Mischief - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mischief Reviews

August 15, 2010
Don't overestimate the potential entertainment value of Kelly Preston's two whole seconds of full frontal; can you spell merkin?

Just the same, this generally-overlooked, nostalgic, cutesy gander at 1950s teenage romance, sex and bad boys IS worth viewing - even though every single cliche scene and phrase you could ever possibly imagine or remember on those topics has been cobbled together to become this script. The James Dean / Natalie Wood 'chicken' car dare from "Rebel Without A Cause" is shamelessly ripped off.

Still, the film basically works. Mostly because director Damski had the insight to pour his budget into incredibly realistic & detailed set pieces and props, quality camera-work, sharp color - and a no-corners-cut soundtrack.

There's likely not another film that looks more like days and nights at 1956 MidwestBurg High School that this one; in that sense it even gives "American Graffiti" a real run for the money. Everything from malted glasses to costumes to cars (even a moving van) are, visually, amazingly authentic - and well filmed.

The 1950ish town square seen actually still exists in the condition filmed here, less a few props, at the center of Nelsonville, Ohio. You'll wish you could pull right up to a speaker and order fries at Jerry's pink-'n-sky-blue-neon drive-in.

With remaining funds, Damski employed a quintet of then-budding actors you've-sort-of-heard-of, all of whom do really good work, especially considering the lines they've been dealt. At fin, Jami Gertz has never looked lovelier.

The kids (and you) get to groove to Fats Domino, Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Platters, Little Richard, and other top-notchers, including a few true jewels you might have forgotten.

RECOMMENDATION: If you liked "American Graffiti," "Grease," "Happy Days" et. al., it's a pretty safe wager you'll be-bop to this one too.
July 26, 2010
I really want to see this movie!!! It looks really funny, and Kelly Preston ahh What a babe in her day!!!
½ May 15, 2010
A warm, sweet natured film. Not so much a teenage sex raunch comedy, which is how it was originally marketed as in the spring of 1985. It's more a nostalgic celebration of coming of age in the 50's.

Dweeb virgin Doug Mckeon ( fresh from On Golden Pond ) lusts after the beyond gorgeous uber babe Kelly Preston. After typically embarrassing attempts, he scores with her in probably one of the most refreshingly honest, realistic, first time sex scene in movie history.

Movie then turns into a charming tale of friendship between McKeon, Preston, Catherine Mary Stewart and her motorcycle riding rebel boyfriend, played by Chris Nash.

The aura of nostalgia is graced by 50's music, cozily fuzzy scenes of rural farms and bright small towns, and spot on period detail

And it must be said again, , Kelly Preston was at the height of her golden beauty in this movie : an absolutely stunningly beautiful woman. Mr Travolta is a lucky man.
May 8, 2010
They filmed the one scene near where I went to college. Of course I saw this silly flick. It's part of my upbringing. Silly and a bit cheesy in a 1980s way but still one of my favorite movies. Catherine Mary Stewart was SOOOO adorable. Great fun.
April 8, 2010
Remember this?????????
January 30, 2010
Clasico del cine Teen de los 80s, definitivamente una de las peliculas que nos hace aniorar esa epoca.
November 10, 2009
Saw this one years ago on the french channel but never caught the name. Now some 20+ years later, Got a chance to see it. Very enjoyable.
October 21, 2009
This is a classic for me. Its the R - rated version of Happy Days that I always wanted!
September 4, 2009
can any one tell me where i can watch this movie online without any charges
?? plz
½ August 26, 2009
The grandfather of all teen comedies. Way superior than Porky's or any of its followers. The recipe that made this movie funny has made movies like "American Pie" and "Road Trip" hilarious today. If you have not gone back and watched this movie you certainly should. Many people may just watch it for Kelly Preston's boobs and bush but this movie is so much more than that.
½ August 17, 2009
One of the better teen films of the 80's, with 1950s nerd getting lessons on women from newcomer in town. Better the first time around than the fifth time. Good attention to period detail. This one cemented Kelly Preston as one of my favourites.
August 9, 2009
I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys coming-of-age movies. Brought back memories of when I were their age.
May 29, 2009
I actually feel this movie is far superior to PORKY'S!
March 20, 2009
sets you back in the 50's, travolta's wife ain't bad lookin neither
January 18, 2009
Classic comedy....truly a diamond in the rough. You'll laugh from start to finish!!
December 20, 2008
One of funniest movie growing up with.
October 30, 2008
I'm not sure why or how this was made, but it caught my interest when I was flipping channels.
shesdownbytheriver
October 17, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested
October 10, 2008
A CLASSIC ROMANCE COMEDY THAT ANYONE CAN ENJOY
September 23, 2008
This movie is a little ... but great !