Night and Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night and Day Reviews

½ July 3, 2009
Cary Grant plays Cole Porter in this biopic about his life.

Way too much fiction in this movie in my opinion to be called biographical with lots of embellishments. But I understand of course that I can be really hard to make a biopic of such a famous person as Cole Porter, who was still living while this movie was made so it was probably more appropriate then to make a movie about how he himself (Cole Porter) would like his life to appear, then to make a more veracious drama.

In the beginning of the movie Mr. Porter tells his mother that he doesn´t want to be a lawyer but a musician, and then all through the movie he composes and writes songs on the piano for his wife whom he loves so much.

One of the most interesting thing is that they completely ignore the fact that Cole Porter was a homosexual (yet married!), but of course that would be too controversial in a movie from the 1940s.

A biopic can certainly be good even though it contains great inaccuracies (most biopics actually do), but why I chose to rate this movie 5 out of 10 is because the whole story lacks motivation and doesn´t quite make you more interested in the person Cole Porter unless you already are, and that´s what I think is a point with biopics, to get more interested in the mainperson.

No, it´s about time they make a new biopic about Cole Porter, which includes his life, his music, and how hard it must have been for him being homosexual during a time when society had even more intolerance for it then today.

Despite good actors; Cary Grant, Alexis Smith, Jane Wyman, Eve Arden, among others and the legendary director Michael Curtiz, and despite the nice Cole Porter songs, this is a dull movie.
½ June 28, 2009
Nice but probably mostly fictional musical biopic of Cole Porter's life starring Cary Grant.
½ June 8, 2009
A great musical from Warners, all star cast with Cary Grant as Cole Porter and Alexis Smith as his wife Linda. The music was great but the film was squeaky clean and again, it took a lot of liberties with what really happened. But who cares? The movie was just one big enjoyable musical.
½ March 15, 2009
I love the films that explore the life of musicians and composers because they're always chock full of awesome music, and this is no exception. Loved it.
½ March 9, 2009
I always liked this movie about the life of Cole Porter But have come to learn that there is little Truth to it.
½ February 14, 2009
Alla likheter med Cole Porters liv verkar vara en ren slump, vilket trots allt är en brist i en film som utger sig för att vara en biografi. Hjälpligt underhållande, dock.
January 20, 2009
Not my favorite. Some times I just ADORED IT (especially when Cary sang! Why wasnt he in more musicals? He's not as bad as Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls... [sorry Brando!], he's not GOOD, but certainly not bad! He makes up for it in charm and charisma). De-Lovely was better... but all the singers in this one were a MUCH greater choice-- the new ones are so current sounding... eck. And De-Lovely was more faithful to his real life... but they couldnt say those type of things in this movie! Grant, as always, was great. I think this may be the earliest colour film with Cary in it... where his skin isn't so dark and he's not as old.
November 25, 2008
How it pains me to hit Cary this hard, but this movie was pretty bad- NOT a bio at all(but were any of this era ever true to life?) and the songs don't salvage anything. Everyone tries but it just doesn't pass. Woolley gets the star for actually amusing me in this one.
October 7, 2008
Michael Curtiz directs Cary Grant playing the great Cole Porter, To say it takes liberties with Porter's life-story is an understatement (it ignores Porter's bisexuality), so just take it as a nice little old time Hollywood movie.
June 20, 2008
Wonderful, even if entirely fictitious, and then some.
June 2, 2008

March 18, 2008
Worth a look for the supporting cast and the music alone. As a story it is far too sanitised to be much good and it's most definitely not a factual account of Cole Porter's life.
½ March 17, 2008
An entertaining but completely inaccurate biopic of Cole Porter, "Night and Day" is really a showcase for Porter's magnificient songs.

Although I'm a fan of Porter, I've often wondered why on Earth Hollywood wanted to do a movie on him at this time. Porter was a homosexual (a no-no back then), he preferred Broadway to Hollywood, and his lyrics were often censored. Indeed, this movie borders fiction as so much of it is a fabrication.

For fans of Cary Grant, Alexis Smith or Cole Porter's songs, I'd recommend "Night and Day". For those who want a factual biography on Porter, stay away.
½ February 29, 2008
Kind of hard to make a movie about the life of a famous gay songwriter when it's the 40's and gay people "don't exist". Not very accurate historically. I love Grant but he was a poor choice to play Cole Porter. Watch De-Lovely with Kevin Kline, it's much better.
February 4, 2008
I haven't yet seen "De-Lovely," but I hear it is much more true to his life story than this film. However, I find this film fantastically colorful and enjoyable. Also, Estelle Sloan's tap number was immensely well-done.
½ February 4, 2008
They left out all of the gay stuff.
January 24, 2008
Definitely not my favorite Cary Grant film; this just isn't his style.
January 10, 2008
It's decent. It doesn't tell the truth about Cole Porter, but the music is top notch.
½ December 22, 2007
Worthwhile just to see Mary Martin.
December 12, 2007
Much more appealing than DeLovely. Maybe people say the story is not as accurate, but all the better for it. I like grant's cole porter much better than klein's cole porter. IF he was gay, let's ignore it. let's pretend he was a good guy and fell for alexis smith! Good flick, good fun, fantastic music!