Loving You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loving You Reviews

½ March 15, 2015
This is what I would have expected from Elvis' debut film. It's not bad, but it's also pretty boringly straight forward. It's the old cliché story of the scrappy rural kid nobody who climbs his way to stardom through honest hard work and overcoming his insecurities. Elvis is being Elvis but you want more insight into him-- not the superficial mommy issues and upright perfect moral boy stuff. Also come on they could have thought of a better name than DEKE Rivers... terrible.
Points for all of the amazing western wear and Elvis looking cute.
½ February 25, 2015
So so movie, only for American history buffs and Elvis fans.
August 30, 2014
i enjoyed the songs but the story was boring
November 29, 2013
Dear edward,

I love you because you make me look forward to each day. You're my everything, a dream come true. There are no words to express what I feel for you. There are no songs as beautiful as the music that fills my soul when I hear your voice. There are no roses as lovely as your smile. Nothing moves me like you do. There are no days brighter than the days I spend talking to you on the phone. You're my light in the darkness. There could never be words strong enough to express my love for you. I love you with my body, soul, and mind. You're my everything. I love you so much, edward!

Love always,

Janet
July 2, 2013
I have the soundtrack and it's great. It's a pre-army film too! I'd love to see it, but I can't find a *CHEAP* copy.
jjnxn
March 9, 2013
Early Elvis that, probably due to distribution problems, is his most obscure. A decent if unexceptional film that contains one of his more popular songs "Teddy Bear" as well as the title tune. It tells a simple tale of a country bumpkin looking for a place in the world and incidently having a great voice and star power to burn. While most Elvis films except for his worse usually have at least one quality performer, Barbara Stanwyck in Roustabout, Gig Young in Kid Galahad, Angela Lansbury in Blue Hawaii etc., this one has one of the better casts with Lizabeth Scott, Wendell Corey and in the first film of her brief pre-convent career Dolores Hart. A pleasant entertainment.
October 14, 2012
Elvis 2nd movie and the first in colour.

This movie is like watching a biopic of his early rise to fame and it's ace because of this...Great songs and pretty good acting from a young Elvis.
½ December 20, 2011
Young Elvis is electrifying when he's singing and dancing, but Loving You has way too much melodrama to be truly satisfying.
½ March 27, 2011
una din cele mai bune melodii dea lui
SB
September 3, 2010
If you care for the plot, it's the same as every other Elvis Presley movie ever made. A talented small town kid rises to fame and fortune after being discovered by the industry. Half an hour into the film we're introduced to the kid's romantic interest, which develops in parallel to the advancement of the kid's music career; later, of course, there's a bit of a skirmish in that front, until everything turns out well in the end. Yawn.

Having said this, the music is good, and Presley's on-stage performances look like ... Presley's on-stage performances, which is to say they are fun. The characters are extremely formulaic, but the acting is decent. But the best thing of all is the Technicolor, which looks just gorgeous. All in all, as far as Elvis Presley formula movies go, this is a decent one.
August 9, 2010
Elvis is suitably young and innocent looking for the same role in what is, and as you'd expect, a rags to riches musician story. Presley is very good though, and fits in well with the established cast.
½ September 8, 2009
Elvis Presley commands top billing in the Hal Kanter film LOVING YOU, but it is Lizbeth Scott who commands the attention. Cast as a savvy publicist, Scott has wattage to burn and outshines Elvis at everything but singing. The Hal Kantor & Herbert Baker screenplay possesses more substance that you might imagine for an early Elvis epic. LOVING YOU was the first movie that starred Elvis with his name above the title. Moreover, LOVING YOU introduced the beautiful Dolores Hart as a back-up singer who Elvis takes a shine to when he isn't singing. Wendall Corey co-stars as a washed up musician trying to stage a comeback but winds up going nowhere. Basically, LOVING YOU resembles A STAR IS BORN. Elvis's protagonis Deke Rivers starts out as a beer delivery man, but when LOVING YOU fades out 102 minutes later he is a superstar with a career in television ahead of him. Elvis gets to sing the title song along with "Teddy Bear." The Kantor & Baker storyline parallels some of the events in Elvis's life so it has a semi-autobiographical slant. Rather than a tragic ending, LOVING YOU ends on a high with everybody find fame and success. Elvis gives a sincere performance and shows different facets of his personality. He is sentimental, humble, pugnacious, and elated. Just as Elvis has chemistry to burn with Hart, Corey and Scott make a believable couple.
July 10, 2009
OMG another recycled girl, although this was the first time she was in an Elvis movie so the other one was really her recycled moment. I didn't really see how autobiographical it was, but apparently it was supposed to be a little bit, but if this one was Jailhouse Rock was just the same. It was pretty good, although I do have to admit that hearing the begining on the same song five times in a row does get on my nerves a little bit.
½ October 1, 2008
GOOD MOVIE WORTH WATCHING
September 4, 2008
one of the better Elvis flix
August 28, 2008
"What color you want...I figure your color's yella'"!?
April 21, 2008
Eek! An Elvis Presley movie that I must never watch!!!
April 11, 2008
Superb film and great songs
April 9, 2008
Elvis do I need to say more?
February 28, 2008
he sings, he swoons but doesn't mean that the pic is just a look at possibly how Elvis got into the industry in the first place.