Lock Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lock Up Reviews

April 4, 2017
Dans la grande tradition des films avec Sylvester Stallone hors Rocky/Rambo, Lock Up est une ode à la camaraderie masculine contre l'autorité (in)compétente et repressive. Cependant, Lock Up le fait sans aucune finesse et se contente d'être un bête film de prison, avec tout ce que ça comporte comme passages obligés, sans aucun intérêt hormis quelques séquences avec un très solide supporting cast (Donald Sutherland, Tom Sizemore & Frank McRae sont très bons). Lock Up se relève un peu dans son dernier acte, très réussi, mais force est de constater qu'il y avait bien mieux à faire avec ce point de départ. Stallone le prouva en 2013 avec Evasion.
March 11, 2017
3/11/17
Lock Up (1989)
D: John Flynn
W: Richard Smith, Jeb Stuart, Henry Rosenbaum
C: Donald E. Thorin
S: Sylvester Stallone, Donald Sutherland, John Amos, Darlanne Fluegel, Frank McRae, Sonny Landham, Tom Sizemore, Larry Romano, William Allen Young , Jordan Lund, Tony Lip, Danny Trejo
R: Highly under-rated prison drama with Stallone in top form as Frank Leone, a model prisoner nearing the end of his sentence. Warden Drumgoole (Sutherland) has Frank transferred to to maximum security Gateway Prison, where he plans on putting Frank through hell for a past jail break under his watch. While at Gateway, Frank befriends Dallas, Eclipse and First Base, a 20 year old inmate who was sentenced to life in prison. Drumgoole enlists Chink Weber (Landham) as his yard boss. Chink goads Frank and tries to break his spirit, but Frank refuses to play Drumgoole's game, vowing to serve his time and reunite with his girlfriend. While incarcerated, Frank is routinely abused by the prison guards, who are headed by Captain Meissner. Frank spends time in the garage, where he and others help Eclipse restore a vintage sports car. After Third Base takes the car for a joyride through the yard, Drumgoole has the car destroyed and gives Frank 6 weeks of solitary confinement. Afterwards, Frank
attempts to escape, convinced that his girlfriends life is in jeopardy.

This is an extremely well-made prison-drama. The script is well-constructed and John Flynn's direction is right on the money. Stallone, in one of his best roles, delivers the goods and gets excellent support right across the board. Sutherland is memorable as the sadistic warden, McRae as the veteran inmate, Sizemore as the loud mouth and Amos stands out as Captain Meissner, who looks at Drumgoole's methods in disgust. The other asset here is Bill Conti's effective score, which balances the drama with the plight of the protagonist. We also get a trademark Stallone montage to The Ides of March classic, "Vehicle". For all the poor reviews out there, I have to stick with my gut reaction here. This is a top-knotch genre pic with heart and conviction.

4/5
½ November 11, 2016
This was hard to sit through.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Really good and gripping film, Very underrated, One of Stallones best films acting wise plus it had some good intense scenes too.
June 7, 2016
An average Stallone movie, but nostalgia does its thing.
February 13, 2016
Stallone turns in a powerhouse performance in this largely overlooked gem. The tension builds to an insane level as Frank (Stallone) exacts his revenge on the warden (Sutherland) that has made his incarceration a living hell.
January 20, 2016
I don't understand this very low rating...And I'm not a film expert, but I found this a enjoyable movie, something I can't say about some other Stallone films. I'm not a big fan of Stallone, but this movie made me like him a bit more.
December 14, 2015
ylvester Stallone stars as model prisoner who is given the grand tour of hell from Donald Sutherland. Seems Sutherland is ticked off at Sly Stallone for escaping from his prison and ruining his career, after unsuccessfully goading him into bad behavior that would make him stay longer in prison, a war is waged between prisoner and the warden. Lock-Up actually manages to be a fairly engaging effort from Sly Stallone. Sure the movie has its excessive melodrama but typically the movie works for what it sets out to be and in the end the prison mood is adequately drawn and the supporting characters are well drawn by the excellent supporting cast. (Tom Sizemore, Frank McRae,Sonny Landham and the effortlessly likable John Amos) In other words this is a decent movie and well worth watching for fans of Sylvester Stallone. It certainly is more watchable than Tango and Cash.
April 18, 2015
Another star and the vehicle he's using going right off the cliff.
½ March 24, 2015
Don't know why this movie gets poor reviews, it's a good film. Stallone does a great job, as do the rest of the actors, and the script is good too. The story is ok, but just the fact that it is a typical prison movie, where the warren is the bad guy that wants someone hurt and to spent more time, is the films biggest problem. It seems like there is no real prison movies that don't follow that same path, besides the great Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile of course, which tell the stories far better (with the exception of the 'gift'). Instead of being all about escape it's about not loosing it though as well, but we can't help but hope that they do loose it. I think this movies biggest problem is that the prison guards and warren are such assholes and SO hated that it becomes to much. The ending is satisfying, a huge relief, and fun to watch thank god, hopefully the warren spends hard prison time. Overall good movie to watch, not as good as some other prison flics, but a classic and with a good cast. Deserves better reviews.
January 8, 2015
A great story, a fight back from Stallone, and super underrated film, because of low-budget. Tom Sizemore, Frank McCrae, John Amos, Donald Sutherland are all powerful in this film. Even Sonny Landham continues his bad guy persona in this
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Great prison movie and much action. Many famous actors and story are good makes this fun to watch. One of my fav stallone movies.
½ January 1, 2015
Corrupt prison movie. Good action in the end. If you like Stallone and Donald Sutherland, they'll do justice to the movie.
½ November 15, 2014
Lock up is an entertaining movie full of action and drama from the 80s.
October 12, 2014
It isn't the best movie out there, but I did like it.
August 30, 2014
Nostalgic win, no more. Somewhat reasonable action/revenge.
August 17, 2014
One of Stallones best films ever.
½ July 26, 2014
The Shawshank Redemption, as interpreted by Sylvester Stallone.
June 4, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ April 22, 2014
Decent film, with a good plot, Sylvester Stallone plays hard man prisoner and Donald Sutherland plays the bad older guy, standard casting