The Poor Little Rich Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Poor Little Rich Girl Reviews

February 4, 2016
One of the assured flops for Mary Pickford's Career according to the Studio Executives but to their surprise (and Mary's) this film was a smash hit & earned Mary the largest box office success in her career till then.

The story of a young rich girl who has everything but the love of her wealthy & distracted parents. I believe Mary Pickford was in her mid 20's when she made this film playing an 11 year old with ease.

Although extremely sentimental this film has some very odd Fantasy Sequences & really demonstrates how electric Mary was on screen. Thankfully a beautiful tinted print is on DVD now & looks great considering it will be 100 years old next year.
½ April 18, 2015
The Poor Little Rich Girl has very charming Mary Pickford in the central role, some very inventive intertitle design, entertaining and endearing plot filled with a couple of funny as well as intriguing fantasy sequences, but the script is too simplistic with some unbelievable, head-scratching dialogue and the editing is problematic because the whole picture is very abrupt, short and rushed. It is charming, involving and very modern in some regards, but it's a deeply flawed film nevertheless with a troubling script and too short running time.
January 14, 2015
My first silent film and it was better than I expected. Mary Pickford was really good & I see why she was famous during the silent film era.
June 4, 2013
Pickford excels in every kind of scene, from slapstick to tragedy...
February 23, 2013
One of Pickford's best silent films.
May 16, 2012
25-year-old, Mary Pickford, plays a ten-year-old rich girl.
½ March 29, 2012
Pleasant film, but she was so belligerent & incorrigible throughout!

Compellingly conveys the importance of a mother & father being present in the life of a child. The moral that loved ones are more important than money.

One of the morals that I didn't really buy into was the idea that poverty is somehow the key to human happiness. Or that only through not having the responsibilities of rich people can you get a true fix on human emotion & zest of life. That only people who have nothing can have everything & people who have everything really have nothing. Someone "grinding out money" does not automatically make them a bad parent. That whole caricature is absurd to me.

Mary Pickford's acting & charm are really on display here. She cannot be given too much credit for her wonderfully believable portrayal of an 11 year old girl, despite being in her 20s. She was so watchable, one understands how she was America's first sweetheart. A precursor to Shirley Temple.

Love the fantasy sequences. Some great costume design and special effects for its day.

The story is a bit choppy at times. New scenes just pop out of nowhere occassionally. They're all interesting, but I'd have appreciated a bit more flow to the narrative.

The story is a memorable one. And one sees traces of it in film & TV even today.

Good show.
½ December 2, 2011
Personally thought this was one of the great silent films. Its willingness to cross class lines recommended it to me
½ April 23, 2011
The poor little rich girl is 11 years old and is played by 23-year-old Mary Pickford surrounded by taller actors and big furniture. Pickford, however, gives a performance that would be 100% convincing except for that odd fact that she is not a little girl. There are cars, telephones, and city streets but this is a fairy tale that eventually culminates in what is basically The Wizard of Oz. I really haven't seen anything like this.
August 27, 2010
Great story, well exacuted with good actors and good effects for the time. This is a must see. Nothing else I can say just go see it.
July 23, 2010
ok but skip this & see the shirley temple version
June 9, 2008
Cute movie. It's easy to see how Mary Pickford became America's Sweetheart.
February 5, 2008