Mutiny on the Bounty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mutiny on the Bounty Reviews

½ May 2, 2013
If you can get over the brilliant lighting it remains a story well told.
½ April 27, 2013
In Which Brando Begins His Tahitian Adventures

I really do believe it's possible to make a good epic. I've even seen some. Oh, they're rare, but they exist. Indeed, I think most of them were from this era. The fifties and sixties were, as I see it, the golden era of the epic. Probably my all-time favourite came out in the same year, in fact. So what's the difference? Why do I love that one so much and think this one is so terrible? Well, there are a lot of reasons. Probably first and foremost is the fact that, not long after this movie started, I was editing in my head. The important factor in an epic as I see it is having an epic-length story to tell. There are other issues, naturally, and we'll get to some of them in a minute. However, it's generally the fact that if you find yourself checking the time during a movie, that is not a good sign about the quality of the movie, and just the first disc of this felt too long.

In this telling of the familiar story, Fletcher Christian (Brando) is a fop who also happens to be an officer of the Royal Navy. When he goes to his new posting on the [i]HMS Bounty[/i], a pair of fashionable women tag along to see what the ship looks like. Anyway, it's under the command of William Bligh (Trevor Howard). They are to sail to Tahiti, where they will take on a cargo of breadfruit cuttings to use to feed the slaves in His Majesty's colony in Jamaica. As is the general impression of the man, and we won't get into how unfair the whole thing is this time, Bligh turns out to be a rampaging tyrant, having the men flogged on the slightest provocation. Christian is concerned, and it's only after they leave Tahiti that he realizes that he's the men's only chance of survival. After a man dies from being keelhauled in shark-infested waters, Christian has had enough. He leads the men in a daring daytime mutiny, taking over the ship and setting Bligh and various of the others adrift in a small boat.

According to legend, Marlon Brando's weight was seesawing so much over the making of this film that he split the seats of fifty-two pairs of pants, finally ending in the costume department's giving up and using stretch fabric. He married Tarita, the Tahitian woman who played (if I remember correctly) Christian's Tahitian wife in the movie. Clearly, he fell in love with the island just as Fletcher Christian did, though Brando was also a bit more free to just move there, especially given that this movie didn't do very well at the box office. I will say, however, that I'm fine with the casting here. I've seen movies where I thought Marlon Brando did a fine job at acting (though I don't think this was one of them, and don't get me started on the accent), but I don't think I've ever heard a claim that he was a good person. He doesn't seem to have been crazed in the same way as Fletcher Christian, but he was still a loon.

So okay, what would I have trimmed? Fair question. Honestly, most of the Tahiti bits. The whole thing about how Bligh ordered Christian away from Maimiti and then ordered him to go after her again after the chief gets all offended that Christian isn't sexing up the chief's daughter. It's silly. The stuff about the growing cycle of the breadfruit tree is unnecessary. A lot of Christian's character development only goes to make me really dislike him, not understand his motivations any better. I have a hard time caring about why he shows interest in the lower-class men, given that he's an upper class fop himself. I don't need the scene of his first appearance on the ship with his pair of women. Of course, without them, we only have one real female character, but even with them, we don't have one well-developed female character. The whole thing about the botanist from Kew Gardens can go. Christian's claim that they're going to go back and clear their names is unbelievable and only makes things worse.

What I would really like is a telling of the story that really developed the characters properly. To be fair, I don't know what the deal was with the historical Fletcher Christian. I don't know as much about him. William Bligh is just more interesting, which I guess is just going to keep being a problem for me about these movies. I'd kind of like to see one where the mutiny is just prelude, one that really goes into detail about his amazing feat of seamanship. Or maybe about the other time he was accused of cruelty, where it turns out he was just trying to root out corruption. As it turns out, Bligh (eventually Admiral Bligh, though he never commanded a ship again) was in many ways a very cool guy. It's also worth noting that Trevor Howard didn't want to take the part, because he knew he was far too old for the role. While he is traditionally shown as an older man, he was actually younger than I am at the time all this took place. Honestly, I think that's more interesting, but no one ever shows it.
April 13, 2013
I enjoyed this remake of the 1935 version. The scenery is beautifully done. Film was a bit long and Marlon Brando was not that likable as Fletcher Christian, but he was good.
March 30, 2013
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) -- [6.0] -- Marlon Brando plays Fletcher Christian and Trevor Howard takes on the mantle of the sadistic Captain Bligh in this remake from director Lewis Milestone (All Quiet on the Western Front). The bloated run time (three hours) doesn't help the movie, and neither does a scarcity of closeups in the super-70mm framing. You never get into the minds of the leading characters and Brando is oddly uncharismatic as our hero. The ending is more protracted than the Cable/Laughton original film, milking the story for all the tragedy it is worth. I'm not sure which ending I prefer. Overall, a less-satisfying version of the story, but still good escapist fun boosted by exotic location photography and a brash romantic score by Bronislau Kaper.
March 10, 2013
The actors and casting makes Mutiny on the Bounty a bench mark with Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard and Richard Harris
½ November 3, 2012
Epic isn't the word for this 178 minute movie. Marlon Brando is brilliant as Fletcher Christian, as Trevor Howard is as Bligh. Colourful and ambitiously shot, this is a beautiful Roadshow epic, but it suffers from this in parts.

The music has a bombastic and yet low tone to it, leaving the audience with a sense of viewing a mature epic, and not just another MGM blockbuster.

Use of the wide angle 70mm lenses seem to prevent any real close ups and the film is almost epic for epic's sake. But it works well, and is entertaining. It is no Ben Hur and the 1984 version, "The Bounty" is still better in my view, but this is certainly the grandest voyage of the Bounty you're ever likely to see.
September 4, 2012
Great movie starts Marlon Brando as Fletcher, on a mission from england to negotiate with the locals of Tahiti for some breadfruit plants and other. What turns to be a very simple yet pleasure mission ends up being a hardship against his commanding officer Blight due to the mutiny that his was dealing to his own crew just to accomplish the mission. Are the lives of his men worth more than his mission? What are the costs?
August 12, 2012
Marlon Brando was magnificent in playing the suave debonair 2nd in command going to the rescue of the crew on the Bounty by going against the sadistic captain who gave limited water to his bread fruit plants than to his thirsty crew on deck. Scenes of a green hilly Tahiti took me back to scenes of the series 'Lost'.
½ June 26, 2012
Insufficient remake of the 1935 classic: this time, Marlon Brando portrays the hero Fletcher Christian, who is off on the infamous journey through to the South Indian Ocean. Trevor Howard plays the villainous Captain William Bligh, who dictates all orders and punishes those who do not respect him, including one poor John Mills (Richard Harris). It's in colour and has an okay score, but the acting does not compensate it, nor does its very long running time. Brando is generally considered to miscast as the title character (which was originally portrayed by Clark Gable), but I also did not like Trevor Howard that much either. Harris' performance is forgettable. Limp version of the famed story.
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
½ April 14, 2012
Updated version of the classic, still good with a different ending!
½ April 9, 2012
A great colorful exotic adventure starring Marlon Brando, Trevor Howard and Richard Harris.
January 21, 2012
Película correcta, quizá un poco larga, le sobra algo de la primera visita a Tahití, pero en general es una buena historia aunque con un final que te deja algo frío.
½ January 8, 2012
Brando's accent is weak, but his final scene is almost worth the epic length. Fantastic locales and cinematography. But not quite a classic .
January 7, 2012
Captain Bligh: "Now don't mistake me. I'm not advising cruelty or brutality with no purpose. My point is that cruelty with purpose is not cruelty - it's efficiency. Then a man will never disobey once he's watched his mate's backbone laid bare. He'll see the flesh jump, hear the whistle of the whip for the rest of his life."
½ November 17, 2011
The similarity of Brando's voice and Depp's, in several of his films, is uncanny. Brando's sarcastic, witty character makes an otherwise tediously long film into an amusing watch with a morale in the end...
½ August 28, 2011
i don't know the actual facts in this story - which is based on real events. but it was a pretty good telling of the story. brando does a really good job in his role - he makes you feel the conflict his character must have felt.
August 2, 2011
Looks like a pretty good film with an excellent cast and 2 different directors.