The Mark of Zorro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mark of Zorro Reviews

January 26, 2019
The best thrilling and inspiring movie ever made!
August 13, 2015
Apparently the plot device of having the lead act like a woman so that all can be surprised when we discover that he's the gallant hero as well is one hell of a lot older than I'd imagined (did Joe Campbell write about this trope?). Perhaps the best Zorro is just that for the acrobatics of its lead, the dashing Doug Fairbanks, who never saw a table he couldn't leap over/onto/or under. Its a silent film, yes, but the sheer dynamism of the man cannot be restrained by even the age of the film. The rest of the cast is serviceable, with De La Motte playing the love interest with equal parts demureness and spicy vixen-ity (?!). Its a fun film if unbelievable (as when he holds 20+ guys at bay with a single shot revolver!). Let yourself go.
June 1, 2015
A great romp. saw it in a theater accompanied by a Wurlitzer
February 3, 2015
The first of many Zorro films which is arguably the most entertaining & enduring. Douglas Fairbanks was simply made for this role with his never ending charisma & energy.

The story is simple but it's the dialogue between Fairbanks & the supporting cast that's so great...there is some excellent action also.

His stunt work is just so well executed & despite it's intent it's a funny film that is simply just a crowd pleaser.
½ February 16, 2014
The original Ba(ndi)tman. So a California man (Douglas Fairbanks) has to make a stand against an oppressing government, so he assumes a secret identity to make a stance. Now I have very limited knowledge of Zorro; I saw the first Antonio Banderas movie in theaters, but that was over fifteen years ago. I had almost forgotten not only how unassailably cool this crafty, swashbuckling character is, but what an inspiration he is to other characters; we would not have a Dread Pirate Roberts without Zorro, and we might not even have a Batman. Seriously, there are tons of parallels, such as the secret identity, desire to punish crime, etc. This is one of the first silent action/adventure films I have seen (the majority of my exposure to silent movies has been in the genres of comedy and horror), and I have to say, whenever Zorro is doing something daring, it is pure movie magic. The only real negative I have to say about this is there are times when the titles cards are displayed for twice the amount of time that they need to be, which could have shaved a solid 10 minutes off of the runtime. Still, plenty of good bits to this, and it is well worth your time if you are a fan of the character.
½ October 12, 2013
Great fun with some excellent sword fights, and Douglas Fairbanks is always entertaining.
September 29, 2013
This is the first film version of the story of Zorro, released only 1 year after the book it was based off of, "The Curse of Capistrano." We follow young Diego who becomes a masked vigilante sworn to help protect Native Americans, the clergy and all else who are oppressed. The damsel Lolita is betrothed to Diego, but has little interest in him; although she falls for his alter ego, Zorro. As a silent film, you can only like this movie if you like silent films--as is the case with all silent films. It runs a bit long, as anything over 90 minutes in my opinion is too long for a movie unless it really has you reeled in. For a silent film, this is a tough thing to do. The movie could be much shorter if they cut the text shots in half. I guess people in those days read at amodern day second grade level. Overall, it was a good recount of the story, however I felt that Douglas Fairbanks was too dorky as Zorro. Perhaps they were one of the first to attempt the Peter Parker/Spiderman or Clark Kent/Superman concept of the dorky persona becomes quite cool (even in tights), but this didn't seem to work with Zorro. He even seemed dorky after he put on the mask of Zorro. He was quite a talented acrobat, assuming in those days the actors did their own stunts.. If you like silent films and the story of Zorro, I recommend this film. If you like Zorro, but not silent films there are two other versions with the same title released in 1940 and 1974 and "The Mask of Zorro" released in 1998--try any of those.
June 12, 2013
The tale of Zorro, the legendary noblemen from California rebelling against the territory's corrupted government. A Douglas Fairbanks vehicle, with the star himself carrying the film with great charisma and providing further proof of just how well his cinematic personality suited the popular swashbucklers of the time. The Mark of Zorro can also be seen as a blueprint for several films of the other kind which followed it. Fans of the genre will certainly not be disappointed.
March 20, 2013
Douglas Fairbanks is awesome in "The Mark of Zorro", the first film to bring the masked hero to the silver screen. Fairbanks' acrobatics are still impressive today, possibly more so now as he did all of it will no CGI or any of the modern tricks. Mostly, this film is just a fun little adventure flick, with a fun hero and some great stunts. Definitely recommended for anyone who can enjoy a good silent film.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. The original, need to watch.
November 26, 2012
Based on the story once published on a news paper, The Curse of Capistrano, written by Johnston McCulley and Douglas Fairbanks, The Mark Of Zorro was released as a silent film in the year of 1920. Directed by Fred Niblo, this film was the essential foundation of new Adventure type genre mixed with a Western spice. Balanced with romance and humor, the film sets off, not only a genre, but a whole line of movies featuring its main character (Zorro). Through out the film, we are entertained by an array of (now classic) good versus evil, with the sequences of sword fights, horse pursues, a jail breakage, fancy costumes, plenty of extras, and a chanting musical score. The Mark of Zorro not only gives audiences a great film, but a great hero as well. Starting Douglas Fairbanks, Marguerite De La Motte, and Robert Mckim, this film was in relations a pavement; setting the path for many Westerns, Adventure and perhaps Action movies to come.
½ June 27, 2012
The only thing 'wrong' with a film like this is that, after almost a century of remakes and imitations, the original genius can be ... well ... MASKED ... by seeming familiarity. I confess, we were sceptical. It was cited, however, as one of several early references drawn on by Bob Kane and Bill Finger in their original creation of 'Batman'; and we'd decided to prepare for the coming THE DARK KNIGHT RISES film by viewing a succession of the Caped Crusader's inspirations and earlier interpretations. It seems we're off to a good start: We were surprised how MUCH we enjoyed it!
February 21, 2012
Помимо не до конца убедительного фехтования и пары слегка глуповатых моментов все остальное очень даже неплохо. В конце отличный экшн (хотя опять же далекий до идеала) с замашками аля простенький Бастер Китон.
December 5, 2011
Fantastic film. Douglas Fairbanks is dashing!
½ July 14, 2011
Zorro was just as exciting back then! For a silent film there was a lot of action and clever things.
June 28, 2011
I consider watching the modern version good enough to know the story.
June 12, 2011
Douglas Fairbanks is having so much fun sword-fighting everybody in this movie its hard not to like.
½ April 18, 2011
Douglas Fairbanks beats people up and then laughs at them. What's not to like? Also, Batman.
Mr Awesome
March 20, 2011
1920's "The Mark of Zorro" may not have invented the superhero, but Douglas Fairbanks' performance in this role must've surely provided the inspiration for many of the costumed heroes to come in the following decades (I'm looking at you, Batman). Fairbanks not only handles the swash-buckling (that's a given), he hits just the right note with his secret identity, the effete Don Diego, son of a caballero and lover of all things gentle and safe. Don Diego saw that there was injustice towards the California natives by the tyrannical governor and watched while his fellow caballeros stood by and let it happen. To fight evil he becomes the masked avenger, Zorro. Meanwhile, his father wants him to court the lovely Lolita Pulido (Marquerite De La Motte) of the Pulido family, who have fallen on hard times. Don Diego courts her as both himself and as Zorro, to see which one she prefers, and if all she's interested in is his money. Zorro also has a secret lair with false panel intrances, and a mute indian servant who knows his secret identity (as I've said, he's the superhero archetype in many ways).

The Mark of Zorro is quite action-packed in it's 105 minutes. Douglas Fairbanks is electrifying, as usual. He's not necessarily a terribly handsome man, but he's loaded with so much charisma he demands your attention. It's a great performance in a great action film from the silent era.
March 20, 2011