Metropolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Metropolis Reviews

December 1, 2016
watched the extended cut. never seen it before. I'm in awe of the production value and strange, twisted story.
November 25, 2016
Awe-inspiring science fiction classic that remains a standout & major influence in all films since. Despite being nearly 90 years old and a silent movie, "Metropolis" still manages to dazzle with his brilliant depictions of the futuristic city (that would go on to influence everything from "Star Wars" to "Blade Runner") along with a nice commentary on life in a totalitarian society. 'Maria', the robot, remains a brilliant creation as one of the first depictions of artificial intelligence in film and a major influence as well (she remains one of the best robots depicted in fiction). Granted, the acting is cheesy (though standard for the silent film ear) and the visual effects have aged a bit, but this remains Fritz Lang's masterpiece and a hallmark in science fiction movies.
October 31, 2016
Fritz Lang's "Metroplis" marks the birth of science fiction and is still an awe-inspiring classic of the silent film era.
½ October 21, 2016
3.5/5 Stars. Watched the Giorgio Moroder version with music so it wasn't 2 hours of silence. A silent film with subtitles in places and a plot that reminds me these were the days when movies had storylines as deep as an early 2000s FPS, Metropolis nonetheless succeeds in providing a Bioshock-esque world of slave worker peons endlessly drudging away for the benefit of their masters above (set in 2026, so it's rather timely). The son of the boss above, Freder, happens to meet Maria, a woman who wants a better life for everyone, and goes about opening his eyes to the injustice of the world he lives in. An evil scientist douche working for Freder's dad meanwhile creates a robot that can assume the appearance of anyone, so long as it undergoes a process in the douche's lab. He uses this robot to adopt Maria's appearance so as to control the workers she has so much power over. Things don't exactly work out as planned.

Some observations: as this was in the early days of film, the actors are legit wearing stage makeup still, which makes Freder in particular look pretty scary to the modern eye. As well, I guess it was a convention of the theatre/silent movies that you over-act to convey emotion and things that would be said normally, which can be seen particularly in Maria's flight from Rotwang. One thing I loved was how Rotwang's whole science expertise was presented as dabbling in the dark arts, kind of like Frankenstein, and having demonic power (a number of pentagrams can be seen). The old creepy connection of science and the occult that people made prior to the 1960s re-imagining of the occult as folkish and mystical still makes for great storylines, as does the old way of filming which turned fairly ordinary, normal building spaces into spooky, evil things with excellent use of shadow and natural, worn features (the 1960s folk occult trend continued this, thankfully).

Overall, an excellent very old movie. To the modern eye, it seems pretty basic, but it provides a window into early cinema and is definitely a different experience from modern film.
½ October 4, 2016
Metropolis is a blockbuster for better and for worse meaning that it is grand and epic in scope and visually marvelous, but it has overwhelming action near the end and that is the only flaw the movie has. It is otherwise a spectacular achievement with groundbreaking special effects, some marvelous camera movements and great shots, gorgeous and highly imaginative and memorable imagery, very original and influential storyline, likable characters and mostly good performances. It is a quintessential German expressionist picture and one of the finest silent as well as science fiction films of all time.
September 29, 2016
Staggering in vision, scope, and execution -- truly a masterpiece. I had the good fortune to see this with a live score performance by the Alloy Ensemble at the Wexner Center in Columbus, OH, with original footage restored from a print discovered in Buenos Aires in 2010 and it was engaging for the full 2.5 hours. This film introduces many tropes that are still very much part of our cinematic vocabulary 90 years later -- futuristic dystopia, human/machine dichotomy, apocalyptic symbolism, dire warnings of the dangers of mob mentality and "science as god"; and also stunning visuals and surprisingly thrilling action sequences in the final third of the movie. A landmark film deservedly referred to as THE masterpiece of the silent era.
September 18, 2016
Get why this is a highly rated film, yet there were a ton of slow parts that left me dragging through it. Love the visual effects for that period of time.
September 17, 2016
4 out of 5 stars! This was a cool movie! Especially considering it was made in 1923! The effects and production value they were able to achieve back then was incredible! This is probably the first, if not one of the first action and sci-fi films ever. The black and white and silence made it so mysterious and haunting. I think it's time for a modern remake of this too! ??
½ September 14, 2016
When I first heard about this movie I evidently wasn't interested in it. I thought, a movie from the 20s, how good can it be? This is movie is a visually stunning movie for it's day and absolutely amazing story for a movie as old as it is. Classic piece of film making here.
½ August 29, 2016
Highly entertaining. I'm so impressed with the set of this film. Also, I can't believe how underrated the movie was at its time of release.
August 20, 2016
If you haven't seen it, you can't be an SF movie fan. Don't argue, watch.
August 11, 2016
This is a fascinating movie and incredibly made for the era.
July 25, 2016
I was fortunate to see this film accompanied by a live musical score. The impact of the music with the film was incredible. I'm lucky to have access to a theater that is so forward thinking. If you ever have this opportunity, I highly recommend it.
½ July 21, 2016
Amazing specials effects given when this film was made. This movie is epic in what it tried to undertake (love story in a dystopian world with the advent of robots in the horizon). For someone tried to make this movie today they would ruin it, but I would also love to see and interpretation and actually feel like a lot of movies have copied from this very early film. Makes me think that there aren't really any original movie ideas.
July 17, 2016
I finally saw it and it was the restored version which unfortunately took away from the drama as the inserted portions were of bad quality and didn't add much to the action. Nonetheless an intriguing early view of class conflict.
July 2, 2016
As you watch this masterpiece, just keep telling yourself that it was made in 1927. The vision is breathtaking. It is a truly remarkable piece of science fiction and so many of our cinema history can trace its origins back to this film. Think about Star Wars, Blade Runner, Dune, The Matrix and any number of other great movies of this genre and they all owe something to Fritz Lang's Metropolis. It is incredible to think that a mere 7 years after the word "Robot was invented, Lang gave us one of the defining images of what a robot should look like in the form of Maria. The story of a giant city where a privileged class have everything while workers toil in a subterranean world of machines and squalor is stunningly bought to life. Firmly rooted in the Art Deco era, the sets are impressive and the costumes lavish. The plot is bonkers and yet, so skilfully told that as the melodrama unfolds, you can't help but be carried along with it. Fritz Lang's vision is as bold and striking today as it must have been to early cinema goers who I'm sure must have been thrilled and shocked by what they saw. If you've never seen a silent movie, never fear as you rapidly forget and adjust to the lack of voices. I would liken the experience to going to see a ballet or dance piece at the theatre. Give it a go as you will, I am sure, never forget this early work of genius.
June 30, 2016
Considérer comme le premier film de science-fiction de l'histoire du cinéma, Metropolis possède indéniablement une saveure historique pour les amateurs de cinéma. Malgré son âge , le film n'as pas trops mal viellis et demeure un des classiques du cinéma muet
½ June 23, 2016
Thoroughly imaginative and clearly symbolic, but it's also held back in its time with all of its actors' gesticulations.
June 16, 2016
My all time favorite movie. With the world the way it is today, it just makes the movie feel even more accurate and relevant.
½ June 6, 2016
Absolutely mind-blowing film. Highly political, ahead of its time to the point of seeming prophetic, and visually beyond anything I thought possible in 1927!