Miracle on 34th Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miracle on 34th Street Reviews

December 8, 2015
Christmas classic that holds up perfectly today, especially in comparison to the numerous failed remakes. The cast is excellent across with board, with Maureen O'Hara her usual radiance while Natalie Wood already showed signs of stardom at a young age as Susie. The star, though, is Edmund Gwenn's brilliant, Oscar-winning performance as Kris Kringle, giving arguable the greatest depiction of Santa Claus on screen, so much so that even if you don't believe he is, you wish he was. Behind the camera, George Seaton crafts a heart-warming yet witty movie, with gentle but pointed jabs at the over-consumerism of the holidays along with fun legal & political humor (seeing adults dance around whether Santa is real or not is hilarious). Best of all, it is not revealed to the very end if Kris Kringle is the real Santa or not. A true classic that has only gotten better with age.
½ December 6, 2015
Not a huge fan of the plot, but every actor does a superb job in making believable performances, especially Edmund Gwenn as the one and only Santa Claus!
December 1, 2015
This move has a different plot and is a bit unique from other Christmas movies and that is why I wanted to watch this movie. The plot is about a guy named Kris Kringle who claims he is Santa Clause. After several interactions with different characters he ends up in court because his opponents are saying that he is not really Santa Clause because he doesn't exist and is only mentioned because of the kids and that Kris Kringle should be placed in a mental institution because he is a menace to society. I just didn't feel that warm Christmas feeling when watching this movie. The characters and plot were too simplistic in my opinion and I didn't feel any closure at the end of the movie.
½ September 7, 2015
A staple to any must see Christmas viewing.
August 9, 2015
Enchanting and romantic.
June 16, 2015
One of the greatest films ever made! I can watch this year-round and never get tired of Christmas!
June 9, 2015
Heart warming and fun
April 22, 2015
Corny as H-E-double hockey sticks, but I can see why this is a continual Christmas classic. Edmund Gwenn IS the most iconic Santa Claus I can think of. Good family classic.
½ February 28, 2015
Sometimes funny, often powerful, but always endearing and charming, Miracle on 34th Street is certainly a classic children's movie with engaging and entirely sweet story, wonderful ending, great message and likable characters. It could have been longer and the courtroom scenes should have been reduced for more scenes with Doris and Susan, but it is overall such a beautiful film that is for everyone, not just children, thanks to a wonderful story, great characters, fine acting and terrific, quite important message.
January 30, 2015
The upbeat story and message of faith and generosity which are presented in "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947) remain more relevant today than when the film premiered nearly seventy years ago. Edmund Gwenn's delightful Academy Award-winning performance as Kris Kringle created a character that generations of children and adults alike have come to love. Gwenn is so memorable in the role that he came to forever be identified with Santa Claus until his dying day.
December 30, 2014
One of my favorite Christmas movies.
December 29, 2014
People should have the right to believe whatever they want to believe as long as it doesn't harm anyone. What a great message in this charming and often funny Christmas movie. It also delivers great subtle commentary on commercialism which is just as relevant today as it was back when this movie was released
December 28, 2014
Glad I have finally seen this! Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn) is the actual Santa Claus. He is walking around the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade when he is approached to replace a drunk Santa. He does so well that the supervisor Doris Walker (Maureen O'Hara) hires him for the Christmas season to be the Santa the kids all visit. Doris gets a bit more when she realizes that Kris believes he is the actual Santa! Kris recommends customers go to other stores if Macys doesnt have the item in stock, but it makes the customers want to shop at Macys even more. Mr. Macy himself enjoys this new popularity and puts Doris in a bind when she attempts to fire Kris. Kris meets Doris' daughter Susan who doesn't believe in Santa, but soon opens her eyes to a different view. Eventually some events conspire and its up to a young lawyer Fred Gailey (John Payne) to prove to a court that Kris isn't crazy and is indeed the real Santa. Overall, some people may be put off by the black and white of the film, but it was really well done and has a lot of heart. Overall, a definite look for the holidays!
December 24, 2014
An absolute classic the whole family can enjoy. Christmas isn't the same without it - has to be the black and white version though!
December 21, 2014
"Miracle on 34th Street" really does deliver its wonderful moments on how funny; heart-warming; exciting and of course how groovy this movie really is. Edmund Gwenn gives a wonderful performance for his role as Kris Kringle, and when you see him in this role you buy him the fact that he is Santa Claus. Natalie Wood is also wonderful in this movie as the rest cast all did great. The movie is well shot in black and white, and it is extremely well directed. I love this movie, and it will always be a classic Christmas movie.
½ December 18, 2014
It only took me 45 years to finally watch it.
½ December 17, 2014
Despite seeing it dubbed in French, i quite enjoyed this oldie. A good xmas movie with some funny parts.
December 16, 2014
Amazing Christmas film
½ December 15, 2014
While I do think this is a enjoyable Christmas film, it is not one of the best in my opinion and I did think that things could have been improved upon. I will start with the positive. Edmund Gwenn easily plays the best character in the whole movie and I thought he really embodied his role as Kris Kringle. He was charming, likable, and he was a fun character to watch. Natalie Wood also did great as Susan and the scenes that she has with Edmund Gwenn are really the best in the movie and their chemistry felt genuine and heartwarming. The film was directed well and it is a good movie to watch to get into the holiday spirit. The story and plot were interesting and that alone was the reason I wanted to watch the movie. Now, here are the flaws that I have that keep it from being a masterpiece in my opinion. My biggest gripe has to be the ending. I thought it felt rushed and it felt like it just happened and I didn't feel anything from it like the film wanted me to. The pacing in the film was just a little weak at times and I thought there were scenes that didn't mean anything to the story that was being told and my final flaw is that there could have been more scenes with Kris Kringle and Susan because I really got into their relationship and it ended quicker than I expected. With all that said, it is still definitely a good and enjoyable Christmas movie and it is not a bad film at all.
½ December 15, 2014
One of the best Christmas classics of all time with great performances, especially Gwenn's made the best Santa; and like its UK title: a big heart filled with magic. (A)

(Full review coming soon)