Out of Bounds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of Bounds Reviews

October 28, 2014
It's not the best movie ever but it has 80's charm, music and wit.
August 2, 2014
Great to see hall's range
½ April 19, 2014
Out of Brains? Out of directing, out of everything!!
½ November 15, 2013
Out Of Bounds is certainly a fitting title. The whole movie has a good premise, but it's handled so fucking ridiculously. The idea of a shy Iowa farmboy coming to LA and being immediately thrusted into trouble with being framed for murder and stolen drugs is interesting, but the fact he's thrust into a new identity of being a hot shot who knows how to shoot weapons and shit in so little time is totally unrealistic, if only we saw him struggle to adapt to this identity as it should be, it'd make more sense. On that part, the script is flawed and poor, and soon a lot of shit with corrupt cops and connections is thrown in which becomes a bit confusing. On the other hand, the general storyline was clear and whether or not the plot and developments make a lick of sense, I had a blast with this film! It's an interesting journey into the nightclubs, violence, and trades of the streets of LA, and just how overwhelming and how necessary it is to change your identity to fit in, which is a lot for Daryl Cage to adjust to. He comes to LA alone, but immediately faces trouble when he finds he got the wrong bag at the airport with drugs and finds his brother and his wife dead and framed for murder. Knowing only a girl he met on the airplane, he turns to her for help in finding the kingpin and settling the score. Just seeing Anthony Michael Hall outside his geek typecast is interesting, and he surprised me a bit here managing to pull of the performance, though still seemingly new to this genre, like a new fit that Hall wasn't fully adjusted to given his usual typecasts. Overall, structurally it's not a great film with many issues, but entertainment wise, even if thrillers weren't necessary Hall's bag or that he was just new to the genre in that matter, the movie is still fun and thrilling, and the action delivers well enough. Probably best to shut a portion of your brain off if you're going to enjoy this film, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
October 27, 2013
Watched first 20mins... Just terrible... And not in an 80s good way.
August 4, 2013
eighteen years on a farm never prepared him for a summer in L.A.
July 24, 2013
Anthony Michael Hall proves fair in this action-thriller with more careless action and less thrill, but shows a more active and serious side compared to his more comedic roles.
December 13, 2012
love that car..oh, yeah the movie's good ;-)
June 11, 2012
When his family starts to break up Iowa farmboy Darryl goes to L.A. to live with his brother. While on the plane he befriends a supposed actress. While at the airport picking up his bags he picks up the wrong one that has kelos of heroin in it. He goes and stays at his brothers and the next morning wakes up to find him and his girlfreind/wife dead. He now is on the run with both the bad guys and the police chasing him. He has the girl that he became friends with on the plane help him. Pretty decent cast including of course the main being Anthony Michael Hall. This is my first seeing him in a serious role besides being a geek in which he was in a few classics like Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, and Weird Science. And Jerrry Levine who I enjoyed as Styles in Teen Wolf is also in this movie. And lastly Meatloaf is in a few scenes as well. Not that big on him. This was a suprisingly good thriller that I really had fun watching.
April 18, 2012
AMH as an action star? Not a good idea. Too many coincidences dictated by a lack of a good writer, director, and star.
½ November 26, 2011
Before the days of the internet if you were a movie fan you used to have to buy movie review books to read what 'reputable' critics had to say about movies that you watched. One that stuck in my brain was the review to Out of Bound that was a one line review saying this should be called ' Out of Control'.. I think it was Leonard Maltin. Im glad that a man who probably makes @ least 10 times what I make would come up w/ something so simple & cash a pay check can sleep w/ himself...well here's the low down on Out of Bound. Anthony Micheal Hall who's all grow up out of detention is a stupid mother fucker who goes to LA & get his bag mixed up w/ some drug dealers makes one stupid decision after another that he has the police after his ass as well as Jeff Kober. A horrible script that isn't as bad as as Jud Nelson w/ Blue City or Emilio Estevez w/ Wisdom but should be ashamed to infect his brat pack fame on the film going audience... I can't believe that all these mother-fuckers make more money then I do & that's including you Maltin you bearded cock sucker
December 25, 2010
Anthony Michael Hall steps out of Brat Pack teen movies for a second to star in an R rated movie containing "extreme violence." What an attention grabbing move.
½ June 21, 2010
I loved this movie! I think I was about 12 when it came out. I still want a ivy-covered "secret" guest house like he had!
½ January 16, 2010
One of my faves as a young man, good action likable characters AMH does a great job Must see
½ March 23, 2009
I have to say that this film was moderate. The storyline was alot like the 1986 the hitcher. This was not really the best but hey its was worth 1.59 bucks. I wish they had a dvd for wide screen.
½ March 3, 2009
Daryl Cage (Anthony Michael Hall), is an Iowa farmboy whose parents send him to live in Los Angeles with his brother, after his parents have separated. On the plane he starts to talk to a punky cool girl named Dizz (Jenny Wright) and thus gets a taste of what L.A. might have to offer. At LAX Daryl manages to get the wrong bag at the bagage claim, and walks away with a bag full of heroin belonging to the drug kingpin Roy Gaddis (Jeff Kober) instead.
This is the start of some unfortunate events for Daryl. Suddenly he finds himself being suspected for killing his own brother and his girlfriend. Daryl becomes a fugitive with both the cops and Gaddis hot on his trails. Eventually he gets hold of Dizz to ask for help, and together they seek vengeance against Gaddis while Daryl attempts to clear his own name.

I have wanted to see this movie since 1986, and finally I was able to do so. After three strikes with "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club" and "Weird Science", Mr. Hall chose to do this thriller in 1986 to get out of the geek typecast. Fair enough, but unfortunately "Out Of Bounds" is a bloody mess that has no whatsoever logic to anything really. There are so many flaws in the story and the movie that you just can not figure out how they were thinking when making this film. Anthony Michael Hall looks very uncomfortable as Daryl and his acting and mannerism does not work for this type of movie.

The way I see it, "Out Of Bounds" has really only one plus, and that is JENNY WRIGHT. I just can not get enough of her...... Her looks, her mannerism, her aura, her way of looking vulnerable, the way she walks and talks. She is by far my biggest 80s crush and I still love to watch her specifically in her 80s movies. And in "Out Of Bounds" she has this punky cool look that is just uberhot. Love her outfit in the plane sequence... So, if you are a fan of Jenny Wright, you should just indulge yourself in this wobbly 80s thriller.
January 29, 2009
as long as i remember this was a good film :)
January 15, 2009