My Man Godfrey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Man Godfrey Reviews

June 6, 2017
Classic Movie Goodness.
May 15, 2017
My Man Godfrey is the perfect marriage of screwball comedy and probing social commentary. Arguably (and in my opinion) the best screwball comedy of all time! Ditzy, golden-hearted heiress Irene(Lombard) chances upon Godfrey(Powell) as she and a group of society friends embark on a unique scavenger hunt across New York to find the most priceless treasure: "a forgotten man." The first person to return with "a forgotten man" receives the sincerest accolades of New York's upper echelon. Unbeknownst to Irene who adopts Godfrey as her pet project ( a protégé in training), Godfrey is not a pauper but an irascible prince of a guy who is disenchanted with the snobbish attitudes of the upper crust.

Rounding out the rag-tag band of uproarious characters is Irene's equally ditzy mother (Burke), long-suffering father (Pallette), and spoiled sister (Patrick). Irene's mother has her own protégé, a talentless windbag who mooches off the family. Set in the midst of The Great Depression, this film brilliantly highlights the plight of those in despair, and turns the subject on it's ear by satirizing elitist society and its vain, self-absorbed pageantry.

Eventually, after her million-and-one broken engagements and unable to attain Godfrey's attentions, Irene storms off to Europe. Meanwhile, Godfrey is setting in motion a plan for his redemption as a humanitarian. What ensues is glorious hilarity. In the end, Irene saddles her man and Godfrey tames his "little Irene" ,or does he?

A film that far outshines many of its predecessors and many of its progeny. Films including The Awful Truth, Sullivan's Travels, and Meet John Doe who tried to claim credit for the Depression-era screwball genre or allusion to the "forgotten men" really channeled this amazing gem directed by Gregory La Cava. The others pale in comparison: it is indeed the best of the genre and the top comedy of all time!

In addition, this 20th Century Screen Legends release features the best print of any currently available including Criterion. It also has a marvelously wonderful colorized version that is pristine and clear, which may attract younger audiences attention more raptly. This is definitely the definitive version of this timeless masterpiece!
April 25, 2017
Screwball comedy at its finest! A must see for lovers of classic rom com.
½ April 24, 2017
Screwball comedies were everywhere in the 30s and 40s and this is one of the best. Riches to Rags to Riches, former married couple William Powell and Carole Lombard have a crackling chemistry and the supporting performances are just as strong. Still funny 80 years after it's release.
February 15, 2017
Definitely was a film you have to watch all the way through to completely appreciate (as you should with all films). Mid way through this one, I really didn't have much interest, that was until the mystery behind Godfrey started to take the center stage and became really interesting. Once i finished the film I was a pretty big fan of it. Great acting all around and a great story.
January 25, 2017
The best part of My Man Godfrey is the comedic timing of William Powell, and the wacky exploits of the Bullock family. It's such a silly premise, that a rich socialite would hire a vagrant as her butler. But when the vagrant is played by the charming Powell, and the family is as insane as this one, suddenly the movie starts to make sense. There's so much charm coming from this movie. Mostly because it comes from a time when great comedy was about quality writing, instead of the standard sloppy improvisation and/or crass "jokes" we get nowadays. I love how they just throw away funny one-liners as if they didn't even say anything special. My only struggle with this movie is a strange turn that they make about halfway through with Powell's character. It took away from the plot of the film for me somewhat. It wasn't a deal-breaker, but I think My Man Godfrey could have done without that heaping helping of coincidence. Still, it's a quality film that I would recommend to fans of classic comedies.
January 8, 2017
With such a stellar script, sophisticated and hilarious dialogue, phenomenal humor as the movie consistently made me laugh and such outstanding performances from Alice Brady, Carole Lombard and William Powell, My Man Godfrey is an undisputed classic and one of the finest screwball comedies that is always funny and charming, yet smart and so polished technically too. It features characters that are all memorable, likable and funny and the film is almost flawless in execution and just brilliant.
½ December 19, 2016
A witty political satire that will probably leave you smiling more than laughing out loud, especially when showing the hilarious eccentricities of its crazy family, and it boasts some wonderful, Oscar-nominated performances by Powell, Lombard and Brady.
November 4, 2016
A wonderful timeless classic comedy that everybody should see. William Powell is superb as Godfrey in this moving tale of redemption. An outstanding movie all around. (First and only viewing - 11/7/2012)
½ October 20, 2016
A Depression-era screwballer, "My Man Godfrey" filled the screen with joy and laughter during a period when people needed it the most.
October 15, 2016
A surprisingly funny, witty comedy that doesn't shy away from the dark times of the Great Depression and is very innovative in the gender roles of the time, which is also surprising.
September 13, 2016
Great movie. Excellent William Powell.
Screwball comedy.
½ September 6, 2016
Witty screwball comedy, with William Powell's down-and-out Godfrey coming to serve as butler for a family of high society eccentrics, as the young, socialite daughter (Carole Lombard) falls for him. The leads have nice chemistry together in this satirical, Depression-era romp, but you don't really pull for their romance since Lombard's character is essentially a good-natured flake, and Powell seems mostly exasperated by her. Still, 'Godfrey' is breezy and charming.
½ August 16, 2016
Why aren't William Powell and Carol Lombard remembered as fondly as other stars of their time? You can't take your eyes off them onscreen. The wit of this script is astounding!
July 21, 2016
This movie is so beautifully executed. Funny and smart. Keeps you with a smile on the face all the way through
July 1, 2016
My Man Godfrey is one of those screw all comedies that's almost not a screwball comedy. The reason I say this is because it takes all of the tropes and conventions in a screwball comedy and plays with them to point where they're almost worn out. But in a good way. Each and every character in the film has a purpose, and the actors who play those character play them well. By the end of the film, each character has transformed to someone the audience can love. Bitter and hateful Cornelia is sweet and lovable. While Irene is utterly annoying throughout the film, she grows on the audience. The film, while it seems a little trite at first, ends up being fresh and original.
May 9, 2016
A perfect film. The best of the screwball comedies.
March 14, 2016
Loved this 1930'a Screwball Comedy, wish I had seen it sooner. Great writing and fantastic performances. It's really funny, I will certainly be watching it again. Check it out!
January 19, 2016
There's something delightful about the dysfunctional Bullock family. This is a light, tightly contained screwball of a comedy full of wonderful repartee and memorable performances. Ever the professionals, there's no denying the chemistry between Lombard and Powell. Perhaps the little gem of an insert into this movie was Carlo (played by Mischa Auer). I love how his perceived uselessness adds an extra layer of funny to each already ridiculously funny scene he's in.
November 23, 2015
This screwball comedy certainly had me laughing on numerous occasions. Although the ending comes on rather quickly, this classic film features a clever screenplay (which is so fast paced it is easy to miss some one-liners) and excellent performances (Brady is hilarious). AAN 1001