Moulin Rouge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge Reviews

½ September 18, 2011
from awfully banal first half to a somewhat good second. nice cinematography all around. oddly moving.
July 28, 2011
I couldn't find many complaints for this movie.
June 12, 2011
Very depressing based on a true story, but I liked it. I didn't like it nearly as much as the new one, but it was still really good. I wasn't sure whether or not this would be a musical like the other one, but it's not. I see where the new one got it's inspiration though with names and dances and what not. Basically it's about a hopelessly romantic self -deprecating cripple. I was shocked how rude people were to him, but I guess people were even more cruel back then. Very smart screenplay, good acting-(I liked Zsa Zsa Gabor the best) and I loved the showcase of his artwork-now I know the background behind those famous posters.
May 1, 2011
Fictional portrayal of the artist Toulouse-Lautrec. Very beautifully filmed, with a sad, unusual story.
March 16, 2011
great music, great love story
½ November 3, 2010
I'll admit I like the new Moulin Rouge movie better than this one. This movie is sort of a historical drama, but I'm not sure how true it is to history, it's a strange movie with strange characters. I didn't really care for it, but it's not that bad either.
October 31, 2010
Not Interested In This Film
October 21, 2010
The life of Toulouse-Lautrec pissed and synical in a perfectly realised 19th century Paris. Watch out for 'Murder She Wrote' as the lovely young slut.
August 10, 2010
I think it was a good movie, with great colorfull characters.
July 16, 2010
Perfection. Ewannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!
½ July 15, 2010
I saw this on cable at a hotel...
June 28, 2010
This film was an excellent way for the viewer to peer into the Parisian night-life. Although there were some conflicts in accuracy in this film, I still enjoyed it. Jose Ferrer takes a different approach in how Henri de Toulouse-Lautre is portrayed. Instead of being obnoxious and humorous, the Lautrec seen on screen is stoically emotionless. Rather than show the anger and sadness that envelops his life, he'd rather not convey anything at all, and that in itself shows strength of character. Other than the acting and subtle wit, I also enjoyed the color and costumes. But to really get something out of this film, I reccomend paying close attention to Lautrec and reading into what he tries to hide.
June 26, 2010
Though admired for his artistic talent, Lautrec cannot stop being his own worst enemy in this film. The poignant portrayal of Lautrec as a self hating, tortured figure by Jose Ferrer is, in my opinion, a powerful performance which made Lautrec's character sympathetic even as he drives him to self destruction through alcoholism and debauchery. My favorite line in the film which I felt gave tremendous insight into Lautrec's character was when Lautrec brings up the subject of Van Gogh and says something to the effect of, "I cannot paint his landscapes, but he cannot paint my city." To me this was Lautrec describing not only his own self worth in the face of adversity, but also the potential self worth of everyone, that it's our individual strengths and weaknesses that make us all unique and special. In this film, Lautrec is struggling to be a dignified freak in a time and place that is not known for being tolerant of freaks. So even though his portrayal of Lautrec is emotionless most of the time, I feel it is because he is angry and sad. And when anger and sadness are the only emotions you can express, it is often best to express nothing at all.

½ June 20, 2010
At last an answer to the age-old question: Why did Zsa Zsa Gabor ever get famous? Well- you set a movie in Paris, you need some pretty French chicks.

I walked into this movie thinking it was just going to be an early version of 2001 musical of the same name. Well, its not at all. John Huston has put together a beautiful and angry portrait of French painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec in the country's post-revolution decadance.

For his part, Huston has written and directed a dark nearly-sadistic love relationship between the crippled artist and a young prostitute (which of course is never expressly stated). A guy whose appearance leaves him rejected at every turn. A woman shows him an ounce of kindness and he turns it into possession. She, a fiery redhead, may not have ladylike poise, abut she has always known freedom. When she feels controlled, she gets cruel. Both José Ferrer and Colette Marchand play these roles excellently. Ferrer is expecially sterile and seemingly emotionless, but played against the plot of a guy hiding his emotions for fear of constant rejection, it's exactly what's called for.

As we move on in Toulouse's life, we see him gain wealth and fame and the affections of another woman. We see how the success of his art turns his streets into unlivable spectacles. His own emotional safety net ruining the chances that await him. And Huston has somehow made a film about the past seem ahead of its time. Maybe it's the whole European aspect, but this film feels much more 1968 than 1952.
May 27, 2010
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...........its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that claude nollier, colette marchand, jose ferrer, zsa zsa gabor, kylie minogue, suzanne flon play good roles/parts throughout this movie........i think that the director of this classics/drama/musical movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie................i think that this is a good classics movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie n its really enjoyable movie 2 watch
½ April 28, 2010
Enthralling. It seems I'm always drawn to the tale of an artist. Loved the main character. Would like to watch this again sometime soon.
½ April 18, 2010
the musical parts of it and some characters are a bit tacky, but it gives a impression of the impressionist/art noveau era...
April 7, 2010
A beautiful and moving film about the life of Toulouse-Lautrec. One of the best biopics I've seen.
March 20, 2010
I love it soooooooooooo much
March 3, 2010
diamonds are not every girls best friends... this one prefers opals.