Notorious Reviews

• Jan 31, 2020

Notorious is one of the most boring and disappointing Hitchcock movies I've ever seen. The cast wasn't charismatic and the story was not pertinent or original to justify all this movie runtime. It was a waste of time.

• Jan 20, 2020

One of the very few Hitchcock movies that just didn't sit right with me. It seemed too put on and the pace as slow. It quite disappointed me.

• Margrit
    Dec 21, 2019

This is one of my most favourite movies, I liked the love scenes between Cary & Ingrid, were not over done, very cool. The wine cellar scene was quite tense, when Cary & Ingrid are found tampering trying to find out, what substance it is in the wine bottles. . Then ingrid is kind of uinder lock and key when they realize she is an american spy. i also thought the music was very good at tense times. and Ingrid has to listen hard ti find out any details that can lead to exactly what this group of spies are up, I thought it was a great movie. Plus who wouldnt get carried away with Cary Grant such a hansome hunk

• Nov 02, 2019

Alfred Hitchcock infixed in generations of cinephiles masterful suspense with reminiscences of the crane-mounted camera swooping in the air to a close-up of a key in the hand of female protagonist, the giant coffee cup in the foreground and the MacGuffin of uranium stashed in wine bottles in this espionage romance involving an American secret service and the daughter of a Nazi spy.

• Aug 19, 2019

Suspenseful! After the quite intriguing film Spellbound, Hitchcock follows up with a much superior film. Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman give good performances as an American agent and informer, respectively. Claude Rains gives a superb performance throughout the film which is especially exemplified by the final scene. He was deservedly nominated for an Oscar for his performance. The pacing, which is a bit slow in the beginning, picks up in the second half of the film. The script is nicely concise (also deservedly nominated for an Oscar). Overall the film is a suspenseful, unnerving and sometimes quite witty film.

• Apr 30, 2019

Intensive,fascinating and interesting

Intensive,fascinating and interesting

• Jan 25, 2019

a great classic! cary grant and Ingrid bergman at their best. the movie pulls you into every scene and at the end you feel like you are there with them, in peril and distress, a Hitchcock masterpiece surely to watched many times.

• Jan 22, 2019

A suspenseful espionage thriller. Notorious (1946) is Alfred Hitchcock at his slow burn paced noir style with a fascinating espionage story. The beautiful direction from Hitchcock highlights the tense moments with clever close ups on bottles of wine, room keys, and personal expressions to reveal to the audience the key figures in Notorious. Hitchcock keeps you on edge with each scene that either unveils more of the plot or dives deeper into his characters. Ingrid Bergman is outstanding as this tragic romance figures. Her leading performance in unlike any other role of her's as she drunkenly slurs, flirts forwardly, and openly despairs her loveless life. Notorious is really a vehicle for a wonderful role from Bergman. She carries the movie and without her, Notorious would be dull. I do not think many actresses could have pulled off such a complex and nuanced character like Ingrid Bergman could. Cary Grant is his usual charming self with a casual humor to his every word dripping with sarcasm. He is really funny and makes for a great uneasy spy himself. You feel for him, but are frustrated by his character's inability to act upon his feelings. Notorious is slower and longer than most Hitchcock films, but it is engaging for a majority of the movie. It could have been cut down a bit for such a simple plot, but the technical mastery of Hitchcock's direction keeps you guessing. Notorious is an upsetting espionage drama that makes you feel sick for what Bergman must go through, but the romance feels genuine. It is suspenseful to the twist filled ending.

• Dec 12, 2018

Bergman and Grant take the material here and run with it, their chemistry is brilliant. The film itself is actually only so-so from a storyline point of view, but they lift it far above what is should be. It's not one of my favourite Hitchcock films but it is is always worth seeking out.

• Sep 22, 2018

Notorious features an impressive cast and a solid story. The time jumps are a little disorienting, though. It makes the romance feel forced and the mission progress seem too convenient. We're not at peak Hitchcock with this movie, but we're seeing glimmers of his greatness.