Lo strano vizio della Signora Wardh (The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lo strano vizio della Signora Wardh (The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh) Reviews

½ October 28, 2015
Also known as Blade of the Ripper in the USA, this first time giallo from Sergio Martino is filled with nudity and double crosses. But I felt it wasn't very good. I got confused with the plot, the acting was subpar, and the kill scenes were messy and fake looking, especially the midpoint attack. The plot is cheesy, and the only thing I liked was the haunting musical theme that gets over-used by the film's end. I do not consider this among the best of the giallo genre.
December 7, 2014
Not as flashy as other giallo movies, but there's some great moments and Edwige Feneche absolutely smoulders off the screen - one of the most beautiful women I have ever laid eyes on
February 22, 2014
Italian masterpiece for those who appreciate art in general...
Francisco G.
½ October 16, 2013
Giallo at it's best, The Strange Vice of Mrs. Ward is a lovely mess, with plenty of style over substance. There's a killer, a woman with kinky fetishes, a shit ton of lovers and one of them is the killer. The story is a disjointed mess but each segment flows at a really good pace, featuring some inventive scenes here and there. There's always something new to enjoy and appreciate at each turn and that's where the success of this one resides.
June 8, 2012
Let it be known, that Sergio Martino, might very well be the best at what he does. What he does is, make low budget sleaze fests, masterpieces. The man can masterfully direct and visually stun you all at once, and on top of that, give you some of the best cinematic eye candy (Fenech) you'll ever see. I've been wondering if Torso would ever be matched as my favorite Martino flick, well The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh did more than that, it topped it. This is what most b-movies strive to be, Martino was a very talented director and I give the man major props.

Now, The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh, stars the very beautiful Edwige Fenech. If you're not familar with Edwige Fenech, you can start here. This is by far the best movie I've seen her in, though The Case of The Bloody Iris is a masterpiece in it's own right. The movie plays out like most giallo's do but here it's on a grander scale. The cast is great here, Fenech is stunning in every frame she's in. Ivan Rassimov plays his typical role but I like him best in this film, he has maybe the deadliest glance in cinematic history. He definitely gives Lee Van Cleef, a run for his money.

George Hilton is terrific here as well, I mean the whole movie has great performances. Even in the minor roles, now the twist I saw coming but that's only because this movie has obviously been ripped off tons of times. It's very famous giallo film, after seeing it I can see why. I would also like it to be known that I bought the Mya release of this film. People complain about them changing the name of the title (Blade of The Ripper) plus no special features.

Well, if your just interested in the film only, it's a good release in my opinion. The transfer is just fine and I heard it's just like the No Shame release. The No Shame release will run you $80 on amazon, and Mya release will run you around $17. In others words the No Shame version is out of print, I didn't wanna folk over that kind of cash, so I went cheaper. Glad I did because I can't praise the film enough, I was very doubtful but it's an amazing work of art. Highly recommended of course, so do yourself a favor and seek it out!
May 22, 2011
Pretty typical giallo. The highlight being the hauntingly atmospheric score as well as the precursory reference to one of the greatest movie titles ever -
"Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key."
April 24, 2011
70's Italian Cult classic. Cult is always cult. A story where husband, ex-lover and present lover everybody would be a possible serial killer maniac ! Really creative !
½ April 14, 2011
Wow! This one really moves, from the very beginning we are assaulted with seeming misogynist activity involving nakedness and blood. With barely time to breath we are drawn into a fast moving and shocking tale involving a knife slashing serial killer and the beautiful Edwige Fenech's real, imagined or remembered images of violent rape culminated in ecstatic sex. Heady stuff indeed and if that all were not enough Edwige seems unable to keep any clothes on for at least the first half hour. Things calm down a little for a while as we admire the fantastic set design and score at one moment threatening at another sweet and seductive and in accompaniment to the vicious rape scenes almost religious. We struggle to work out just who is killing who as the film turns into a thriller before the wonderful and exciting last part where the twists and turns are for once surprising and a joy to behold. Excellent. Not much finesse but everything else
March 9, 2011
A l'époque où le giallo se portait bien on avait droit à des perles, des ersatz et de vrais navets !! "The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh" se classe facilement dans la catégorie des perles, de par son style, son héroïne beaucoup plus complexe qu'il n'y paraît et une intrigue abracadabrantesque je suis d'accord mais c'est quand même bien fait !!

Julie Wardh est rangée, mariée à un homme d'affaire tout ce qu'il y a de plus carré, Neil, ce qui la change de sa précédente relation : Jean, un homme qui faisait ressortir ce qu'il y avait de plus déviant en elle, sa fascination pour le sang durant l'acte amoureux, une relation SM loin derrière elle, mais ça ne veut pas dire qu'elle a tout oubliée. En voyage en Autriche avec son mari, Julie Wardh va revivre son troublant passé parce que Jean ne la lâche pas et en plus un tueur en série sévit dans le pays !

Comme je le disais, l'héroïne n'est pas parfaite mais plus l'intrigue avance et plus on se rend compte que son entourage est encore moins parfait qu'elle, un mélange de faux semblants, de tromperie et de machination sont dénoué dans un acte final renversant ! Evidemment, on ne peut parler de ce film sans parler de son actrice principale, Edwig Fenech qui bouffe l'écran comme à chaque fois, que le film soit bon ou pas !! Heureusement ici, c'est un plutôt bon film ! Un scénario à tiroir, des femmes superbes, et pour le public féminin, le quota de beau gosse ténébreux tient ses promesses ! Un bon giallo à la hauteur de sa réputation !
December 22, 2010
Un cult! Non chiedetemi come sono finito a vedere questo film. In realtà poteva essere un gran bel giallo con risvolti quasi geniali, ma i 40 anni di anzianità, l'esagerata presenza della NON attrice Fenech lo rendono un mix tra lo stile di "Milano spara la polizia risponde" e "Quel gran pezzo dell'Ubalda tutta nuda e tutta calda"
September 18, 2010
Excellent Giallo. Typical Martino, with its dreamike and inventive shots and haunting score. Edwige Fenech again shows she is the queen of Giallo with her no holds barred performance.
½ August 14, 2010
rewatched it again. very well-made giallo, that's a bit sick at times (but hey, the 70s were just a little more liberal I guess), but very stylish and atmospheric. a pivotal entry in the genre
½ July 20, 2010
Some suspenseful set-pieces and a Martino's strong eye for detail are marred by an outlandish plot (even by Giallo standards).
July 6, 2010
oh and what a strange vice it is.. :) a fantastic sleazy italian giallo thats right up my street..oh and edwige is gorgeous
½ April 14, 2010
Perfect giallo movie. Edwige Fenech is beautiful, we have the mysterious black-gloved killer, and seedy parties. A little convoluted at times, but what does that matter in a movie like this.
February 12, 2010
even Conchita Airoldi is upstaged by the magnetic painful beauty of Edwige Fenech - classic giallo, set in Vienna and a still-Francoist Sitges, which explores unusually brave themes regarding female sexuality; Nora Orlandi, a Morricone cohort, provides a memorable, at times experimental, soundtrack to the proceedings
½ October 23, 2009
'The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh' is an essential viewing for any giallo fan. The acting, sets and settings, plot, and twists are all very well done.
½ August 3, 2009
top giallo by maestro sergio martino.
April 19, 2009
Another Giallo I just couldn't get in to.

Does have some great shots though and Edwige Fenech is smoking hot.

Plus the ending is pretty good.
April 4, 2009
This seemed a cross between Hitchcock and Argento, with a lot more nudity. The plot seemed almost an excuse for some haunting images and display of impeccable style. Also the soundtrack sounded seductive and evocative. My favourite of Sergio Martino's.