Love on the Run (L'Amour en fuite) Reviews

• May 15, 2020

The conclusion of Antoine Doinel's saga provides closure for those who accompanied the protagonist life, but in the end it cannot stand on its own, recurring to constant flashbacks that derive from the main narrative.

• Feb 07, 2020

8 8 9 9 9 9 10 10 10 10 = 92 2020/2/8 You can never resist the magic of Truffaut in Love On the Run. Perfect script for a final oeuvre for The Adventures of Antoine Doinel. Dorothée is fascinating, and all the characters are fabulous in the final film of the series.

• Sep 23, 2018

It has its moments, but overall I was don't need to see it again.

It has its moments, but overall I was don't need to see it again.

• Nov 08, 2016

The final film in the Antoine Doinel Saga has it's interesting charm. Focusing on love you get to see Antoine's quest for love through interacting with new and old flames and searching himself through a series of flashbacks. A great ending to a fun series.

• Nov 07, 2016

The series begins to fade well and truly by now.

The series begins to fade well and truly by now.

• Jun 13, 2015

This ending episode of Antoine Doinel's life drama is really boring.

This ending episode of Antoine Doinel's life drama is really boring.

• Nov 21, 2014

Of course, it is reassuring to be back in the familiar world of Antoine Doinel - and director Francois Truffaut (and star Jean-Pierre Leaud) gains tremendously from the fond feelings and good will that have been built up in the audience across the previous 3 1/2 charming films in the series (the 400 Blows, Antoine & Collette, Stolen Kisses, and Bed and Board). However, this final film in the series can only be considered a trifle by the earlier standards set. Doinel is still the same, not quite able to commit to his relationships and with an uncertain future - but hardly any "new material" is introduced to his story, with Truffaut content to use clips of the previous films to remind viewers of just how consistent Doinel has been (in his inconsistency). So, if you've seen all the films, there is plenty of déjà vu - but if you haven't seen all the films, this is no place to start.

• Oct 11, 2014

The lesser of five Antoine Doinel films. There are great moments, but feature films shouldn't feel like sitcom clip shows. If you have watched the previous four films, this is worth watching once. However, it is better for those seeking a Cliff's Notes abridgment of â??The Adventures of Antoine Doinelâ??.

• Aug 06, 2014

Una gran conclusión y homenaje a Antoine Doinel!

Una gran conclusión y homenaje a Antoine Doinel!

• Edgar C Super Reviewer
    Aug 05, 2014

We do have a serious issue when approximately 35% of the film consists in featuring full scenes of four past films made by the same director, which means that this movie has less than an hour of story to offer. We have an even more serious issue when that <1 hour of running time has nothing of significant value to offer rather than rely on its overwhelming nostalgia. So, do I recommend it? Actually, yes, and a lot. Truffaut fans and the followers of the Antoine Doinel series should definitely catch this one to give all the events a psychological closure. The entire original cast is here, even those characters you had never imagined to see again. In my past reviews I did mention that there was a theory circulating suggesting that as long as the Doinel films kept progressing, the central character was getting closer to a real-life version of Doinel and farther from Truffaut himself. That is an interesting aspect because, indeed, Truffaut had a more aggressive tone in his depiction of the tough challenges of the childhood stage of a person, and a more colorful and anarchic tone each time more, which kept progressing into straightforward (although very creative) comedy. This is not the case. This is the odd man out. Why? Because the film's existence depends entirely on 5 past projects, whereas each previous Antoine Doinel film used its predecessors as easter eggs and complements of the characters. However, each film could have had an independent existence from each other given how good they were, in case they hadn't been planned as a series. So this is a very prolonged fan-made YouTube video directed by Truffaut himself and released by Criterion which becomes a delight to the viewer because it is a full wave of nostalgia, as we see a recollection of the characters growing up and facing new commitments, and how broken relationships had their repercussions in the present day. This comes with the bonus of admiring the filmography of a French New Wave master that kept experimenting and finding new voices of cinematic styles. Too bad that the film ends with a nasty tone that pretended to be funny, like if our faults were irremediable, and it cannot stand on its own. So it is recommended for the sake of memories and benign melancholy, but <i>Love on the Run</i> itself is empty. I do appreciate, however, every scene featuring Colette, that interesting woman we first met in 1962. She made it all worth it. 66/100