Neighbors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neighbors Reviews

June 8, 2016
Bizarre and very funny. Ackroyd and Bekushi perfect playing against type and the Tim Kazerinski character is laugh out loud funny/wierd in any of his shot appearance.
May 22, 2016
Freakin' hilarious! Belushi would only do it if he could play the 'straight man' role and Aykroyd the crazy man. It worked!
See it!
May 19, 2016
Dark, creepy and unfunny. Belushi and Aykroyd go through the entire movie acting as if they are sharing some private joke. I wonder if an audience ever laughed. I watched it alone and certainly didn't. Belushi had already begun an attempt to turn himself into a more conventional leading man, losing in the process whatever it was he had. His performance here seems lifeless, played mostly straight. A scene near the end where he goes through elaborate beauty routines while preparing for a date is embarrassing. The air of mystery is never explained. The plot s never resolbved. Other than that, it's great.
March 14, 2016
This is an overlooked John Belushi classic!
January 6, 2016
I can watch this movie a thousand times and still like it. The chemistry between John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd is classic.
July 30, 2015
A bizarre movie that has a refreshing origin to its comedic taste
July 25, 2015
Best comedy of all time! The neighbors come in to Earl Keese's life like some sort of twisted, tacky Mary Poppins and make everything better. See this while having takeout from a small spaghetti dealership next to the Singer Sewing Centre across from the Cinema Cineplex. And don't take it too seriously. The audience is intended to be the passenger.
July 5, 2015
I saw this back in 1981 and loved it, although truthfully, my 14 year old self is not always a reliable judge of quality. So I was hoping that despite this film's mediocre reputation, it might be a hidden gem. No, it's not really. Part of what I remembered about it is dead right. It creates a nightmare atmosphere and never really lets up. I like that about it. It's not particularly funny though. Ackroyd and Moriarty are good, but the material mostly lets them down. Belushi is okay, but playing a straight man role really constrains what he can do. I have never seen Tim Kazurinsky without wanting to kick him in the teeth.
½ June 11, 2015
Enjoyed it more than I was expecting.
May 24, 2015
Avildsen's odd attempt at satire and surrealism just fails from beginning to end.
½ April 10, 2015
John Belushi doesn't work for the Straight Man role vs Dan Akroyd as the Comedic Persona!
April 10, 2015
There may be something to the typecast mentality I have for these actors but I found this to be a flat,unfunny bore.
March 7, 2015
It's one of those weird 80s films you probably never heard of, and that's a shame because this one is a true classic. John Belushi truly delivers in his final film as an uptight middle aged man who reluctantly decides to cut loose. Dan Aykroyd is a co-star and is quite funny as well.
February 6, 2015
Good dialog, but kinda strange and it seemed like direction was lost towards the end. Semi-watchable just once...maybe twice for Belushi.
January 17, 2015
Pretty much laughed the whole time!
½ October 12, 2014
This comedys a little light on laughs Aykroyd and Belushi are cast in the wrong roles at least it gives a chance to see Belushi as the straight man,script is dark in places which lead me to believe it was going to be better but takes the moron road to cover its ass.
September 4, 2014
Amazing and undervalued flick. Check it out
July 20, 2014
An entertaining examination of growing up vs. growing old and how neither is necessarily the right thing to do. Ultimately it is Belushi and Aykroyd that make the picture work. Due to their perceived collaboration presence, "Neighbors" was in fact a "hit or miss" among critics and fans. The first hour of "Neighbors" is probably more fun than the second, if only because the plot developments come as a series of surprises. After a while, the bizarre logic of the movie becomes more predictable. The films genius is in the casting. Originally, Belushi and Aykroyd were supposed to play each others roles, Dan as the stuck up suburbanite with John as the crazy neighbor. I think the switch is what makes Neighbors unique and is a fitting testament to the actor's abilities of playing against type. Neighbors has a number of mildly surprising spurts of amusement, but as a whole, it still lacks a consistent vision at its core. Neighbors uses Belushi and Aykroyd to push the dark comedy motif into strange corners. Sadly, the best reason I can recommend it is to see Belushi giving his last ever role his all.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
½ July 15, 2014
Disappointing adaptation of Thomas Berger's bizarrely funny satirical novel casts John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd against type: Belushi is the stuffed-shirt suburban sad sack while Aykroyd is the unhinged party animal. Belushi and wife Kathryn Walker live a life of ennui on a seemingly abandoned cul-de-sac. Their lives have become completely stagnant, which is why they're thrilled to welcome their new neighbors: Aykroyd and wife Cathy Moriarty. Things quickly go off-kilter, however, when it becomes clear that these new people are evidently out of their minds. The film is terrifically strange and funny in its first half hour or so, but quickly runs out steam, with the laughs becoming more and more sporadic, until by the unconvincing conclusion we've all but lost interest. Director John G. Avildsen (best known for Rocky and The Karate Kid) approaches the material in appropriately warped fashion, but his kooky style can't breathe life into Larry Gelbart's lopsided script, leaving the actors with little to do but go through the motions of being 'madcap'. Nice try, but no prize for this one, guys. It's all the more unfortunate that this film fails, given that it represents Belushi's last acting role (and he does a surprisingly good job too). Worth a look, but it doesn't work.