The Longest Yard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Longest Yard Reviews

August 9, 2013
Can barely remember this at all. Only liked the opening 15 minutes.
August 7, 2013
The best Longest Yard.
August 3, 2013
Worth watching. A good story.
hunterjt13
June 13, 2013
An inmate forms a football team to compete against the prison guards' team.
Almost all sports film invariably devolve into cliches. There's something elemental about sports that creates an inherent conflict that can carry a film. The good sports films are good because of their variations -- 61*'s portrayal of Maris's innate strength of character, Sugar's focus on the unheard of players, and A League of Their Own's hot women (jk). The fact that this film is set in a prison is supposed to be its interesting variation, but I don't find the prison setting to be particularly compelling or to be used in a profound way. Its attempt at a variation is also Burt Reynolds's character, Paul Crewe. Crewe is a wise-cracking, devil-may-care kind of guy, and Reynolds made a career playing parts like this. He does it well, handsome, charming, and witty.
Overall, The Longest Yard's attempts at breaking sports films' cliches aren't bad, but the film doesn't amount to anything extraordinary.
June 3, 2013
FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Just saw the original "Longest Yard" -- or, as it's apparently called in the UK, "The Mean Machine". Yeah, imagine my confusion, especially knowing about the Adam Sandler remake!
This is the second American football movie I watched today, after revisiting "The Blind Side"! :D And I... didn't like it. I'm sorry: this seems to be a very popular movie, but it didn't do a thing for me at all.
I am *not* a sports fan myself, but that doesn't necessarily mean I won't like a sports *movie*. It all depends on whether or not I like the characters enough to cheer for them. But here, I just didn't care. They're all prisoners -- hell, we even hear about some of the grisly crimes they committed -- so why *should* I care?
Even in the climax, when (spoilers) Crewe keeps going just to defy the warden, I *still* didn't care. And, since I don't understand the rules to American football, the game itself made no sense to me.
On the whole, I just found the movie dull and far too long.

My rating: 40%
May 27, 2013
Movies like this are timeless. Excellent cast, characters, and storyline. One to watch even if you are not into football.
May 11, 2013
Subpar on all levels. Its slow, the acting stinks, and its far from funny. Granted the football scenes are decent, but other than that the movie blows. Sandler did better with the remake.
½ April 5, 2013
Way better than the remake, Burt Reynolds beats a bitch down, gets wasted assults police officers and thrashes his car.
½ March 25, 2013
good. origanal verstion of the best movie ever
March 1, 2013
As far as sport based film commonly are this I would have to say is a good one with some good ideas added.
February 25, 2013
Amusing but a bit dated, the original Longest Yard is assisted by the complexity of Reynolds and their window for revenge on the guards that keep them locked up.
January 27, 2013
not as good as the remakebut still good
January 12, 2013
Good football movie if you're into football in a movie.
January 11, 2013
havent seen this one...
December 20, 2012
Okay, I like THIS one. I accidentally rated the remake, which I've never seen, high -- which would be unlikely as Adam Sandler is in it.
December 6, 2012
really funny u need to see it
December 5, 2012
i havent watched this movie but i wanna watch it
December 5, 2012
Great movie ,watch every chance I get.
½ October 27, 2012
Not as good and it tried to copy the original too close
October 14, 2012
I will not be watching this.