Night and Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night and Day Reviews

½ June 15, 2016
I can assure you the pleasure is all yours.

Cole Porter is a Yale graduate composer who initially struggles to get on his feet, and finds true love during his struggles; but when his career takes off, it takes off with a bang and leads to him leaving true love by the wayside. Cole will need to make some tough decisions, and if he makes the wrong ones, may regret his direction in life.

"All you have to do is be amusing and don't say a word."

Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, We're No Angels, Mildred Pierce, Yankee Doodle Dandee, Santa Fe, and The Sea Wolf, delivers Night and Day. The storyline for this picture is excellent and very well told. The settings, story, and acting were all perfect. The cast includes Cary Grant, Alexis Smith, Monty Woolley, Jane Wyman, and Eve Arden.

"What's wrong with him?"
"He probably wants to be alone. Haven't you ever wanted to be alone?"
"Yeah...but with somebody."

I randomly came across this Curtiz/Grant collaboration and had to DVR it. This was a brilliant picture and a very underrated addition to the genre. I loved the evolution of Grant's character and the pace of the film is perfect (as is the conclusion). I strongly recommend seeing this picture.

"Don't forget to share him for Christmas."

Grade: A-
October 24, 2015
Warner Bros. 'biography' of composer Cole Porter is a missed opportunity, with a miscast Cary Grant as Porter and big-band singer Ginny Simms as a sort-of everywoman who seems to have performed every Cole Porter song ever written; the highlight is Mary Martin recreating her Broadway performance of "My Heart Belongs to Daddy."
February 28, 2015
admittedly, I'm no musical guy, but I still enjoyed it.
½ January 16, 2015
This film was fantastic from start to finish....
December 3, 2014
What was interesting to see was the way Porter's homosexuality was handled. No, it wasn't ignored. Rather, it was reflected by MIchael Curtiz, the director, through Grant's diffidence toward Alexis Smith and every other woman in the film. In fact, there are hints throughout the film: a young thing telling Grant/Porter that "he never shows interest in her, the way the other guys do"; his pecks on Smith's cheek; Smith complaining that "we haven't really been alone in our marriage". I could go on. One reviewer here referenced Grant's "stiffness". Well, what that reviewer way was great direction: Porter's indifference to women; Grant treats them all as sisters in this film.
½ April 11, 2013
Night and Day is an excellent film. It is the fictionalized biography of composer Cole Porter from his days at Yale in the 1910s through the height of his success to the 1940s. Cary Grant and John Alvin give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of music and drama. Night and Day is a must see.
December 2, 2012
Rather humdrum biopic. They probably should have told more the tale of Porter's "world" rather than his life, and that might have been more interesting. They wanted to highlight the songs anyway.
½ October 7, 2012
Carey Grant seems to almost have his skills handicapped in this movie. The usal charm just does not shine through and the extremely fabricated story disjointed and shall we say straightened out a little to much.
October 7, 2012
good technicolor bio-pic
½ June 23, 2012
Dull, and inaccurate. Ostensibly a biography on Cole Porter, it is mostly fiction, presenting a very sanitised movie-for-the-masses image of Porter. Cole Porter was very much alive at the time the movie was made, so maybe the producers dared not depict him in any way that might diminish or change his image with fans and moviegoers. In addition, maybe not all the details of his private life were known at the time...

Direction is pretty much paint-by-number. Michael Curtiz is one of Hollywood's most under-rated directors, having given us masterpieces such as Casablanca and Mildred Pierce, yet here he looks positively average.

Performances are pretty flat. Even Cary Grant just seems to be going through the motions. Alexis Smith does her best to breathe life into the proceedings, but its a futile task.

Not worth seeing as a drama, and certainly not as a documentary.

De-Lovely (2004) is a much more accurate depiction of the private life of Cole Porter, though also struggles to inject any energy or interest.
April 20, 2012
Typical Hollywood hard sell designed to keep you from thinking too long on the fact that you're actually getting very little. So there's oodles of scantily clad dancing girls in Technicolor (in typically extravagant, over-the-top MGM Busby Berkely inspired dance numbers - which ain't bad at all = one star), lotsa close-ups of Grant (one star), and of course those unforgettable Porter songs (the only real reason to see this), used even as background music when not being used as centerpieces (one star). Its very, very shiny, but that's all.
March 26, 2011
This is a fim that stars Cary Grant playing the part of famous musical composer Cole Porter. The film is part biography of his life and part musical. The film is full of musical and dance numbers. While the other half of the film shows us the life of this famous composer. The film apparently does not hold true to Cole Porter's life and is fictionalized in most of this. Still the film is entertaining and Cary Grant is excellent as always in his films. If your a Cary Grant fan or just enjoy a good musical film then check this out.
January 18, 2011
taking a break from reading----Cole Porter ---Night and Day the movie with Cary Grant
October 23, 2010
Grant plays Cole Porter in this biography of his life. It features many of his hit songs too. If you're a fan of either Grant or Porter, you will enjoy this movie.
September 10, 2010
If you like Cole Porter, it's worth a watch but ... not something you need to watch more than once. Some of the performances were really strange but ... whatever. It was also wildly inaccurate, I guess. Makes sense though considering Porter's life.
August 17, 2010
Bleh. Fails to check either of the two essentials for a biopic - Interesting main character, and interesting story. I'm sure the truth of Cole Porter's life is much more interesting - this is just an excuse to whack a bunch of his tunes into a film and put bums on seats that way. The actors do what they can with the material, as does Curtiz, but it's overlong and just plain boring. Monty Woolley injects some life into proceedings though... playing himself.
June 26, 2010
Unfortunately nothing grabs you in this. The singers all leave to be desired and the acting is flat, even Cary Grant seems stifled somehow.
June 21, 2010
Stel och ganska oinspirerad biopic om Cole Porter, som är så uppenbart påhittad att Cary Grant har svårt att hitta tonen ens under Michael Curtiz regi. Ginny Simms piggar upp en del av musiknummren, men mestadels går det på tomgång.
December 10, 2009
Highly fictionalized biography of Cole Porter, with the curious miscasting of Cary Grant in the lead. Alexis Smith is fine as his love interest. It obviously ignores the fact Porter was gay. The recent film De Lovely is also a biography of Porter, it is more accurate and does explore the gay aspect, but Night and Day is still more entertaining.
September 1, 2009
Night and Day (1946) -- [4.0] -- This is a heavily fictionalized bastardization of Cole Porter's life story. But even if it were a more accurate portrayal, the narrative is too shallow to invest in, scattered thin through a parade of about twenty musical numbers. If you really like Porter's music, there are some grand arrangements ("Night and Day" and "Begin the Beguine" are done well). Otherwise, don't bother.