Metropolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Metropolis Reviews

July 13, 2017
An interesting silent move which has striking visuals especially when you consider it was made in Wiemar era Germany. The story is almost secondary to the grand scale of the cinematography.
June 9, 2017
People really had thought when they made this movie. This was an excellent plot with good acting and iconic moments. This is not something you'll forget. This is where sci-fi began.
May 7, 2017
I watched this movie because I saw the poster of this movie on graphic design history book. Turns out I was amazed by everything people in 20s era did to this movie, the story, the city, the imagination, and the messege.
½ April 16, 2017
well done for it's time period
April 12, 2017
Metropolis is one of the most important sci-fi movies ever made. It has inspired countless directors and writers and helped establish an entire genre. It survived a severe editing process, and still manages to wow me. Incredible movie even by today's standards.
½ April 10, 2017
(Criterion Collection, 2010 version) I had a misapprehension of the plot; given that we only ever see the robot transformation in clips, I was expecting an early SF rather than a politico-religious morality tale. However it was entertainingly told, and a certain amount of melodrama is forgivable considering the period.

Most importantly though, this is justly famous as a non-stop visual tour de force, with something beautiful, amazing and powerful to be found in every shot.
April 2, 2017
Just too weird for me
March 24, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made, and a must watch for any serious movie lover!
March 14, 2017
slow moving but really interesting injection of the politics that were happening at the time.
January 19, 2017
Metropolis was a visual feast, it is the most iconic science fiction film produced in the silent film era. The story was taken from Lang's wife's novel of the same name, it is about a divided society (much like that of The Time Machine by H.G. Wells), there is a prophecy that a person of neither the elite nor the poor would unite them. A young heir of a tycoon fell in love with a woman who lives underground to power the city, turns out she's the leader of a resistance movement to unite the two groups. But an evil scientist wishes to take over the city by means of using a robot to pretend to be the leader to stir strife. It is up to the young heir to save the city.

It was beautiful, so stunning. I love the art deco style with a mixture of classical buildings with some futuristic sets. Every shot, every frame was beautiful. I didn't know silent film could be this beautiful until this movie (I love German expressionism but they were more melancholic). The acting was not the greatest, the make up were quite heavy too, but I think it was done for the unrestored version, so it's not a problem. The story itself is not the greatest, it had some socialistic undertone (though it did show socialism was bad too), given that Von Harbou went on to become a Nazi, it made sense. But I was not sure why the Nazis would have liked the film which also bashed socialism.
½ January 15, 2017
"Metropolis" started off on the wrong foot by setting the plot with a boring introduction and was very prone to bad pacing throughout. Add to that the very cringe-worthy overacting and the basic - and, 90 years later, way too obvious - symbolism and this is definitely far from a masterpiece. Still, the original music is majestic, the script increasingly interesting, the FX excellent for their time and several scenes perfectly set and realized. Lang's directorial prowess and vision shine through.
December 29, 2016
Monumental silent masterpiece of german expressionism from one of the greatest directors Fritz Lang. Now it's obvious where the whole sci-fi genre has come from. It's absolutely overwhelming in every cinematic aspect possible. I'd say this is the height of the silent cinema, of its possibilities. And the actress in the dual role is mesmerizing. Fine example of German cinema that heavily influenced the world cinema.
½ December 21, 2016
Metropolis is a grand and mesmerizing film with profound philosophical themes and stellar production design.
December 15, 2016
This silent film really is a defining start of science fiction, and a message that still remains blind in the modern era. Its artistic ambition of a futuristic world definitely resonates in cinema today, with much of the sets and special effects both thrilling and dazzling at the same time. In a way, they convey the message better than any film with dialogue could ever do, despite it being adamant in doing so. Whether or not we will see it in its full form will not matter, for Metropolis is a film so powerful it engraves more than just an vision of the future, but a path to it.
December 11, 2016
I understand the historical importance of this movie and everything, but I'm rating it based on my personal enjoyment.
December 1, 2016
watched the extended cut. never seen it before. I'm in awe of the production value and strange, twisted story.
November 25, 2016
Awe-inspiring science fiction classic that remains a standout & major influence in all films since. Despite being nearly 90 years old and a silent movie, "Metropolis" still manages to dazzle with his brilliant depictions of the futuristic city (that would go on to influence everything from "Star Wars" to "Blade Runner") along with a nice commentary on life in a totalitarian society. 'Maria', the robot, remains a brilliant creation as one of the first depictions of artificial intelligence in film and a major influence as well (she remains one of the best robots depicted in fiction). Granted, the acting is cheesy (though standard for the silent film ear) and the visual effects have aged a bit, but this remains Fritz Lang's masterpiece and a hallmark in science fiction movies.
October 31, 2016
Fritz Lang's "Metroplis" marks the birth of science fiction and is still an awe-inspiring classic of the silent film era.
½ October 21, 2016
3.5/5 Stars. Watched the Giorgio Moroder version with music so it wasn't 2 hours of silence. A silent film with subtitles in places and a plot that reminds me these were the days when movies had storylines as deep as an early 2000s FPS, Metropolis nonetheless succeeds in providing a Bioshock-esque world of slave worker peons endlessly drudging away for the benefit of their masters above (set in 2026, so it's rather timely). The son of the boss above, Freder, happens to meet Maria, a woman who wants a better life for everyone, and goes about opening his eyes to the injustice of the world he lives in. An evil scientist douche working for Freder's dad meanwhile creates a robot that can assume the appearance of anyone, so long as it undergoes a process in the douche's lab. He uses this robot to adopt Maria's appearance so as to control the workers she has so much power over. Things don't exactly work out as planned.

Some observations: as this was in the early days of film, the actors are legit wearing stage makeup still, which makes Freder in particular look pretty scary to the modern eye. As well, I guess it was a convention of the theatre/silent movies that you over-act to convey emotion and things that would be said normally, which can be seen particularly in Maria's flight from Rotwang. One thing I loved was how Rotwang's whole science expertise was presented as dabbling in the dark arts, kind of like Frankenstein, and having demonic power (a number of pentagrams can be seen). The old creepy connection of science and the occult that people made prior to the 1960s re-imagining of the occult as folkish and mystical still makes for great storylines, as does the old way of filming which turned fairly ordinary, normal building spaces into spooky, evil things with excellent use of shadow and natural, worn features (the 1960s folk occult trend continued this, thankfully).

Overall, an excellent very old movie. To the modern eye, it seems pretty basic, but it provides a window into early cinema and is definitely a different experience from modern film.
½ October 4, 2016
Metropolis is a blockbuster for better and for worse meaning that it is grand and epic in scope and visually marvelous, but it has overwhelming action near the end and that is the only flaw the movie has. It is otherwise a spectacular achievement with groundbreaking special effects, some marvelous camera movements and great shots, gorgeous and highly imaginative and memorable imagery, very original and influential storyline, likable characters and mostly good performances. It is a quintessential German expressionist picture and one of the finest silent as well as science fiction films of all time.