Mrs. Soffel Reviews

• Dec 27, 2015

I don't care for this movie at all. Diane Keaton is one of my favorite actresses but I prefer her in "Baby Boom" over "Mrs.Soffel" any day. If you love Diane Keaton watch "Baby Boom" not this crap.

• Feb 09, 2015

Underrated true story. Amazing that she did what she did.

Underrated true story. Amazing that she did what she did.

• Oct 05, 2013

Just saw this for the first time today. Keaton and Gibson are AHHHHMAZING!! They convey so many feelings so realistically, not the least of which is the passion the characters develop for each other. Did not expect to enjoy it as I did, but then, I knew not to expect Martin Riggs or some similar action hero joker. This was a straight dramatic performance by Gibson equally matched by Keaton.

• Jul 22, 2013

Really nice movie. I just watched it now, 19 years later.

Really nice movie. I just watched it now, 19 years later.

• Jun 28, 2013

handsomely mounted period piece, but can't shake off a certain air of good manners

• Jun 20, 2013

Interesting, yet pitiful to see the motivations of the characters that I did not identify with.

• Jun 17, 2013

Monday, June 17, 2013 (1984) Mrs. Soffel DRAMA/ SOCIAL COMMENTARY Starring Mel Gibson as Ed Biddle and Diane Keaton as Kate Soffel starring on a true story which happened in 1901 centering on those two characters unusual love affair. 'The Biddle Brothers' of Ed and his brother Jack (Mathew Modine)are sentenced to death because of a former criminal's testimony which this guy said that he saw the brothers shoot and kill a defenseless store clerk, except that these claims are made from a convict who already has a criminal record. And since out of the many robberies the Biddle Brothers had done together, their had never been a recorded incident where someone had been killed as a result of those robberies so it's more probable that it had never happened. Anyways, Mrs. Soffel is married to the warden of this particular prison where all she does is hand out bibles and blankets to all the inmates. At first she doesn't believe Ed (Gibson) when he told her that him and his brother are innocent in regarding a clerk's death, but as a result of putting one her daughters into bed, her daughter informs her as a result of saving newspaper clippings that it's more probable than impossible that 'the brothers' may be innocent. Ed then strike up an emotional attraction with Mrs. Soffel since she's not getting any from her impotent husband anymore which her marriage seems to be lifeless since they sleep in separate rooms and act like husband and wife in principle only. And it was during that time she of course does her best to prevent this death penalty to occur. Although, I liked both Mel Gibson and Diane Keaton's performances, the story structure is somewhat dull and predictable which the film is clearly arguing against the death penalty solely for this reason is that the accused may be innocent, but this message was mentioned like in the first half hour before it drags and prolongs the movie by showcasing the two characters of Keaton and Gibson being intimate with each another like what one can get from a Harlequin novel, and that is boring which forced me to use the fast forward button on many scenes while playing. 2 out of 4 stars

• Nov 12, 2012

This promised so much. But didn't hold my attention. Good cinematography though.

• Jun 05, 2011

A film that doesn't seem to have anything specifically wrong with it, yet still fails to leave much of an impression.

• Dec 28, 2009

Entertaining even if just a bit odd film. Stick with it though.

Entertaining even if just a bit odd film. Stick with it though.