Miracle on 34th Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miracle on 34th Street Reviews

November 24, 2016
It is a stellar and heart warming story that bypasses emotional manipulation and embraces sincere sentimentality that is reminiscent of the golden age of filmmaking.
November 14, 2016
I found this movie boring as a child and couldn't pay much attention. Not much has changed since then. Its not really in my favorite category of Christmas movies. Its a corny but somewhat endearing Christmas movie about santa with thin plotting. The movie has definitely aged with time and department stores depicted are not this big anymore. Gimbles? Never heard of them before.
November 9, 2016
I was expecting more...still, a quite good movie.
May 28, 2016
5 stars black and white version only!
December 29, 2015
So while I thought that the remake of Miracle on 34th Street could've been better, especially with John Hughes as the screenwriter of it, I already thought that the original is going to be so much better, and man was my prediction correct. The story is better handled than the original, and is better casted too, especially with Natalie Wood being a better child actor at acting more like a grown child that talks like an adult than Mara Wilson which I thought was fine, just wasn't the right choice for the remake. In the first scene, you immediately establish what Kris Kringle is like and feel all sense of joy around him that makes people really believe that Edmund Gwenn is Santa Claus. The characters are very memorable, and the writing is really good and doesn't do those stupid plot points like the remake did. The court scenes are very interesting and give off some hilarious moments. The chemistry between Maureen O'Hara and John Payne is better developed and I cared a lot about them to the point that I want them to be together. I can definitely see why the original Miracle on 34th Street is a classic Christmas movie and would actually watch it every Christmas year.
½ December 29, 2015
It takes a lot for me to fall for a sentimental Christmas movie, but this one has excellent balance, charming actors and an original angle that still remains pertinent seventy years after the fact. It all thrives on Edmund Gwenn's definitive performance as Kris Kringle, of course, the man who professes to be the true St. Nick despite the protests of his bosses and coworkers at a busy New York Macy's. His warmth is enveloping and genuine, from the twinkle in his eye to the snug connection he shares with the children. The film's cornerstone moment is an unexpectedly touching little interaction between Gwenn's Santa and a freshly-adopted little Dutch girl who blossoms when he speaks her native tongue. It's stuffed with such surprising bits of whimsy, even as the drama ratchets and we find ourselves in the midst of a courtroom drama, which keeps things from feeling excessively heavy. In short, a heartwarming bit of holiday cheer that nails the spirit of the season without feeling too cheesy, preachy or religious. Well worth its reputation as a classic.
December 29, 2015
When a movie gets the title of a classic, it tends to lower my enjoyment of a movie having that expectation. It's hurt Casablanca and even The Godfather in some sense. But Miracle on 34th Street is worthy of the title "Classic". With a really wonderful performance from Edmund Gwenn and great performances from Maureen O'Hara, Natalie Wood, and John Payne, this is a really delightful movie that was worthy of its Best Screenplay Oscar.
½ December 28, 2015
Edmund Gwenn, obtuvo el Premio Oscar en quizás una de las mejores películas navideñas de todos los tiempos. "Miracle On 34th Street" cuenta la historia de un anciano (Gwenn) interesado en despertar el espíritu de la Navidad y está llena de situaciones graciosas y encantadoras, así como de un magnífico elenco que incluye a Maureen O'Hara, John Payne y una pequeña Natalie Wood. En 1994 tuvo un re-make mediocre y sin el encanto de la versión original.
December 28, 2015
Excellent holiday classic! Not a flaw in it! It's a wonderful choice for families, and reminds us all to believe in the magic of the holiday season.
December 27, 2015
The best version of the film.
December 26, 2015
I think the black-and-white version of "Miracle on 34th Street" is one of the most overrated Christmas movies I've seen on television. I hope NBC should stop playing the movie on Thanksgiving Day next time.
December 25, 2015
It was really good! It has good family humour. It also has a good script and storyline. It is a classic that you will love and cherish forever.
½ December 25, 2015
Probably the best Christmas film of all-time (unless you want to count "Die Hard"). Edmund Gwenn plays a man who claims to be Santa Claus and is is hired by Maureen O'Hara to be the Santa at Macys. O'Hara plays a single mom who believes in being fully honest with her young daughter, Natalie Wood, who doesn't believe in Santa and is herself a little adult. A story about a girl learning the magic of Christmas isn't all that special or original, but this film is smart enough to work on both a kid and adult level. For kids, it's a story about the real Santa teaching a girl to believe. For adults, it's a story about a kind old man who may or may not be mentally ill or Santa. I think this film also endures because it has a very modern feel to it, while something like "It's a Wonderful Life," while quite good, does feel dated. This film is also greatly helped by terrific performances all around, particularly from Gwenn. The scene where the little Dutch girl comes to see Santa and he starts to talk to her in her native language just melts me every time I see it. And look for Thelma Ritter in her film debut as the mother of a child coming to see Santa at Macys.
December 21, 2015
While not the best holiday flick, it's touching, funny, and features one of the best Santa actors ever.
December 20, 2015
Who would ever think that a Santa could be this honest? Classic feel good movie for the holiday, or any time you out want to feel good. Picture if ever employee was this honest as a sales person. Lol
December 19, 2015
The perfect Christmas movie. Wonderful script, acting and just the right touch of whimsy, fantasy, sentimentality including some great fun with New York accents and attitudes.
December 10, 2015
Still one of the best Christmas movies ever!
½ December 6, 2015
Not a huge fan of the plot, but every actor does a superb job in making believable performances, especially Edmund Gwenn as the one and only Santa Claus!
December 1, 2015
This move has a different plot and is a bit unique from other Christmas movies and that is why I wanted to watch this movie. The plot is about a guy named Kris Kringle who claims he is Santa Clause. After several interactions with different characters he ends up in court because his opponents are saying that he is not really Santa Clause because he doesn't exist and is only mentioned because of the kids and that Kris Kringle should be placed in a mental institution because he is a menace to society. I just didn't feel that warm Christmas feeling when watching this movie. The characters and plot were too simplistic in my opinion and I didn't feel any closure at the end of the movie.
½ September 7, 2015
A staple to any must see Christmas viewing.