Moving - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moving Reviews

May 9, 2016
Richard Pryor is hilarious
March 27, 2015
Seen it a couple of times, it seems to get funnier and funnier each time.
February 19, 2015
Richard Pryor makes a career turnaround in this hilarious comedy about.......moving, duh. Everything about this movie from its black comedy tone to its hurried ending works to its advantage.
November 10, 2014
Ok, I'll tell you what I like, Randy Quaid and of course Richard Pryor. But, what I hate, is both of them, in this movie! Also, the writing is so uneven I could merely drown in it. And most of all, they portray the involvement of human beings like their cartoons and all it does is remind me of characteristics I never want to have in myself or see in any people that call them self human beings. I did not feel this was good film, nor worthy of being called a satisfying comedy. Both thumbs way down, with high disappointment.
½ September 17, 2014
Outrageously hilarious. One of the finer Richard Pryor movies ever released and he had some of the greatest slapstick ever in his career in this movie.
August 15, 2014
Good film. And interesting as the rare case of a movie that was way ahead of its time in terms of trends in both cinema and television. As a direct result, 'Moving' has more in common with more recent indie films, or at least films of the 1990's. Don't expect straight comedy. Expect cleverly concealed social commentary.
½ May 22, 2013
A corny and pointless attempt at a comedy
April 21, 2013
Not a bad film at all.
½ February 22, 2013
Although not very happy things happen to the poor old Arno this comedy will keep a smile on your face throughout.
November 4, 2012
this movie is so funny. i almost fell of my couch laughing. i think casey could make anybody laugh
½ October 27, 2012
Genuinely funny at times - particularly the neighbor (Randy Quaid) and the unprofessional movers.
March 26, 2012
As complicated as Pryor was, you would think he would be capable of putting out better material. And I almost forgot how completely terrible Dana Carvey was - is he dead yet?
½ February 20, 2012
Horrible. A waste of Pryor.
December 20, 2011
For most of the '70's and '80's, no other comedian was as dangerous as Richard Pryor. His stand-up routines were incendiary, as was the work he did in films early in his career like "Blazing Saddles". Unfortunately, his choice in film roles and the film themselves would start to deteriorate, which brings us to "Moving".
This is a simple-minded picture, one with a plot that's so bland it might have made a good TV movie, or even the plot of a sitcom. It wallows in predictability, and the whole thing is more disappointing and sad than it is bad. The biggest let-down of all is Pryor himself, playing essentially the film's straight man who lets the colorful assortment of crazy supporting characters vie for all of the major laughs. There aren't a lot here to be found. The film is rated "R", but its star seems strangely subdued and under control playing a good-hearted family man. He is not well suited for that.
Even the ridiculous finale, in which he finally cuts loose, is forced and oddly unsatisfying. It's just not very funny and it feels very much like a sitcom as well. There are some laughs to be found here, precious few but they are there. Despite the occasional cussing, the picture just feels so nice. With Pryor in charge, it should have been anything but. None of the supporting performances are all that amusing either, but I did enjoy the all-too-brief cameo from Rodney Dangerfield. The movie could have used a whole lot more of him.
If "Moving" was the best they could do for the title, you can pretty much guess how generic the rest of this is. It's pleasant enough, but it's also bland and lightweight.
December 20, 2011
It's amazing to me that we actually liked movies in the 80s. I didn't remember this movie all that well, but re-watching it ... it's just stupid. But not in a charming way.
½ October 18, 2011
This was a great Richard Pryor movie with Randy Quaid as the crazy neighbor!!
May 17, 2011
Pretty terrible but Pryor manages to keep it watchable.
March 12, 2011
What an outrageous story of a family's move across the country, and Pryor is hilarious, as is the rest of the cast, which includes Randy Quaid and Dana Carvey! I highly recommend this movie, it's hilarious.
January 2, 2011
Richard Pryor plays Arlo Pear a man who loses his job and must relocate his family to Boise Idaho to start a new job. Things go from bad to worse with movers from hell a neighbour from hell a new job that may not exist and a multiple personality who is driving his prized Saab across the country. A great cast of supporting characters played by Randy Quaid, Dave Thomas, Dana Carvey, a small cameo from Rodney Dangerfield.