Masquerade Reviews

• Nov 22, 2019

Well played Meg...well played...

Well played Meg...well played...

• Aug 30, 2017

While looking at the films that are interesting, usually the ones that really do thrill me, move me and keep me on the edge of the seat, well, not as good as to say thrilling. I think Masquerade would be the proper example. While it had a good plot but when watching this movie I really do think it has it's moments, like the relationship between the characters played by Rob Lowe and Meg Tilly and all. I think this is the same plot as Body Heat starring William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. While I am a fan of 80's, I think this drama thriller is just a solid experience.

• Jun 06, 2017

Plenty of twists in this good mystery center around a penniless yacht captain in a plan with two others to get their hands on a young woman's inherited fortune in the Hamptons. Rob Lowe a perfect fit in this role.

• Aug 19, 2016

A woman falls in lust with a dangerous killer in the Hamptons. This suspense is a bit of creepy fun. I found myself drawn into its story and characters.

• May 28, 2015

I believe the movie was made depending on the Rob's popularity at that time. He is ok but I believe Meg Tilly saves the course plotted movie from being hopeless. Her performance as a neat, clean and innocent rich woman is rare in Hollywood movies.

• Apr 15, 2015

Lowe really shines in this surprising little thriller.

Lowe really shines in this surprising little thriller.

• Apr 11, 2015

Surprisingly good 80s thriller from "Law & Order" creator Dick Wolf. I never watched this film back in the day, dismissing it for it's bad VHS box cover art and the fact that Rob Lowe was in it (who I now like in his post-Brat Pack years). Like Lawrence Kasdan's "Body Heat," this film is a sexy modern take on the classic film noir. Meg Tilly plays the rich heirress of lascivious John Glover (who's latest girlfriend is played by Dana Delany in an early role). Tilly is wooed by slick gigolo Lowe, who worms is way into her life. Kim Cattrall also has a key role (and a very sexy one) in the film as another Hamptons rich lady who uses Lowe as her man on the side. It's a classic throwback type of story along the lines of "A Kiss Before Dying" but with ramped up 80s style sweaty sexuality. The film also features a deliciously drippy John Barry score. But most of all, this film reminded me of how much I liked Meg Tilly and wish she had been in more good films.

• Red L Super Reviewer
    Feb 07, 2014

I like Meg Tilly in this movie. She plays her part with the right touch of innocence and entitlement

• Oct 21, 2013

Monday, October 21, 2013 (1988) Masquerade DRAMA THRILLER "Masquerade" is a name of a boat that's intentioned for sail racing owned by wealthy heiress Olivia (Meg Tilly). The film appeared to look like an erotic drama but succumbs to becoming an un-suspenseful thriller centering on yuppie looking Tim Whalen played by Rob Lowe hired to live with a wealthy extravagant couple in the Hamptons to lead a sail racing boat. He's then gets attached to Olivia who's inherited a substantial fortune from her mother while living with her stepfather who's already gotten a girlfriend played by Dana Delany. By looking at the big picture, this film may have been the basis for other films that followed particularly 1998 "Wild Things" since they're some unexpected twists along the way, and 1992 "Basic Instinct" because of the approach to some erotic scenes as well as the musical score. It's basically a little mystery thriller movie with almost zero suspense that could've been another Hitchcock's Suspicion. What we get instead is a dramatized drama soap opera with splashes of some erotic scenes which doesn't offer any new surprises even though it does have it's moments which can keep viewers interested until the end without any care. And Rob Lowe is too shallow for this role to be taken seriously. 2.5 out of 4

• Aug 02, 2013

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.