The Postman Always Rings Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Postman Always Rings Twice Reviews

December 14, 2013
I went into this one thinking that I had seen this one before but soon realized that I must've been thinking about the '80s re-make, or just convinced myself that I read the book in conjunction with a viewing of the film - I don't know what the deal was.

That said, this was a really well-made adaptation of the source material and I'm happy to finally mark it off my film noir viewing list.

October 28, 2013
A restless beautiful housewife is stuck in a roadside diner with her older mundane husband. But when a handsome drifter blows her way, it's love at first time, and their passion leads to murderous thoughts. An adult themed sexually charged noir full of taste and atmosphere. Turner radiates repressed sexuality and incontrollable passion as she shares legendary screen chemistry with Garfield in the femme fatale role. Garnett's lustful direction heightens the racy atmosphere of this film.
September 21, 2013
This movie is every bit the epitome of film noir that such classics as Double Indemnity are. While the law is given the unrealistic Hollywood treatment to the nth degree, it is most entertaining to see karma at work as conniving turns to justice. James Garfield's role as the drifter is very convincing . What tended not to be convincing was Lana Turner's stoicism throughout the movie- it was a bit too toned down. Hume Cronyn puts in the best performance, playing sleazebag lawyer Arthur Keats (a precursor to Saul from Breaking Bad anyone?). Very good film that has elements of romance, suspense, and a clever wrap-up.
July 31, 2013
Lana Turner, and John Garfield fit right into there roles as two people made for each other. It's exciting, and fascinating to watch these characters interact with each other. A great American movie.
July 19, 2013
The Postman Always Rings Twice. What kind of title is The Postman Always Rings Twice? I know it's the title of the book, but it's one of the worst titles ever for a movie. Other than a comment at the end of the film, the title has nothing to do with the film itself. Now, on with my review for the film that should be called Adulterous Romance Gone Wrong.

In The Postman Always Rings Twice, drifter Frank Chambers (John Garfield) gets a job as a small diner run by Nick Smith (Cecil Kellaway). When he meets Nick's attractive wife (Lana Turner), he soon wants to have a sexual relationship with her. They soon plot to kill off Nick so they can get married and claim his insurance policy. The plan works well, but with the law on to them, can the two lovers manage to escape their crimes?

The film also stars Hume Cronyn as crooked judge Arthur Keets.

I really wanted to like this film. I really did. The casting of Lana Turner and John Garfield is brilliant, especially Turner, who's pretty attractive, while a sick and twisted woman. The chemistry comes off as the best thing in the film. I also liked the thrills in the film, particularly in the killing scenes.

If I liked these scenes, then what's wrong with the film? Well, besides the awful film title, it seemed to me like the film director was attempting to knock Alfred Hitchcock by putting crazy plot twists after another. While Hitchcock succeeded in this, particularly in Vertigo, Tay Garnett, however, overdid it on the twists, making the film less convincing. Also, while I was impressed by the performances of Lana Turner and John Garfield and their chemistry was good, the romance, however, wasn't. What didn't help at all was the censorship restrictions during sexual scenes (Back in the day, you could only kiss for 3 seconds). The restrictions really dumbed the film down and makes the romantic scenes dull.

The biggest disappointment in The Postman Always Rings Twice is the ending. While is was predictable that something bad was going to happen to the characters, the way it was presented was a letdown. I'm not going to give it away, but if you've heard the Styx song "Renegade," then you know how it's going to end. While something like this works in a rock song, it fails miserably in a thriller.

I had high expectations for The Postman Always Rings Twice, but I was disappointed, especially in the ending and the many twists and melodrama. The 95% Tomatometer score is a joke. Literally.
July 10, 2013
Wow! This is noir in its purest form. It has everything the genre requires: the chiaroscuro altercations, the femme fatale, the murder plot, and then, like an unexpected thunderstorm, the characters must face the irreversible consequences of their actions. That is one of the very few kind of films that turn out to be unexpected regarding their conclusions.

Avoid the hideous remake.

July 10, 2013
less steamy than the remake but that is to be expected for the era it was made. enjoyed cronyn and ames in their supporting roles and i felt turner was particularly good as cora. kellaway, however, seemed a bit too lovable and happy go lucky, although granted quite unattentive, to be so despised.......
½ July 1, 2013
4.5: Lana Turner is simply incredible. When one thinks of classic and unforgettable leading lady performances, especially in noir, this one will likely jump to the forefront of many people's minds. She seems so pure and pristine it doesn't seem real or possible. And of course it isn't. It is Hollywood. Her character is also rather impenetrable. As far as I can remember from the novel the film doesn't exactly follow along with the plot, but it works nonetheless. Garfield is an excellent foil and leading man as well. This is one of those pictures that just seems to get more and memorable each time one sees it. It could easily fit in the dictionary under the term "classic."
June 22, 2013
Lana turner alone makes this movie great. She is amazing with her attitude and beauty. I was amazed at the harmlessness of the innuendos. It must have been a racy movie for the time, but it came out after double indemnity to rival it in its daringness.
June 20, 2013
It felt rather rambling, along with false endings.
May 27, 2013
Kinda falls apart here or there but eventually gets back onto the rails. Most of the movie is very good though. Lots of fun.
½ May 17, 2013
Love, trust & paying the piper...
½ May 13, 2013
Layer upon layer of manipulations. Hume Cronyn reinvigorates the movie toward the end after it has begun to sag under it's own accumulated weight a bit. There's a very effective, stomach churning shot of a car careening down a cliff partway through. Caught me a bit off-guard, that did.
April 23, 2013
I kept waiting for this to be awesome. It isn't. :(
½ April 20, 2013
Outstanding noir film. Love the plot and cast.
March 16, 2013
It could have been a better film noir without the many coincidences.
Lana Turner is a hot babe.
March 13, 2013
Never read the book, but I got the feeling that the film was a little bit rushed. It felt a little bit flat and lacked a bit of punch. I didn't really care about the characters enough to be bothered about what happened to them.
½ March 4, 2013
I was not expecting a classic film noir along the lines of "Double Indemnity" or "Out of the Past" when I put this movie in, and for awhile, I thought I might have been wrong. Maybe the cover was too cheesy, I'm not sure, but I didn't have extra high hopes for this movie. Then my mood brightened when it actually started to become very entertaining. I wasn't being blown away, but I did start to enjoy the film noir 101 plot. The reviewer who noted MGM's dramatic lighting of Turner is right, it's ridiculous, but it does come with the territory I guess. Other than that, things seemed to be moving in place very smoothly.