The Nest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nest Reviews

November 20, 2017
Worked on this, My family supplied animals and, 10s of thousands, of cockroaches, for this film. It was a fun film to work on. Not so fun, catching and keeping track of, every roach, in every scene.
½ August 25, 2017
Voy a comenzar diciendo ya que The Nest...es mala. MUY Mala. No solo está cargada de topicazos del cine de terror ochentero, sino que las actuaciones son malas en su mayoría (Robert Lansing se come la pantalla con cada aparición, y es lo más salvable de la cinta), y tiene tan pocas cualidades a nivel plástico, que bien podría ser una TVMovie...

Ahora, eso sí. Siendo una creature feature de las que a mí me gusta, al menos podría esperar algunos momentos interesante de muertes y unos efectos practicos cuidados, y en general la película cumple con creces en este aspecto...especialmente en las últimas escenas. En realidad la mayoría de muertes son fuera de cámara, pero la cuando el climax se va acercando, el gore suba un par de decimas...y eso siempre es de agradecer.

Una pequeña película de culto que es interesante de ver.
October 13, 2016
Don't eat before you watch this, especially if you hate cockroaches so much...
½ January 10, 2016
Pretty fun little B-horror. The gross roach scenes are really effective, but that's probably not hard to do with roaches... The end was pretty abrupt and anticlimactic though...
½ December 11, 2015
So yeah. This is one of the most disgusting and disturbing films that I have ever seen. Didn't start off too graphic, then slowly got there. Ironically, it happened around the climax and ending. That usually doesn't happen.

The film is pretty nasty and follows in the same vein as other crazy films like The Blob and The Fly. There's only a handful creature feature slasher from the '80s. MGM saw a resurgence of newer generation kids finding their old films popular and as a result, the genre was brought forward to the modern day (well, the '80s at the time...). Some of them contain the charm and characteristics of the originals, others don't so much.

This film was pretty good, but the plot was kind of boring and I wasn't a fan of the pacing.
November 15, 2015
From the director of "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Ninja Quest" and the writer of "Cutthroat Island" comes this nature-gone-wild horror flick about giant killer cockroaches. Although the poster depicted a giant cockroach attacking a woman, most of the film is regular sized cockroaches attacking hapless victims in a science experiment gone wrong. Robert Lansing slums it here as the guy in charge of the experiments. Really, this film is just terrible and not even all that good in an ironic so-bad-it's-good way either. I was kind of hoping for a film with more of a Charles Band goofy low budget horror film tone to it. Instead, this film takes itself far too seriously. Not that low budget horror films with ridiculous premisses can't have a serious side (take a look at any number of excellent Larry Cohen films), but this film was just poorly made and I think I lay most of the fault at the feet of it's director for the lack of suspense or scares. And to be honest about the writer of this film, Robert King, He did go on to create one of the best shows currently on television, "The Good Wife." He was also one of the writers on the underrated action/adventure film "Vertical Limit."
October 1, 2015
believe me you never see the image on the poster happen once but the actual movie is pretty smart for a Roger Corman production involving killer cockroaches
the practical effects are disgusting even if you don't see a lot of the bugs
there are 2 cruel scenes in here that will get to you, certainly did me
not all the characters are memorable but the two romantic leads and the scientist make things pretty neat
a desire to make this town a boom in economy and recognition by scientific breakthrough pays a terrible price
a good timewaster of a flick
½ June 3, 2015
Ultra gory creeper that I'm sure will give nightmares to those who are afraid of roaches. The movie has many scenes that are influenced heavily from other films (like The Fly and The Thing), and while this movie isn't as good as those it is commendable the kind of job they were able to do on a small budget. The only real complaint is that it could have used a bigger cast to be killed off, as the town felt very, very small. Other than that it is pretty good for a killer bug movie.
July 7, 2014
An evil bug film that starts out slow, The Nest ultimately builds to some true nastiness and even surprisingly metamorphoses into a body horror film before the credits roll. Not a great film, The Nest will still probably delight fans of 80s horror looking for something gruesome they haven't seen before...
½ February 25, 2014
Over-sized roaches...and they're hungry--A really fun & enjoyable late 80's killer bug gore horror hoot!!
½ February 3, 2014
Jaunts of bloody violence and b movie glee make this otherwise inept (and downright bizarre) exercise in low budget film making tolerable.
January 17, 2014
A tiny island overrun with giant hungry roaches? Sign me up! Terri Treas from that old Alien Nation show? DEFINITELY sign me up.

Worth a rental for some fun cheese.
March 3, 2013
Decent B movie about killer cockroaches.
March 2, 2013
Typical 80s trite - bad acting, laughable dialogue, crooked mayor..... but there just isn't very much fun to be had in killer cockroaches.
½ February 24, 2013
When I first read about The Nest (having never heard of it before), the only thing that came to mind was the final segment of the original Creepshow, wherein the obsessive-compulsive Mr. Pratt is infested with roaches. And then there's that horrifying moment at the end when we find Mr. Pratt dead in his apartment and the roaches are gone, only to see hordes of them suddenly come bursting out of his chest cavity. So the question I was asking myself was "can The Nest live up to that kind of disgustingness?" Well, I can't honestly say yes. It goes more in line with the creepy crawly flicks of the late 70's and early 80's, and most from American International Pictures. Those movies are known for how unintentionally funny they are more than their skin-crawling capabilities. Like any of these kinds of movies, the bugs are the whole ballgame and the characters and situations are just the framework, and boy do they have bugs aplenty with this one. They're everywhere, and the plot involves the people trying to stop the bugs before a deadly gas is sprayed all over their island at dawn which could also kill everything else. It attempts to add a ticking clock element to the mix, even though it seems to be without any real consequence. The movie is also just as gory as it is funny. I laughed heartily when the roaches carried away the severed arm of an old man. You don't see shots like that too often. So I wouldn't describe The Nest as a horror masterpiece or anything, but it looks to be trying harder than it actually is and just winds up being mildly enjoyable, and not a very good movie.
½ December 21, 2011
This is a surprisingly well made low budget man versus nature picture. The filmmakers made good use of regular bugs to create tension and fear through the first 3/4 of the film only to hit you right in the face with the gory goodness and big nasties coming into the home stretch. Very surprising and very entertaining... if you like these kinds of films that is.
May 1, 2011
bugs get nasty. Thats it really. The acting is ok and fun to watch but the first part of this movie drags a wee bit. We have to just wait around for everyone to figure out what we already know. But in the third act it really kicks into gear and becomes a boat load of fun. The bugs get munching but the great bit is the sudden change in plot were they just decide to make the bugs mutate into stuff (a lot like the thing). These bits are good cheesey fun and the created monsters are a right laugh. The end battle in the nest is hilariously cheesey with the quite cool looking monster just been pushed around every now and again but essentially looking like an inanimate block. Adds to its charm thou. So if you dont mind a bit of cheese with your movie then this should be a pleasent viewing experience :)
½ February 18, 2011
One of the great and under-rated creature movies in 1980s, involving the carnivorous cockroaches. The end part is similar to the thing...
October 26, 2010
i found this dvd on ebay, out of print now. but a classic when i was a child.

in a small island off the coast of cali or new england who knows, a company was experimenting on genetics to control a species of cockroaches that would eat each other and not have to use pesticides to kill them. but of course, like every experimentation movie of the 80s shit hits the fan and the roaches start attacking humans. over the course of eating humans they have turned them into roach-human hybrids sorta like the monster from "the thing"

if you loved the cheesy 80's effects and gore youll love this.