scenes and was quite good in the role, but I found her approach at a speech pattern over-the-top and a bit caricaturist.

• May 02, 2018

Christopher Columbus, this is movie fun! Has there ever been a more magnetic performer than Katharine Hepburn? It's much better in its comedy than its drama, but still...pure, childlike charm.

• Sep 02, 2017

Katharine Hepburn apparently once said she dared anyone to do a better Jo March than her; well I can say that I haven't seen it as of yet. Hepburn is radiant as the tomboyish Jo and she is supported by a petulant Joan Bennett as Amy, a sympathetic Jean Parker as Beth, and a headstrong Frances Dee as Meg. Together they make up the four March sisters who await their father's return from the Civil War. We see them go through a string of ups and downs as relationships blossom and crumble and the profound effects that loss and change have on each of them. Buoyed by wonderful character support from Paul Lukas, Henry Stephenson, Douglass Montgomery, Edna May Oliver, and Spring Byington this is a prime example of a timeless family classic.

• Mar 07, 2015

so heartwarming with a tomboyish yet sweet performance from Hepburn

so heartwarming with a tomboyish yet sweet performance from Hepburn

• Nov 20, 2014

For once i like the remake a lot better. This was boring and if it not for Hepburn's terrific performance it would've been terrible. I feel like a lot was left out of this one and it only scratched the surface, ironic since the professor was complaining of the same thing in the movie about writing. It was a bit saccharine and altho at first i found the characters kind n thoughtful demeanors endearing and a forgotten manner, it started feeling fake pretty fast. Maybe im too cynical, but it often felt contrived and lacking depth.

• Nov 12, 2014

I think well done... Cukor and cast did a good job. ie. Hepburn.

I think well done... Cukor and cast did a good job. ie. Hepburn.

• May 25, 2014

still the best version of this often told tale

still the best version of this often told tale

• Dec 25, 2013

Wonderful version of Alcott classic with the unconquerable Kate Hepburn, perhaps the best actress to ever tread stage and screen.

John B Super Reviewer
    Nov 27, 2013

A story that has been done to death had its origins back in the thirties with Kate Hepburn just starting out in her acting career. It is easy to see in this film where her career would take her and it is delightful despite its age.