The Love Bug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Love Bug Reviews

½ July 23, 2016
This Disney Classic is the first film I ever became obsessed with, and a really great movie over all.
January 30, 2016
Many elements of this may have dated considerably but the inherent charm of the titular Bug and the sheer logic-proof nature of the tussle with the evil Thorndike leave this still able to charm children of all ages.
November 8, 2015
With great stunts, a perfect cast and fabulous location and arial photography in the High Sierras, The Love Bug is one of the best post Mary Poppins Family films the Disney studio ever put out. It's central character is Herbie, a volkswagen beetle with special powers that gives back confidence to a luckless race car driver named Jim Douglas played by Disney regular Dean Jones.. Michelle Lee ok as Jim's love interest, but two Disney veterans David Tomlinson and Joe Flynn really shine as the villainous Peter Thorndike and his right hand man Havershaw.
The real show stealer here though is Buddy Hackett as mechanic Tenessee Steinmetz, who gives a hilarious monologue about how he got to where he is in the film.
Disney spared no expense on this film..the special effects are quite good for 1968 and the process shots don't look cheap. There are a few studio shots posing as the outdoors, but there is more than enough location footage to make up for that. The only quibble I have with the production is that there is a stock sound effect of race cars that is looped over and over again on the soundtrack and that becomes tedious.
Veteran announcers Chick Hearn and Gary Owens appear as TV reporters covering the final race,which adds to the credibility and fun. There are a few sections that some may find offensive in these PC times, but they are few and lighthearted.
I would Highly recommend this film,especially after a hard day.
November 3, 2015
What can I say more. This is a fun, yet silly, movie. The actors give silly but very fun performances, and the story is silly but is lots of fun. The effects are still impressive to look at and do offer some fun creative moments throughout the film. It's a silly movie, but you can't help but smile through it all.
September 26, 2015
Ostensibly a children's movie, the characters are all adults (except maybe for Herbie, who has the personality of a childish yet wise E.T.) This is what I remember children's entertainment being like before the insanely babyish cartoons and infantilism that were to follow.

Jim Douglas is a tragically aging failed racecar driver, who is told and wonders himself if he's in the wrong business. Suddenly he gets his magic bottle in the form of a VW bug who helps him to start winning races. Even though Herbie proves that he is doing the driving even before the track, Douglas clings to the notion that only he is the reason for the success.

The other characters gradually figure it out because they do not have any illusions (the spiritual Tennessee or the self-interested Thorndyke). At the beginning his film has the ethos of Miracle on 34th Street, where the improbable but believable happens, although by the end it goes off into wildly impossible -- yet great fun.

Side notes include the intrusion of late 60s hippie culture into the relatively square world of motorcar racing. Also there seems to be a gentle interjection of social consciousness. Michele Lee looks all the world for a light skinned black woman wearing Jane Fonda-ish pantsuits. Buddy Hackett has been to an ashram. The Chinese Americans could have easily spun into ethnic stereotypes but are surprisingly portrayed as smart, wealthy, and cunning.
April 13, 2015
Timeless, even though it looks a little dated!
½ January 26, 2015
A must for all car lovers. Kids will still enjoy this even though the special effects are very outdated.
½ December 12, 2014
Doesn't have the same pace through most of it as more contemporary movies. But who'd a thunk it? My 7 year old daughter likes it. I gave it three stars. She insisted on one and a half more.
½ September 29, 2014
A fun move, but it might seem slow for today's audiences.
August 8, 2014
(First and only full viewing - 9/9/2009)
June 29, 2014
I love this movie! It is a classic. I would recommend this to anyone; both adults and children will love it!
½ June 12, 2014
This movie is genius!
½ May 12, 2014
Herbie is the reason why I love VW cars! And this film surely was enjoyable. Even if it can get a little dark and even depressing, it's still fun to watch.
May 9, 2014
I own this on DVD in a five movie pack along with:
* Herbie Rides Again (1974)
* Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo (1977)
* Herbie Goes Bananas (1980)
* Herbie Fully Loaded (2005)
½ April 15, 2014
The Love Bug is a certain kind of quirky, entertaining goodness that is rarely found in movies today. Yes, the movie may have its flaws, but the message and simple plot are the things to think about.
½ June 10, 2013
The love bug is just so darn lovable.
May 12, 2013
I am rating this film based on my memory of it through the eyes of a child who enjoyed it and who loved little Volkswagen Beetles, possibly in part because of this film.This film is an childrens timeless masterpeace.
May 10, 2013
130509: Very enjoyable trip down memory lane. Quite surprised at how much I still like this film. Many comical moments made even better by dated special effects.
May 2, 2013
Amazing Herbie fun, it was great then, its great now, plus it changed the way people look at Beatles. Love it.