The Nutty Professor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nutty Professor Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
This comedy features and focuses on the many comic talents of Jerry Lewis. I enjoyed the opening, and there were quite a few laughs to be had in the early part of the film. But the character changes brought with them far too many songs, accompanied with slower sections, and I found myself losing focus. 1001
½ January 2, 2017
I'll be chipping away slowly at the 100 films in Danny Peary's book Cult Movies now that my video store is kaput.
The most interesting point in the essay is that, okay, it's obvious that Buddy Love is making fun of Dino and the Rat Pack, but isn't it interesting/creepy that he's also a lot like sanctimonious telethon latter Lewis?
Peary stresses that Lewis's comedy was experimental; sometimes producing duds and embarrassment for fans. I think in that light, it's more enjoyable.
November 25, 2016
It's Jerry's original! Now with a sequel / remake and a failed Broadway musical - it's a must! On Blu-ray.
½ November 7, 2016
I am not sure that Jerry Lewis' broad comedy is for me. I gave this movie a whirl and while I get it...and it had a few chuckles...it is mostly too dated and doesn't really have me busting a gut too often. If you like really broad comedy from the olden days, maybe this will grab you, but it didn't really grab me.
October 10, 2016
The movie featured the best of Jerry Lewis. Its easy to make an audience cry but very difficult to make them laugh. Nobody did it better then Jerry Lewis.
½ October 9, 2016
The first twenty minutes are so are excruciatingly slow, and the movie only picks up when Jerry Lewis transforms into Buddy Love. The performance is amazing, but the laughs are few. I do like the concept but the movie is scattershot and Professor Kelp is overly annoying.
October 1, 2016
The Nutty Professor (1963) C-107m. ??? D: Jerry Lewis. Jerry Lewis, Stella Stevens, Del Moore. Nifty comedy about nerdish professor Lewis who creates potion that turns him into an irresistible stud--but watch out for the side effects Jerry! Often hilarious; considered by many to be Lewis' best film. Remade (with Eddie Murphy) in 1996.
½ August 20, 2016
While it's a little creepy that Jerry Lewis likes a student, it's still a classic comedy and story that'll bring lots of laughs.
June 24, 2016
Jerry Lewis' magnum opus, a riotously funny classic comedy that he wonderfully directed and co-wrote. It's concerns a homely, nearsighted chemistry professor named Dr. Julius Kelp, played sensationally by Jerry Lewis in a masterful comic performance, he is constantly ridiculed by his students and fellow colleagues and totally ignored by all the ladies. Well all that is about to forever change, because he has concocted an amazing potion that will transform him into a handsome, creosote-haired, self-assured, hard-drinking lady-killer named "Buddy Love." But this Jekyll-and-Hyde routine will soon have serious consequences for the bumbling professor Kelp when the girl of his dreams, one of his students, superbly played by the gorgeous Stella Stevens, begins to fall for the conceited, super-cool Buddy Love. Astute direction by Lewis, with marvelously supporting performances by Del Moore, Kathleen Freeman, Med Flory, Norman Alden, Howard Morris, Ellvia Allman, Marvin Kaplan, Buddy Lester, Henry Gibson, and Richard Kiel. Striking cinematography by W. Wallace Kelly. There are some truly hilarious slight gags and slapstick sequences. A comic masterpiece that is a must-see! Highly Recommended.
October 29, 2015
I personally love this classic comedy. It's clever, it takes risk and it hits the mark really well. It does at times seem kind of confusing, and I do think the remake is more of a completed film, this one I think is more memorable and clever in it's humor.
½ September 20, 2015
Just as good as the remake.
½ March 22, 2015
Faultless right up until the last five minutes, when it degrades into glib neatness and loses the humanity which is its main attraction.
½ February 23, 2015
Smart and funny, a satisfying debut for Jerry Lewis.
½ January 30, 2015
The Nutty Professor is certainly not without its faults. The closing speech Jerry Lewis' Professor Kelp delivers to the students at the senior prom dance is a maudlin and too literal simplification of the film's message to just be yourself. Not all of the jokes and comedic bits work. and some are extended long past the point of amusement. Even Lewis' adoration of his lead actress occasionally leads to some embarrassingly excessive moments such as the fantasy sequence where Kelp imagines her posing provocatively in a variety of outfits. But even if you're not a Lewis fan, The Nutty Professor is more impressive for its visual inventiveness than its ability to inspire non-stop laughter. From the clever use of sound to wonderfully absurd sight gags to the stylized performances, the film is closer in style and tone to a live action cartoon.
½ January 19, 2015
Lewis' shtick is an acquired taste, but regardless, his reputation as a film director rests largely on his first four pictures. This one is usually rated as his best - I'm partial to "The Ladies Man" but his performance here is my favorite, moreso for his depiction of Buddy Love.
November 25, 2014
½ September 19, 2014
oh that Jerry Lewis and his comedic timing
the man certainly had a knack for slapstick and the wacky
he takes the Jekyll-and-Hyde approach starring as a geeky, low-life professor whom is often shunned by everyone despite his high level of intelligence
to make things better for his social standing he reads up on the chemistry of the human body and makes a potion to alter himself
by day he is a mere teacher but by night he moonlights as the swagful, dynamite Buddy Love
it's got the comedy angle to it and I did end up giggling a few times
Lewis loves playing around with the dual personality
it's not without of course a moral lesson about being yourself and having that be enough
what is the real man buried beneath it all, the one everyone steps on or the one that has real intelligence aside from good looks?
if you want to have some laughs mixed with pure goofyness then skip the Eddie Murphy remake and stick to Jerry Lewis' genius take
½ September 14, 2014
a good comedy i love jerry lewis movies!! i own this one very funny movie!!
½ August 22, 2014
The Nutty Professor is a comedy classic. This original version with Jerry Lewis is well balanced in being both funny and emotional. It's a touching film that everybody should see. (First and only viewing - 2/4/2010)