The Longest Yard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Longest Yard Reviews

February 28, 2014
fantastic satire, though a bit slow to get to the point.
½ February 15, 2014
Nobody did Good 'Ole Boy like Burt Reynolds.
February 6, 2014
I wasn't a fan of Adam Sandler's remake of The Longest Yard, but the plot was good so to see the original version with Burt Reynolds in the lead was nothing I had to force myself to do.

The Longest Yard takes a significantly more counter-culture angle on its story than the remake and is therefore significantly more dramatic. So instead of being a ridiculously crude comedy film, it's a more real counterculture sports drama with a twist of comedy which comes out at unexpected times and lightens the mood. And when it does it proves to be quite funny, with some surprising crude jokes coming at serious times. The Longest Yard works as a serious drama and a decent comedy too by supplying surprises at many moments. Even if the humour is a bit scattershot for the film to win the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and not exactly sufficient to ensure any consistency of laughs, it's still an entertaining feature as a comedy, a drama and as a great sports film.
The atmosphere in The Longest Yard is pretty gritty. It's hard hitting in its counterculture elements which keeps the dramatic mood active. And really, the whole story feels rather allegorical. Coming from the timeframe of 1974, the same decade that films about rebelling against corrupt authority were in their heyday and the same year that the nihilistic neo-noir masterpiece Chinatown hit cinemas, The Longest Yard perfectly embodies the public's perception of authority at the time and puts it into the context of a prison where corrupt authority is essentially a given. And yet at the same time it adds a nice comedic touch to separate it from many other prison or sports drama films and make it that little more entertaining. Plus, it gives The Longest Yard the easy ability to deviate between moments of true grit and moments of light comedy which makes it a successful dramedy. The issue with this however is that the inconsistent tone may throw viewers off, and it's all a bit scattered for a film that runs for 121 minutes at a generally slow pace, and so the experience may differ today for people in 1974. If you understand its cultural context it is a better film, but even then it is a bit of a slow venture, even if it's a well crafted and strongly written one.
Luckily, the actors supply a sufficient entertaining charm to the film both comedically and dramatically.
Burt Reynolds is a great lead. He has the powerful charisma which made him a superstar in the 1970's put into his role and his passionate line delivery is both strong and charming. He manages to keep the comedy and the drama of the story on a direct course to the end, and he ensures that the entertainment value of the film has no shortcomings because of his performance in the lead role. It's great to look back on him and see him playing NFL so young, because his heyday was truly a great time for cinema. It's sad that this is no longer the case, but there is nothing sad about his performance in The Longest Yard.
James Hampton gives a determined and strong supporting role which gives the story a certain backing of support, as well as to the protagonist Paul Crewe.
Richard Kiel is also hilarious because of how he plays himself off as being a tall yet idiotic figure, and his character is too likable and perfectly executed by the man's natural comedic talent. He is one of the funniest reasons to see The Longest Yard.
Robert Tessier does a decent job himself too.

So while The Longest Yard is long, sporadically funny and dated, it's an entertaining sports film with great political subtext which is shot and directed well, as well as benefiting from the natural charm of lead Burt Reynolds.
February 5, 2014
one of my favorite movie
½ December 31, 2013
Great movie. Very funny, with a great performance from Reynolds and the supporting cast.
November 18, 2013
I liked the remake, i kind of want to see the origional.
August 9, 2013
Can barely remember this at all. Only liked the opening 15 minutes.
August 7, 2013
The best Longest Yard.
August 3, 2013
Worth watching. A good story.
hunterjt13
June 13, 2013
An inmate forms a football team to compete against the prison guards' team.
Almost all sports film invariably devolve into cliches. There's something elemental about sports that creates an inherent conflict that can carry a film. The good sports films are good because of their variations -- 61*'s portrayal of Maris's innate strength of character, Sugar's focus on the unheard of players, and A League of Their Own's hot women (jk). The fact that this film is set in a prison is supposed to be its interesting variation, but I don't find the prison setting to be particularly compelling or to be used in a profound way. Its attempt at a variation is also Burt Reynolds's character, Paul Crewe. Crewe is a wise-cracking, devil-may-care kind of guy, and Reynolds made a career playing parts like this. He does it well, handsome, charming, and witty.
Overall, The Longest Yard's attempts at breaking sports films' cliches aren't bad, but the film doesn't amount to anything extraordinary.
June 3, 2013
FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Just saw the original "Longest Yard" -- or, as it's apparently called in the UK, "The Mean Machine". Yeah, imagine my confusion, especially knowing about the Adam Sandler remake!
This is the second American football movie I watched today, after revisiting "The Blind Side"! :D And I... didn't like it. I'm sorry: this seems to be a very popular movie, but it didn't do a thing for me at all.
I am *not* a sports fan myself, but that doesn't necessarily mean I won't like a sports *movie*. It all depends on whether or not I like the characters enough to cheer for them. But here, I just didn't care. They're all prisoners -- hell, we even hear about some of the grisly crimes they committed -- so why *should* I care?
Even in the climax, when (spoilers) Crewe keeps going just to defy the warden, I *still* didn't care. And, since I don't understand the rules to American football, the game itself made no sense to me.
On the whole, I just found the movie dull and far too long.

My rating: 40%
May 27, 2013
Movies like this are timeless. Excellent cast, characters, and storyline. One to watch even if you are not into football.
May 11, 2013
Subpar on all levels. Its slow, the acting stinks, and its far from funny. Granted the football scenes are decent, but other than that the movie blows. Sandler did better with the remake.
½ April 5, 2013
Way better than the remake, Burt Reynolds beats a bitch down, gets wasted assults police officers and thrashes his car.
½ March 25, 2013
good. origanal verstion of the best movie ever
March 1, 2013
As far as sport based film commonly are this I would have to say is a good one with some good ideas added.
February 25, 2013
Amusing but a bit dated, the original Longest Yard is assisted by the complexity of Reynolds and their window for revenge on the guards that keep them locked up.
January 27, 2013
not as good as the remakebut still good
January 12, 2013
Good football movie if you're into football in a movie.
January 11, 2013