Moulin Rouge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge Reviews

March 18, 2017
decent biopic of toulouse letrec and his paintings his loves and association with the world famous nightclub
February 3, 2017
This is QUITE different from the Luhrmann picture. Trades in the bombast and color for a depressing character study that moves slower than molasses. Like a lesser-Masterpiece Theatre outing, it's fairly corny and melodramatic; imagine "Amadeus" without the engaging performances, narrative depth and unique style. Some decent one-liners and a randomly odd ending can't brighten this bland oil painting.
½ April 15, 2016
Moulin Rouge is an incredible film. It is about the fictional account of French artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Jose Ferrer and Collette Marchand give amazing performances. John Huston did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and music. Moulin Rouge is a must see.
March 8, 2016
1952. How well I remember it! "Moulin Rouge" was the talk of my suburban town of Atherton, California, and the beautiful theme song was heard everywhere and became the top song of the year. Just hearing in brings back that golden time, but the movie, seen in 2016, does not seem all that inspired. The splotchy color and muddy photography are surely meant to emulate the work of the legendary painter, but they seem cheap and flashy surrounding the dull, predictable tale. Jose Ferrer was the ":serious" actor of the era, doing period and classic plays on film, He had won the Academy Award the year before for Cyrano, and here he was just doing his thing, overly made up and posturing. At one point, the artist compares himself to an ape, but Jose makes him a rather foolish and fussy ape, smartly dressed with too much black dye in his false beard. Zsa Zsa Gabor makes her appearance and is charming playing what turns out to be herself, as she will later demonstrate. The movie itself seems to be based n Latrec's famous posters, which is an odd if original way to structure a film. Interesting but hardly gripping.
March 8, 2016
A great cinematic classic. Not what you'd expect and far better.
April 22, 2015
50 years before the title would be forever synonymous with jukebox musicals and elephant trunks, Moulin Rouge was a Hollywood biopic, just as extravagant and only half as ridiculous. It recounted the tragic life of artist Toulouse-Lautrec. His luck, his women and his art. It colorfully brings his magnificent paintings to life in many of the joyous dance sequences, especially the one at the beginning of the picture. Sadly, It wasn't as equally riveting as a story. If you've seen many biopics over the years, prepare to be bored. It's as formulaic as it gets. One of John Huston's forgotten pictures, understandably.
September 2, 2014
Boring biopic that is almost unwatchable
April 8, 2014
This movie is like easing into a really hot bath. It is 100% over the top with Rocky Horror Picture Show type camp. If you like musicals and you have a taste for the purposeful exaggeration that camp brings then you've got it here. The beginning is insane but once you get past all of that the plot unfolds, it slows down, and it becomes engrossingly fascinating.
½ January 6, 2014
Ferrer has irritated me in other roles but he does well here in the original version of Moulin Rouge. It wasn't a Luhrmann triumphant production with visuals and music coming at you from ever which way but it is entertaining to whatch Toulouse Lautrec being seduced by Montmarte.
December 11, 2013
bio-pic bears no resemblence to the 2001 pic with same title
½ July 14, 2013
Liked this one more than I thought I would (I am a sucker for technicolor). John Huston directs the story well, and Jose Ferrer is wonderful in it. It is nice to see a young Zsa Zsa Gabor.
½ May 26, 2013
This movie is so good i love this movie omg its so sad at the end
February 19, 2013
One of my all time favorites. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman make this movie work. Fantastic music and dance numbers!!!
January 2, 2013
I dunno why, but I think this movie's awesome.
January 1, 2013
Beautifully shot and very moving. A very strong performance by Josà (C) Ferrer.
December 7, 2012
This was interesting! poor short guy tho!
December 2, 2012
"Moulin Rouge" tells the story of artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, a crippled man who only wanted to find love. Jose Ferrer's performance is stunning as the atmosphere of 1890's Paris comes to life. The special effects artists did a great job of turning this man of average stature into a convincing 4'6" character whose legs never properly grew. It was enjoyable to see Zsa Zsa Gabor as Jane Avril but for the most part, the film tends to drag on. All of the scenes in the Moulin Rouge are magic if you have ever had the opportunity to go for real and it is cool to see Lautrec's paintings come to life, but I'd much rather watch the modern musical with the same name if I am looking to be entertained.
November 30, 2012
Ewan's voice in this movie is just awesome! I absolutely love this movie.
½ November 10, 2012
Didn't like the movie!
November 6, 2012
i'm not big on musical's but this one rocks.