Mighty Joe Young Reviews

• Feb 26, 2019

This film never Blobbo cup tea. But many people like. (Either way, restored print very sharp.) (Watch for brief shot Irene Ryan at 36:10, with small speaking part while sitting at bar. (uncredited) )

• Feb 01, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made! Winner of the Best Visual Effects Academy Award!

• Dec 09, 2018

Wow. A beautiful classic to take in.

Wow. A beautiful classic to take in.

• Sep 01, 2018

Honestly, I was not very convinced when I went to see this movie, but I was wrong; It is undoubtedly one of the best classics of the 40's, fantastic special effects and very interesting story. Highly recommend.

• Feb 08, 2018

Decent enough follow-up to the original Kong. Special effects are nearly as good, with Ms Moore & Mr Young holding her own against more seasoned actors.

• Apr 15, 2017

Truly spectacular movie. Yes, it's a King Kong-like movie, but it's done with great care and love by the same people who created the original King Kong. It's a much lighter version of Kong, more like Kong for children. It evokes great range of emotions while watching, from awe through laugh to sentimentality. The sequence with a burning orphanage is a tour-de-force of special effects. Amazing movie.

• Mar 18, 2017

I quite enjoyed this "King Kong" riff which featured the work of the 2 legends of stop-motion animation, Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen. The story is predictable and fairly similar to "King Kong", but it differs in that Joe Young helps humans and becomes a hero. For fans of classic films, this is a must watch. I also enjoyed seeing a very young Ben Johnson from "The Wild Bunch" and his Oscar winning performance in "The Last Picture Show." Check it out!

• Mar 14, 2017

Some wonderful effects by Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen and crew make this movie. For fans of Stop Motion this is a master class in the genre.

• Sep 10, 2016

Remembered as a classic, it's really nothing more than a retread of King Kong. It's harmless enough, but honestly nothing really sticks out. The Stop motion is brilliant, but the story is nothing really to write home about. Average but with its own historical value.

• Aug 03, 2016

This original film of Mighty Joe Young, dating back to 1949. This is still and all time great movie. Unlike King Kong, Joe Young has a heart of gold, thanks in great part to his owner, a lovely Jill Young (Terry Moore). Against her better judgment, Jill allows O'Hara to bring Joe back to the States as a nightclub attraction. Over all Five star movie.