Miracle on 34th Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miracle on 34th Street Reviews

October 8, 2017
a classic Christmas movie who will Macy's Department Store truly believe Santa Claus such as meet and greet and Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, make sure to let your kids watch this movie and what truly is believe is likes. Kris Kringle is Santa Claus because he nice, kind, and culture person, he pretty much does have to do what you still believe. Like alway question was likes Do you believe in Santa Claus? Likes you know as Yes I do believe and No as their no such seen, likes it's you seen Macy's commercials out there mean Believe Santa Claus? As lucky I say Yes I just saw it alots and that why Macy's store who totally believe Santa Claus. but I really love this Christmas movie so much when I was a kid and that what I believe in Santa Claus
½ July 12, 2017
It's a fantastic Christmas movie, one you'll want to watch ever year. (4.5/5)
½ July 10, 2017
Though I don't know if it holds up as well today, it is very difficult to not find enjoyment out of it and it still remains a definitive holiday classic featuring possibly the best Santa Claus ever put on screen.
½ December 25, 2016
This was pretty good. I'd never seen it before so I gave it a try. Gwenn and Payne are very good in it.
December 24, 2016
Christmas classic that holds up perfectly today, thanks to a superb cast and the perfect mixture of intelligence & warmth in its message. The actors are excellent across the board, with Maureen O'Hara naturally charming as a single mother/career woman (in a truly progressive note, is never looked down upon because of it) while Natalie Wood already showed star power at her young age. The standout, of course, is Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle in an Oscar winning performance. Giving the perfect of charm & sweetness, even if you don't think he's Santa Claus, he should be and Gwenn's performance remains the best depiction of the classic character to date. Behind the camera, writer/director George Seaton crafts an intelligent but sweet film that has a nice message about the joy of imagination and believing in Santa Claus isn't such a bad thing. As pointed out, even if Kris is crazy, he's not harming anyone but just being helpful, so what is so wrong with that. Seaton also brings some sly humor, particularly in the politics of denying the existence of Santa (William Frawley is hilarious as a political consultant pointing out how no one will be elected for doing so). Plus, the film itself never settles if Kris is Santa or not till the very last scene, making for one of the best endings in film history. A true Christmas collection and a must viewing every holiday season.
½ December 24, 2016
December 23, 2016
Even though this movie was released in 1947, I still tend to love it unconditionally! If you have never taken the time to watch this film, you must do yourself the favor of doing so! This truly is a timeless classic.
December 23, 2016
Don't settle for remakes, watch the original. Christmas classic.
½ December 21, 2016
I feel like if I had grown up with this movie, I would be much more inclined to give it the Christmas Classic title most people give it. Watching it now for the first time though, I don't know that I can. The story is incredibly silly. Essentially it's about proving the existence of Santa Claus. A cute concept, but the way they go about it feels a little odd. I also found it strange Santa would be hanging out with these people and playing a department store Santa, especially around the Christmas season. Wouldn't this be his busy season in the North Pole? I know I'm trying to add logic to the mythos of a fictional character, but so is this movie, so I think it's a fair critique. It also has some elements that make it feel a little dated and a product of its time, and it's pace feels kind of strange as it sort of just leisurely stroll along. So I can't really call it a great movie. Still, it's an incredibly charming movie, and I put almost all the credit for that with the cast. Everyone does a great job, but Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle absolutely steals the show. I love this take on Santa. He's jolly and kind-hearted, but he also takes his work very seriously. When people disrespect his role or engage in selfish or mean-spirited acts, he can get angry, but it's always justified and you're always on his side in the confrontation. He also has an amazing rapport with Children. He doesn't talk down to them at all, he treats them like equals with valid things to say, but if he feels they need to be taught something he will teach it in a respectful way. To me this is really just an okay movie with a goofy story and some absolutely fantastic performances that elevate the whole thing. This is one of the best movie Santas I've ever seen, and that along with its generally kind-hearted tone make it a very nice movie. Not a great movie, but an undeniably charming one.
December 17, 2016
161217: This film had me giggling. Wonderful and classy as only old films can be.
December 10, 2016
Miracle on 34th Street is a fun holiday movie with iconic imagery (especially the scene where a dozen mailmen haul in bags of letters to Santa to a courthouse). The movie is corny and strange at times, possibly given its age, but for the most parts, it makes the premise of Santa Claus in 1947 New York believable. I doubt children will find much interest in it, especially with the John Grisham courtroom aspects, but adults will identify with the characters and find the movie charming.
December 9, 2016
Aside from height, kringle is perfect. wood is excellent, too. O'Hara does a good job hiding her Irish accent. the bubble gum sound effect is oppressively loud. William LOL-ey. While this movie could be used as a tool of undue criticism by self-styled rationalists, seen as allegorical, it's quite wonderful. Very well written. I would've liked to see it end with more concrete proof. Like a fading shot of Santa flying back to the North Pole. That would've been better. But, oh, well.
December 3, 2016
Miracle On 34th Street shows love and joy into the season with it's complex ideas plus the importance of Christmas
November 24, 2016
It is a stellar and heart warming story that bypasses emotional manipulation and embraces sincere sentimentality that is reminiscent of the golden age of filmmaking.
November 14, 2016
I found this movie boring as a child and couldn't pay much attention. Not much has changed since then. Its not really in my favorite category of Christmas movies. Its a corny but somewhat endearing Christmas movie about santa with thin plotting. The movie has definitely aged with time and department stores depicted are not this big anymore. Gimbles? Never heard of them before.
November 9, 2016
I was expecting more...still, a quite good movie.
May 28, 2016
5 stars black and white version only!
December 29, 2015
So while I thought that the remake of Miracle on 34th Street could've been better, especially with John Hughes as the screenwriter of it, I already thought that the original is going to be so much better, and man was my prediction correct. The story is better handled than the original, and is better casted too, especially with Natalie Wood being a better child actor at acting more like a grown child that talks like an adult than Mara Wilson which I thought was fine, just wasn't the right choice for the remake. In the first scene, you immediately establish what Kris Kringle is like and feel all sense of joy around him that makes people really believe that Edmund Gwenn is Santa Claus. The characters are very memorable, and the writing is really good and doesn't do those stupid plot points like the remake did. The court scenes are very interesting and give off some hilarious moments. The chemistry between Maureen O'Hara and John Payne is better developed and I cared a lot about them to the point that I want them to be together. I can definitely see why the original Miracle on 34th Street is a classic Christmas movie and would actually watch it every Christmas year.
½ December 29, 2015
It takes a lot for me to fall for a sentimental Christmas movie, but this one has excellent balance, charming actors and an original angle that still remains pertinent seventy years after the fact. It all thrives on Edmund Gwenn's definitive performance as Kris Kringle, of course, the man who professes to be the true St. Nick despite the protests of his bosses and coworkers at a busy New York Macy's. His warmth is enveloping and genuine, from the twinkle in his eye to the snug connection he shares with the children. The film's cornerstone moment is an unexpectedly touching little interaction between Gwenn's Santa and a freshly-adopted little Dutch girl who blossoms when he speaks her native tongue. It's stuffed with such surprising bits of whimsy, even as the drama ratchets and we find ourselves in the midst of a courtroom drama, which keeps things from feeling excessively heavy. In short, a heartwarming bit of holiday cheer that nails the spirit of the season without feeling too cheesy, preachy or religious. Well worth its reputation as a classic.