The Out-of-Towners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Out-of-Towners Reviews

½ August 18, 2016
Jack Lemmon faces one bad turn after another on a trip to New York City. It's an entertaining classic comedy, but is also a little troubling to think about what can go wrong on a vacation. (First and only viewing - 8/18/2016)
½ July 16, 2016
Really Good movie Especially at that time the city was gritty and a terrifying place back then I like it. It was funny to ?????
March 6, 2016
I love this movie my family too, one of our favorite comedies of all time!
November 18, 2015
A funny original classic. LOVED it.
½ September 5, 2015
As funny as anything Jack Lemmon has done as things go from bad to worse for our out-of-towners......I laugh my arse off every time I watch this classic.
½ August 29, 2015
Painful to watch is not my idea of entertainment. Just ewwww, one scene after another. I couldn't finish it. Reminds me why I can't stand the Home Alone horror series. And that actress has an annoying quality about her.
½ June 24, 2015
Trail-blazed the "everything goes wrong" road movie. Each calamity is predictable, but hilariously plausible, and sharply written.
May 25, 2015
not as funny as it could be, a real drag.
May 21, 2015
Outstanding comedy with the two leads at the top of their game. Infectious!
February 2, 2015
Non-stop hole digging scenario's from start to finish make Jack Lemmon one funny creative moaner, coupled with Sandy Dennis playing the long suffering wife, this is an oldie, who's humour is not old
January 5, 2015
The Out-of-Towners is probably one of the greatest "passed over" films around. This film wasn't a critical success, however it enjoys much fame and fandom today. Lemmon and Dennis are superb as George and Gwen Kellerman who can't seem to find Lady Luck. Anne Meara, Sandy Baron, Graham Jarvis, Dolph Sweet, and Billy Dee Williams are just some of the actors you will notice as the Kellerman's trek their way through Ohio, Boston, and finally New York. A well-done film.
December 27, 2014
This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen in my life! It's one that when I get sad or bored can make me laugh throughout the whole thing. If you watch this and don't think it's funny, you're just plain DEAD
November 25, 2014
A great and very funny movie. Lemon and Dennis are unbelievably funny. I do not understand some of these reviews. I watch it every couple of years and with the current degradation of airline travel in the world, it becomes more poignant each year. Absolutely hilarious.
August 10, 2014
So much irritation in 98 minutes...Oh, my gawd!
May 25, 2014
Works too well in having the audience feel they are a part of Lemmon and Dennis' horrible day to where it becomes unpleasant. Very relatable, though. Not very funny, but the story itself works well enough. Just a little too much of a downer as I've said.
February 9, 2013
It may be a little cliched, but "The Out-of-Towners" sports a very funny script by Neil Simon, a wonderfully 60's score by Quincy Jones, and two hilarious performances from the always great Jack Lemmon and the riotous Sandy Dennis.
½ January 19, 2013
Not Neil Simons best. Still decent though.
December 5, 2012
George Kellerman: Yes, what seems to be the problem now?
Airline Stewardess: Well, I imagine that we've run into some bad weather.
George Kellerman: You don't have to imagine just look out the window!