The Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Party Reviews

½ December 4, 2014
September 30, 2014
Funny to fault, try to stop laughing in this one. Another Peter Sellers great! It is racist but it is also extremely funny and not so racist if you come to think of it. I cracked up at the silliness, but then, I like that humour. If you do, don't miss it. If you don't, watch it and you will. Peter Sellers has now officially become one of my personal favourite comedians of all time.
September 11, 2014
A classic comedy for the ages, one that i've seen countless times
½ August 12, 2014
Sellers at his physical best. I still have a tendency to say "birdie num num" in awkward silences.
July 18, 2014
Very funny and exciting
½ July 11, 2014
Peter Sellers is simply brilliant as a bumbling Indian actor named Hrundi V. Bakshi, who is unintendedly invited to a producer's party and then finds himself moving from one awkward situation to another. Very loose plot renders the film a sequence of set pieces, but they range from amusing to sidesplitting - never dull. Then, Claudine Longet makes for a lovely love interest.
May 17, 2014
A movie that tells a lot about the Studio City's xenophobia and the clash of generations. It is also the meeting of two comic geniuses.
½ April 21, 2014
A very enjoyable film. Perhaps Sellers' greatest performance.
½ January 2, 2014
This movie begins as a typical comedy and then transformed into something strangely touching and bizarre, with a very funny cast.
November 14, 2013
Peter Sellers doing what Peter Sellers does best - hilarious stuff!
½ October 31, 2013
this peter sellers vehicle is still incredabilly funny still though u can tell (maybe its the elephant) its a sixties movie!
½ October 12, 2013
Excellent fish-out-of-water story. Very funny.
½ September 21, 2013
The kind of physical comedy that Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd would have admired.
August 14, 2013
Watched before 7/5/2012
June 28, 2013
Totally hilarious!!!
½ June 22, 2013
Hilarious. A comedy classic.
June 22, 2013
With it's simple concept, distinct 60's look and Peter Sellers' ability to perform convincing physical comedy, 'The Party' does exactly what it sets out to do; make you laugh, or smile big at the very least.
½ June 11, 2013
Not bad for a tp comedy!!!
May 20, 2013
What if everything that can go wrong in a party will go wrong? This is the question that's answered by this movie and the answer is hilarious. There is a joke and a laugh almost every minute. Peter Sellers excels here and Blake Edwards handles chaos incarnate by directing Bakshi's antics, goofs and pure fails. Only cacophony with the movie is the sound which is pretty amateurish but even that can't change the fact that this is one hell of a movie!
May 1, 2013
Birdie num nums! LOL. One will be LOL-ing in this wonderful Blake Edwards-Peter Sellers cinematic collaboration (their only non-Pink Panther film together). The brownface conceit aside, Sellers is wonderful as a bumbling Indian actor who gets accidentally invited to a lavish Hollywood party. Chaos ensues. I was struck by how this film felt like a Jacques Tati film ("Playtime", in particular) with the way the gags, slapstick and the descent (or ascent) to chaos is structured (I looked it up and it was indeed Tati-influenced). It's terrific.