Peter Pan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peter Pan Reviews

½ March 23, 2017
I liked this film as a child but seeing it again now I find that I can't hold the same opinion. I find the characters from Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, Wendy, Hook and Smee all to be irritating to one level or another. Be it voice acting or personality, something grates on my nerves. The music was subpar as well, "What Makes the Red Men Red"? Really? I also noticed that the pirate song is very similar to a song from Pinocchio as if Disney was too lazy to write anything new.

Don't get me wrong, Peter Pan wasn't terrible or anything but it was awfully forgettable, must be why I never revisited this before unlike other Disney films.
January 9, 2017
Another Disney masterpiece. Excellent storyline, thrilling action, absolutely delightful, and the tune you can fly will bring a tear to your eye, but maybe the last part's just me. The only problem is, this is a Disney movie where some real sexist comments and stereotypes come out. However, it's an old movie, and people had a different way of thinking in 1953 than they do today. Overall, an absolute delight to watch, and a must see Disney classic!
December 27, 2016
The most timeless and recognizable film portrayal of the classic storybook character, with Disney's name written all over it.
December 13, 2016
One of the defining features of my childhood, this still holds up after the past decades! That scene where Tinkerbell sacrifices herself for Peter is still frightening to watch, but the most powerful part of the movie!
November 24, 2016
Colorful Disney adaptation of the children's classic with memorable characters (Tinkerbell) and songs ("You Can Fly").
August 20, 2016
Absolutely loved this movie as a kid. It has amazing music and animation and I will always enjoy it. However, it is quite racist, and I won't show it to my kids.
½ August 15, 2016
Peter Pan is a fun movie and Captain Hook is one the funniest Disney villains!
August 12, 2016
: One of those instant classics, Peter Pan was a box office and critical success when it was released. Disney adapts the classic play by J.M. Barrie faithfully and brings to life the 1904 British play with colorful, original characters like Captain Hook and Tinker Bell, mascots of the studio today. Perhaps a little too faithfully though, animators chose to include some pretty racist portrayals of Native Americans from its source material, with cringe worthy scenes (there's even a song called "What Makes the Red Man Red"). Yikes. Though it hasn't aged well, it's still magical in almost every sense, Peter Pan maneuvers through slapstick humor as well as heartfelt emotion and nostalgia for childhood.
½ July 25, 2016
Not sure I've ever seen this all the way through but we really enjoyed this 60 year old Disney classic. My son was absolutely engrossed throughout and found the slapstick humour with Captain Hook and the crocodile hilarious. Sure we'll be bringing this out for a repeat viewing at some point.
July 22, 2016
Some of my favorite Disney songs and characters come from this gem. It's a true standout in an very rich library of films.
June 10, 2016
The story of Peter Pan is the most wonderful stories in the history. Peter Pan is the boy who never grew up and the lost boys. The characters are likeable, Wendy's parents, our hero Peter Pan, Wendy, John, Michael, The Lost Boys, Tinkerbell, Tick Tock the crocodile and one of my favourite evil villians Captain Hook. He's one of the most funniest and vicious villians ever. Hook and Smee makes me laugh every time I watch it. I actually did own this on VHS that was years ago when I was child. My best friend Nathan Tolson is a fan of Peter Pan, he plays the good guy and I played the bad guy and we were non stop quoting the lines from this amazing Disney movie. Nathan likes me being chased by Tick Tock the crocodile which Captain Hook has a fear on him. The funny scene I laughed at is a scene where Peter Pan distracts Captain Hook by echoing the caves and tells Mr Smee to release Tiger Lily and take her back to her people by pretending to be Captain Hook and shouts understand and that really makes me laugh non stop. There are also live action versions of Peter Pan like the who stars Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams which that my friend Nathan watch as well. And the 2003 version which stars Jason Issacs and I also love that. Me and Nathan have enjoyed this Disney classic so much. You know what they say when you see a crocodile? Never smile at the crocodile.
½ May 10, 2016
With great animation, and charming moments, and even some unexpected good black humor, Peter Pan is a classic Disney film.
½ March 29, 2016
Wonderful Disney animation film that is a classic! The Sammy Kahn songs are great, too.
March 7, 2016
Walt Disney's Peter Pan has become a beloved classic, cherished by generations of audience members of all ages. And its no wonder why. Most everyone can relate to the enchantment of wanting to stay young forever, all the while going on an adventure in a far off land. It's a simple story that's been told time and time again, on both stage and screen, but Walt Disney's version of Peter Pan is probably the most recognizable. The design of the film is not quite as remarkable as some of the company's other productions, coming right off the design of Alice in Wonderland, but its still beautiful none-the-less. The animation itself is the most spectacular aspect of the movie as the movie is very character driven. As the story runs that fine line that crosses from close and emotional moments to pure slapstick comedy, the animation reflects it all, developing some of the strongest personalities to come from Disney.

The characters, as well known as they are outside of this film, are very quintessential Disney here. The Darling children are grounded as the real audience experiencing magic for the first time. We see through their eyes and experience the wonder with them as they visit Neverland. While Wendy says she doesn't want to grow up, and is mesmerized by the wonderful things she sees around her, she also naturally takes on the role of the mother, fleshing her out into a character who also understands responsibility and seriousness where no one else does.

Peter Pan somehow manages to be both a brat and charming at the same time. He is the timeless boy, literally, that everyone wants to hold onto. All the girls are simply head over heels for him and all the boys aspire to be like him. He is the definitive boy hero. Captain Hook is surprisingly a mostly silly villain, even becoming the butt of many jokes, but this still doesn't diminish his dangerousness. You never forget for a moment that he is ready to take down Peter Pan. His best moments are as a speaker, such as his moment playing the piano with his hook while talking with Tinker Bell. Here, you see scheming and the true great threat right in his eyes. It's also a nice nod that the voice-actor who plays Hook continues the tradition of playing the Darling father as well.

Tinker Bell has some of the best moments in the movie, especially for a sidekick. Scenes like her noticing the size of her hips while standing on a mirror or literally turning red in anger add so much to her character. And the fact that she doesn't speak, only giving sounds of a bell as per the original story, makes her moments of pantomime that much greater. It's no wonder she would go on to have an illustrious career as a character on her own outside of the film, but unfortunately she has never again had the charm that she has here.

Other sidekick characters also leave a mark. Mr. Smee is one of the most unforgettable villain henchmen, and Tick-Tock the crocodile offers the biggest action scenes in the film, chasing off Hook. Unfortunately, the portrayal of the Indians is very stereotypical of the times, a misstep that surprisingly hasn't been edited out like some of Disney's other objectional film moments. But even they have lovingly memorable scenes.

Disney yet again captures all of this youthful innocence with vibrant animation, catchy songs and characters that seem to lead a life all their own. It's not about wondering what's going to happen at the end of the film, but about how these characters are going to lead you there through this familiar story. Peter Pan truly is ageless and will no doubt continue to be enjoyed by audiences for years to come.
February 10, 2016
Peter Pan is a good movie and funny I like the alligator that swallowed a Clock and is all ways near Captain Hook. This is a nice movie for kids to see it is a entertaining movie
January 15, 2016
Sweet, fun Disney classic.

Based on James Barrie's famous book, the story of Peter Pan, the boy who never grew up. We see his battles with Captain Hook, Smee and company, accompanied by Wendy, John and Michael and, of course, Tinker Bell...

Wonderful adaptation of the novel. Fast-paced, funny and with a great vibrance and message. Animation is excellent and still looks fantastic, over 60 years later. There's not much music, but the tunes there are are very catchy.

Good voice casting too.

An animated classic, suitable for all ages.
½ December 19, 2015
Captain Hook is a most respectable man. He is neither ambitious nor vicious and doesn't seem to want to bother anyone in the seemingly peaceful Never Land-all except for a cocky young boy (voiced by Bobby Driscoll) who cut off his left hand in "good fun." For whatever reason and despite their good upbringing, the children are inclined to idolize Peter Pan as a hero-thirsty as his somewhat-trusted companion is for Wendy's blood. Putting all that aside, however, the film manages to conceal this considerable question of ethics with its splendid visuals, its memorable songs and harmless fun (no more hand-cutting follows), and when all is said and done, it really is rather touching.
December 2, 2015
The version of this story everyone remembers.
November 13, 2015
Peter Pan is a Disney classic and remains one of their best films in my opinion.