The Mummy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mummy Reviews

December 24, 2016
One of the classic Universal horror movies, The Mummy rises above most horror movies of due to Boris Karloff's wonderfully sinister performance and an influential style that has been used in many of the most memorable modern horror films.
½ December 6, 2016
The film dated very badly, acting is outdated and superficial, except for Karloff of course. Opening scenes are awesome still and the scenes of ancient Egypt are enigmatic. Overall atmosphere is fine though. The screenplay is outstanding dealing with something unknown and very ancient. But I strongly thing that sound did bad for this movie. Had it been a silent movie it would only gain from it.
½ December 1, 2016
A fantastic story with intresting charecters, and fantastic acting. Boris Karloff does amazing at playing Imhotep! I have only one real complaint. This movie is called "The Mummy" but we hardly see Imhotep in mummy form. For 95% of the time he has all his flesh! They should've renamed this movie "Curse of Imhotep." Besides that I loved this movie, and its creepy Egyptian set up.
½ November 6, 2016
Not at all what I expected going in, I thoroughly enjoyed what we got a lot more than a standard monster movie. Boris Karloff is incredible.
October 14, 2016
Karloff shines in a performance that is every bit the equal of his Frankenstein role.
October 6, 2016
My favorite Universal monster movie of all time
Boris Karloff was amazing and really menacing as The Mummy.
October 2, 2016
Ok, everyone on the reviews and rotten tomatoes were saying this movie was the best mummy movie of all time. So i watched it to have my own opinion about the movie and i was sadly let down. This movie wasnt good. I was bored and i didnt find any of the characters interesting. I was hesitate from the beginining because i dont really watch movies that are in black& white, but since its october now i wanted to finally watch these universal monsters movie, and so far im not impressed. i think the mummy 1959 is far superior and also Brenden Frasier's version is better as well. That was the first mummy movie id ever seen and i loved it even still to this day. 1932 mummy sucks.
August 26, 2016
If only it was om blue ray 3D
½ June 28, 2016
Another Universal classic monster movie, although as a modern movie goer, you may find old movies a little long in general, but this one in perticular. It has it's good moments, but some moments are just horribly long. But in the end, you've at least watched a universaly known Universal monster movie. But the title is a bit misleading, cause with this one, you're waiting for a mummy that kills people, but it ain't that at all, it's almost more like a romantic film. The sets are some of the most beautiful I've seen in old films and it's just a good movie. Recommended !!
February 22, 2016
I love the first act of this, and it's a really clever premise, but it really loses steam as it goes. Definitely worth watching, but doesn't entirely work
February 9, 2016
A pair of archaeologists are cataloging their findings in Egypt when they unwittingly resurrect the cursed mummy of Im-Ho-Tep (Boris Karloff). Working under the guise of Ardath Bey, this mystical creature hatches a scheme to use subterfuge and murder to win back the reincarnated soul of his ancient lover (Zita Johann). First-time director Karl Freund was the cinematographer on Dracula and, in addition to his expressionistic composition, The Mummy's parallels to its vampiric forebear include the use of several supporting cast members and some borrowed plot points. The Mummy is an unambitious little horror story, but strong direction buoyed the film to lasting success; the decades of Mummy remakes, spin-offs, and rip-offs are a testament to this movie's remarkable staying power.
January 4, 2016
How have I made it 31 years without watching this fantastic (and fantastical) creeper?! This might be my new favorite of the early Universal monster movies, competing only with THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Karloff acquits himself masterfully as a priest so obsessed with his former flame that he will stop at nothing to bring back his beloved from 3,700 years in the grave. This film has some great camera work for being such an early talkie, and I wish that Freund had had access to a steadicam. Maybe in the next life.
December 5, 2015
very disappointing so far the worst of the universal original horror monster movies
November 24, 2015
The original classic from Universal Pictures that starred the late great Boris Karloff, who delivers a mesmerizing performance that embodies the character perfectly as the cursed and mummified Egyptian priest Im-Ho-Tep, who was buried alive 3,700 years ago for the sacrilege of trying to restore his dead lover's life. He has now been resurrected by some foolish British archaeologists who open his sarcophagus, taking the form of an modern Egyptian he quickly begins his quest to resurrect the soul of his long lost love which he believe has been reincarnated in a modern women, well-played by very the appealing Zita Johann as the innocent subject on Karloff's obsession. Remarkable makeup by Hollywood legend Jack Pierce, who brilliantly transforms Karloff into the living dead. The noted German cinematographer Karl Kreund makes his impressive directorial debut with horror classic, he went on to win an Academy Award for his stunning cinematography for the 1937 film "The Good Earth." Credit must be given to the supporting cast for their superlatives performances they include Edward Van Sloan, Arthur Byron, Bramwell Fletcher, Noble Johnson, Katherine Byron, Eddie Kane, Tony Marlow, and James Crane. Crisp cinematography, fine production design, and a superb score. Director Freund brings a dream-like German Expressionistic atmosphere throughout this film, like the haunting and surreal close-up of Karloff's piercing hypnotic eyes and creased leathery face. "The Mummy" is one of the highlights of 1930's film-making, it was remade by the British Hammer Studios in 1959, with Sir Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Highly Recommended.
November 14, 2015
this movie was boring, the mummy only appears like 30 seconds at the begining of the movie, and then it re-appears as a regenerated person. something I did not like at all. the plot was boring etc
½ October 30, 2015
This is nearly forgotten today, in the wake of the Dracula/Frankenstein juggernaut. That's a shame as this is a quality, creepy love story. The shot of Karloff's eyes being bandaged over is still haunting. Also, one of the greatest movie posters ever designed.
October 28, 2015
Boris Karloff keeps proving that he's of of a kind, and the production value in this film it's just gold, making it the respected classic it deserves to be.
October 27, 2015
Possibly the best monster movie from Universal during the 1930s. Great story, acting, set design, and costumes. Oh, and the lead actress is like Drew Barrymore's doppleganger.
½ October 9, 2015
Atmospheric and exciting... and oddly romantic. I don't necessarily LOVE a sympathetic monster, but Karloff IS very watchable.
August 29, 2015
It's good but the '99 remake has more meat on its bones.