The Mummy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mummy Reviews

October 19, 2017
It has production values and a Karloff perdormance to speak of, but its pacing and heavy attempts at melodramatic romance tend to spoil it.
October 2, 2017
I really enjoyed how this production looked on screen. Even though this is a black and white film, the use of lighting and camera angles was nice to see. Boris Karloff does alright in the role of the Mummy, but it is not as good as his work as Frankenstein's Monster. The story moves too quickly at times and is by far the weakest part of the entire film.
September 15, 2017
While The Mummy is very slow in narrative it levels up well with cinematography and a creepy performance from Boris Karloff
August 19, 2017
Though this isn't the strongest Boris Karloff led horror film from the 1930s due to slow pacing, not all that much in the way of horror and an unsatisfying ending however thanks to Karloff, solid production, an intriguing look into Ancient Egypt, an eerie mood and atmosphere along with a decent score and some solid makeup effects this is at least entertaining for the most part.
½ August 1, 2017
Can see it as a template for other movies and is watchable, but as a standalone horror film, it fails to scare or really enthrall the viewer; a classic that did not age well.
August 1, 2017
It is a classic monster movie because of its originality but it didn't age well and to a modern audience the film can seem quite dull.
June 9, 2017
Boris Karloff, one of the great horror actors of this era, is the one who truly made this a GREAT MOVIE!!!
June 5, 2017
Boris Karloff is the man. Or the Mummy, as it were.
June 5, 2017
When looking at classic monster-horror films, there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief needed. Not necessarily meaning that the films have no realism, but more so that the films are so dated in style and aesthetic that it becomes extremely difficult to understand how moviegoers were able to feel the scares of such a film. The Mummy is an interesting movie with the mythology it sets up, but lacks the thrills or lasting direction to catapult itself into the hall of fame of horror films. One thing this film does incredibly well is use Boris Karloff. Because the film is more of an atmospheric horror, it relies on particular creepy images rather than scaring with shock-horror, and no image is more creepy than a close up of Boris Karloff staring you down directly into the camera. He's a legend, and The Mummy is just one of many examples of that. Following along in the same sort of structure as films like Frankenstein, you can figure out the plot beats relatively easy, but that doesn't necessarily take away from the experience, though it certainly doesn't enhance it. Overall, this short take on The Mummy mythology is a fun one, even if it produces little to no scares whatsoever.

6.7/10
March 28, 2017
8 out of 10:

It may lack the thrills in the other monster movies, but The Mummy still has good acting and great sets.
December 24, 2016
One of the classic Universal horror movies, The Mummy rises above most horror movies of due to Boris Karloff's wonderfully sinister performance and an influential style that has been used in many of the most memorable modern horror films.
½ December 6, 2016
The film dated very badly, acting is outdated and superficial, except for Karloff of course. Opening scenes are awesome still and the scenes of ancient Egypt are enigmatic. Overall atmosphere is fine though. The screenplay is outstanding dealing with something unknown and very ancient. But I strongly thing that sound did bad for this movie. Had it been a silent movie it would only gain from it.
½ December 1, 2016
A fantastic story with intresting charecters, and fantastic acting. Boris Karloff does amazing at playing Imhotep! I have only one real complaint. This movie is called "The Mummy" but we hardly see Imhotep in mummy form. For 95% of the time he has all his flesh! They should've renamed this movie "Curse of Imhotep." Besides that I loved this movie, and its creepy Egyptian set up.
½ November 6, 2016
Not at all what I expected going in, I thoroughly enjoyed what we got a lot more than a standard monster movie. Boris Karloff is incredible.
October 14, 2016
Karloff shines in a performance that is every bit the equal of his Frankenstein role.
October 6, 2016
My favorite Universal monster movie of all time
Boris Karloff was amazing and really menacing as The Mummy.
October 2, 2016
Ok, everyone on the reviews and rotten tomatoes were saying this movie was the best mummy movie of all time. So i watched it to have my own opinion about the movie and i was sadly let down. This movie wasnt good. I was bored and i didnt find any of the characters interesting. I was hesitate from the beginining because i dont really watch movies that are in black& white, but since its october now i wanted to finally watch these universal monsters movie, and so far im not impressed. i think the mummy 1959 is far superior and also Brenden Frasier's version is better as well. That was the first mummy movie id ever seen and i loved it even still to this day. 1932 mummy sucks.
August 26, 2016
If only it was om blue ray 3D
½ June 28, 2016
Another Universal classic monster movie, although as a modern movie goer, you may find old movies a little long in general, but this one in perticular. It has it's good moments, but some moments are just horribly long. But in the end, you've at least watched a universaly known Universal monster movie. But the title is a bit misleading, cause with this one, you're waiting for a mummy that kills people, but it ain't that at all, it's almost more like a romantic film. The sets are some of the most beautiful I've seen in old films and it's just a good movie. Recommended !!