The Other - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other Reviews

½ October 23, 2012
I ran across this on some random guy's 'best horror you've never heard of ' list on YouTube, and the trailer looked creepy enough, so we gave it a look via Netfux Rental.

The creepy story of twins at a quiet farmhouse during the summer, we follow the increasingly unsettling occurrences that begin to plague the family and neighbors, all of it traceable back to these freaky little boys.

Well worth a rental.
May 4, 2012
Les images racontent une histoire tandis que le montage en raconte une autre. Un pur chef d'uvre.
½ January 29, 2012
From Tom Tryon's book. A book reviewer of the time said the shock he recieved upon the discovery made on pg.196 of the novel (hard back) was the most jolting and surprising he had ever had. Today you may see the end coming. But, you have to remember this was made in '72 before the Sixth Sense, etc. No one had seen anything like this.
January 14, 2012
One of the creepiest movies ever made.
There are themes in this movie no modern horror movie would touch (the barrel scene).
The Omen came a few years later, The Omen is basically The Other mixed with Final Destination (which came many years later).
A movie you should watch twice to catch everything, as it is very subtle and well acted.
Directed by Mulligan (To Kill a Mockingbird)it it incredibly detailed and authentic in its portrayal of 1930's Americana.
Highly recommended.
December 1, 2011
½ November 1, 2011
Wow, this creeped me out. An unexpected watch on TCM, and fantastic. Kind of a mix between the Shining and any number of creepy child killer movies, plus a sweet old Russian grandma. Impressed by how original it seems for the time, by the cinematography too.
½ October 30, 2011
a creepy gothic tale set in farm country of the 1930s, the film was the 'to kill a mockingbird' director's only foray into horror, putting an unsettling twist on the time worn theme of evil twins. with highly effective atmosphere and good acting, as well as an authentic set of identical twins, the story referenced a famous crime of the period (the lindbergh kidnapping) to good effect as well
September 20, 2011
Director Mulligan establishes a really chilling mood, and the performances are uniformly very good, but the movie flies off the rails in the third act, straining credulity in a story that - up to that point - had gone about its business in a fairly grounded way.
½ April 23, 2011
Involving but I suspect it would have played better in 1972 before this kind of storyline became an overused plot device. It was clear inside 5 minutes what was going on, and then it's a chore to wait for the chracters in the movie to catch up. Still, you gotta love Uta Hagen as the nuttiest grandmother ever.
March 22, 2011
The Other (1972) -- [6.5] -- "To Kill a Mockingbird" director Robert Mulligan does a great job engendering sympathy for a schizophrenic child who is channeling the spirit of his deceased twin. Chris and Martin Udvarnoky do a commendable job playing the boy and his 'other,' and Uta Hagen is good as the Russian aunt who begins to put two and two together. The movie could have stacked a lot more suspense if didn't show its hand so early -- the reveal that one of the brothers is a ghost could have been pushed to much later in the story (you find out in the first fifteen minutes). There's also a plot device involving Russian voodoo that doesn't sit well with me, but there are several good moments in this film and I like that it doesn't end pretty. Also featuring Diana Muldaur and John Ritter, with a score by Jerry Goldsmith.
January 22, 2011
The Other is an intense Horror film, it generates real scares and makes you feel uneasy, considering That The Exorcist came out a year later, this film is almost a stepping stone of all the great horror films that was to come in the 70's. A terrific cast, and a terrific script combine to create a memorably chilling film that is truly unnerving. Based on the book of the same name, The Other is one good horror film, and I personally think it's overlooked and it's not talked about much in Horror cycles, I only heard of it by buying it during Walmart's annual Halloween movie sale, I read the back, and it intrigued me. When I saw it, I was in awe and how creepy and original this really was. Purely Brilliant. Director Robert Mulligan has crafted a memorable horror film that unfortunately is overlooked. The acting, and pacing of the film is great, and Mulligan takes his time with the plot to let the horror unfold on screen. The Other is a well crafted horror yarn that should definitely be seen by horror fans. A film tat will definitely scare you, The Other is horror at it's terrifying best.
December 29, 2010
A good creepy horror movie that keeps you guessing till the end. I really enjoyed it.
November 30, 2010
Seen this decades ago back when special effects was near nil , it was Goodly Very Suspensefull then , will watch again sometime to see all the details I missed then with a Learneder Mind Now
November 23, 2010
I saw this as a kid and scarred the crap out of me, and today it still gives me the chills, I rank it the 2nd most scariest film under the exorcist.
October 29, 2010
The Other is not the original creepy children film--that privilege belongs to numerous predecessors: The Bad Seed, The Innocents (or Henry James's The Turn of the Screw upon which the film was based), The Village of the Damned, etc. Still, The Other manages to create an original creepy kid film that packs surprises all the way up until the climax. Atmospheric, brooding, and genuinely twisted, The Other offers macabre surprises throughout and an ending that will shock you.
September 26, 2010
"I wish I had an evil twin". Now it could look like a TV movie but it's a small cult classic.
June 30, 2010
Well done, it's story was beyond it's time.
May 17, 2010
This is a great horror/suspense film that is still engrossing today. I saw this movie more than 25 years ago and I remember being scared. I saw this movie with my 10.5 year old son last night and I think he was it frightened by it.

It is a story about evil twin boys set in the 1920's or so. The boys appear to be normal boys with a playful imagination ... And then people start dying.

The direction is good and the screenplay is wonderfully written by the Author of the Novel. The cinematography is not very good and some of the acting is hit and miss.

John Ritter has a small role in this film. He is a very young 24 years old. Uta Hagen, the noted stage actress who had a few roles in TV and film, is wonderful as the boy's Grandmother.

One thing to note is that this movie appeared before the Exorcist and The Omen. The Other is not as graphic as either of those two films, but it is just as suspenseful.
May 2, 2010
I have a vague memory of this scaring the hell out of me as a child. The HD version I tried to watch recently, was flawed. I hope to find another copy.