Night Visitor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night Visitor Reviews

½ February 13, 2017
I've always been fascinated looking back at the 1980s satanic panic (you know, when parents were terrified that heavy metal, video games, and secret satanic cults were secretly going to convert, sacrifice, or enslave their children). Of course there really were no such secret cults, but this film is a fun cornball time capsule that plays off of those fears. When a prostitute (Shannon Tweed) moves next door to our teen hero, he witnesses her being killed in a satanic ritual and discovers that his balding uptight high school history teacher is really a satanic worshiper, along with his brother Michael J. Pollard. For a poorly made and very low budget film, there's a surprisingly good cast that includes not just Tweed and Pollard, but also Henry Gibson, Richard Roundtree, and Elliott Gould. There is also a hilariously bad ripoff musical score of "The Omen," the lamest satanic rituals you've ever seen, and even Michael J. Pollard attacking folks with a chainsaw in the "thrilling" climax. Overall, this is a pretty terrible zero-star film, but for fans of cheesy horror or satanic panic lore, this one is a hoot!
½ October 11, 2013
Thursday, October 10, 2013

(1989) Night Visitor
HORROR

Unconvincing variation of the 'boy who cried wolf' starring Derek Rydall as Billy Colton who has a habit of being a fibber. And coincidently witnesses a murder of his next door neighbor done by his history teacher Mr. Willard(Allen Garfield)who practices satanic rituals for his abnormal younger brother, and solely kills mostly prostitutes. And of course, no one believes him including the police headed by Captain Crane played by Richard Roundtree.

It has splashes of "Body Double" in here, as well as some recognizable co- appearances such as Elliot Gould and low budget film actress Shannon Tweed. Although, the film has to dumbed down proper police procedure since they're supposed to check up on every possible lead if a serial killer is on the loose, one also have to ignore the fact that DNA is for some reason is not optional for some reason.

Bomb
½ September 3, 2012
This is a odd if unique bleed of teen comedy, horror and thriller. Most of the time, it works thanks to good performances by Rydall, Garfield, Pollard and Gould. The premise is a good one. Director Hitzig has a strange style to this movie, it is done with good humour and campy style. It reminded me of "Rear Window" and "Disturbia". A forgotten movie from the late 1980's. Which it doesn't take itself seriously and it is done all in good fun. Only towards the end, the picture turns into a mess a little bit. Tweed has some good moments as Rydall's pretty neighbor.
½ April 25, 2011
I fell asleep towards the end but I didn't miss much. As soon as I realized Shannon Tweed was in The Night Visitor I knew exactly what kind of movie I was in for, a not so great one. Seeing Richard Roundtree as a cop made me wish I was watching Q: The Winged Serpent instead.
February 24, 2011
A blend of Nightmare On Elm Street meets 80's teen comedy. Elliott Gould and Shannon Tweed were good in some of their scenes. Otherwise nothing too memorable here.
December 22, 2009
Not a bad 80s retelling of the boy who cried wolf, with a teenager substituted for the boy, and satanists substituted for the wolf and a hooker thrown in for good measure.

A sort of a combination 80s teen romp and a suspense thriller, it's not a bad meshing of the two as far as bad 80s films go. The lead male teenage character is refreshingly multi-dimensional compared to most male teen leads at the time. He has a cute female friend who, not only does he realize is cute, but he also actually likes her and wants to ask her out. Who'd have thought an 80s teenager in a movie could ever be so perceptive?

If you're a fan of 80s movies in general, and the suspense or horror genre, this wouldn't be a bad pick for a bad movie night.
October 29, 2009
Shannon Tweed and Michael Pollard are the only reasons I watched this movie. It sucks cause Tweed is killed off at the beginning. This is 94 minutes of my life I will never get back.
October 18, 2009
Cheezy 80s Satan worshippers horror flick
½ December 29, 2007
Absolutely awful 80s satanic flick.
September 28, 2006