Mutiny on the Bounty Reviews

• Nov 10, 2019

I cannot understand how folks think this movie was bad. I cannot watch it enough times. I think Brando and Trevor Howard were excellent. I think also you need to have experience in the south pacific islands as well as spent time in the Navy as I have to appreciate this film.

• Feb 23, 2019

Spellbinding from beginning to end. Some reviewers are writing based on considerations other than what we see on screen, which is unfair to the film itself -- argue the other considerations outside of the review. Brando is less noticeable here than usual, plays his part well, but does not hog the spotlight. The action of the movie is central, and that's what always comes across. There's no need to gin up the audience as the protagonist does that immeasurably well by his own actions. Brando is better here than in all his 1950s films. This is a great movie.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best movie score ever composed!

The best movie score ever composed!

• Nov 18, 2018

Very good adaptation of the real life historical mutiny. Trevor Howard commands the screen as the overbearing Captain and Brando is an interesting Mr. Christian.

• Mar 03, 2018

The true star of this movie is cinemtographer Robert L. Surtees,, because you will never see a more beautifully filmed movie, obviously all the main cast had seen the original and tried t give their characterizations there own weight and flavor. If you want to see Gable,s brawny chest version of Christian and Laughton's maniac version of Bligh , well you know where to look. Brando plays Christian as an aristocrat who really is thrown into a situation in which he knows he is doomed no matter what he does, Bligh gives him nothing choice, it's either Mutiny or wat h the Bounty become a ship of death, but a Mutiny means disgrace to himself and his family back home. Many have criticized Brando's almost foppish portrayal, but he stays honest to it, both in mannerisms and tone. Christian has almost nothing in common with the crew but he is too honorable a man to sit back and watch them succumb to Bligh, a man without a shred of decency. Which is the point, Gable's Christian is a born hero, Brando's Christian has to make that choice. Howard plays Bligh with a calculating cruelty, he just doesn't care about the Men aboard the bounty, the men will not stand in the way of his ambitions. There are many differences between this version and the Gable version. Many like the earlier version better with Bligh portrayed as a complete maniac, I think many see the folly in that, obviously Gable will Mutiny with a Captain like that, who wouldn't, here there is a real choice to be made which is more thought provoking. There is also a much better characterization with the seamen themselves , officers and crew, it's not just black and white, good guys or bad, there is a shading here. This is one of those movies that gets better every time you see it, and if nothing else, one of the most beautiful films movies you will ever see. There is one shot, that happens right after intermission, where you marvel at the blue waters of the Pacific . Also it's cool that they built a complete replica of the Bounty for this film. In many ways this movie was way ahead of its time.

• Nov 20, 2017

Brando is a revelation as the foppish Fletcher Christian and Trevor Howard also gives a suitably stoic performance. I hadn't watched this for about 25 years and it has lost none of its dazzling beauty and thrilling impact. Very pleased to see the movie isn't as derided as it once was. A full scale replica of the Bounty was constructed for this film and apparently it was sunk in a hurricane a few years ago!

• Jun 01, 2017

Could watch it every day.

Could watch it every day.

• Sep 25, 2016

Though it didn't get great reviews when it was originally released partly due to the controversy of a troubled production, I ended-up really enjoying it. This is an epic film and looks fantastic on Blu-ray. Brando is great in it and Trevor Howard makes his character very easy to hate. It was also fun seeing a really young Richard Harris. I thoroughly enjoyed this and recommend it.

• Apr 16, 2016

Well I think Marlon did a good job! Against all the critics, I love this version although I prefer the original. Howard is always good but Brando is excellent and I don't care what the so-called experts say. I loved it.

• Feb 15, 2016

A weaker Mutiny On The Bounty effort than the 1935 original. The plot focuses on Marlon Brando in this version. As an aside, the production of this film in French Polynesia established Brando's attachment to the country in later years. He moved there and wed a Polynesian as well, as he transitioned to an anti-Hollywood establishment lifestyle.