The Prince and the Pauper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prince and the Pauper Reviews

January 20, 2015
Errol Flynn y Claude Rains! en esta aceptable versiòn del clà sico de Mark Twain-
½ November 10, 2014
good version of this
½ February 28, 2014
There is either a mad prince or a beggar on the thrown.

Two little boys run into each other in the back yard of the palace. They decide it would be neat to switch places; the problem, one of the boys is the son of the King of England and the other is a poor boy. When the poor boy has to become the King of England because the king dies, their little game becomes complicated. Can the poor boy work with a local swordsman to find a way back to the throne?

"It may have happened. It may not have happened. But it could have happened."

William Keighley, director of The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Street with No Name, G Men, The Man Who Came to Dinner, Valley of the Giants, and The Match King, delivers The Prince and the Pauper. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unfold and very entertaining. The script is clever and well written and everyone delivers a solid performance. The cast include Errol Flynn, Alan Hale, Barton MacLane, Claude Rains, and Henry Stephenson.

"One day I'll have your head for calling me that; or maybe your feet, they're more in the way."

This is a movie I DVR'd because it starred the great Errol Flynn. I found the movie fun and was surprised he didn't join the film until it was two-thirds over. Overall, this is a very entertaining picture that is fun and can be enjoyed by the whole family. This is definitely a classic picture that is underrated.

"The king is dead."

Grade: B-
½ November 22, 2012
The Prince and the Pauper (1937) -- [7.5] -- Twins Billy and Bobby Mauch do very well as the title characters in this lavish production of Mark Twain's oft-told tale of mistaken identity. Claude Rains takes the role of villainy this time, playing an evil Earl who forces the beggar boy to be king for his own selfish gain, while Errol Flynn (at his dashing best) plays the soldier of fortune who helps the exiled prince to reclaim his throne. Beautifully photographed, with spectacular sets and a moving Korngold score, it's a film hard to resist.
½ September 7, 2012
Twain Classic, with Flynn in Support of the Mauch Twins--Good wholesome, adventurous fun for all ages!!
½ December 1, 2011
Muchas adaptaciones modernas y/ó animadas carecen de todo el esfuerzo que esta película nos brinda, las actuaciones, los escenarios, los vestuarios, y la trama son de proporsiones colosales y muy bien aprovechadas.
½ May 3, 2011
Errol Flynn y Claude Rains! en esta aceptable versiòn del clàsico de Mark Twain-
½ April 6, 2011
Claude Rains is great here.
February 9, 2011
I'm sure I saw it as a kid but I sure can't remember it.
August 12, 2010
An ok movie, not the most exciting Errol Flynn movie. I didn't know Mark Twain wrote this novel
June 24, 2010
This 1937 film is a GREAT adaptation!
Starring Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Alan Hale and the Mauch twins
½ January 28, 2010
This is such an enjoyable and wonderful film. It may not be the most faithful adaptation of the book, but it is the most entertaining version. The Mauch twins do a fantastic job, Errol Flynn is at his dashing best and a stellar supporting cast, with Claude Rains giving an outstanding performance. Great story, good production, excellent art direction and costumes. A delight.
October 19, 2009
An extra star for this one.
½ March 26, 2009
Wonderful adventure film from 1937 starring twins Billy and Bobby Mauch as the title characters who accidentally switch places and the rest of the movie try to convince everyone who they really are. Errol Flynn (top billed though he shows up halfway through the movie) plays the dashing hero (of course) who saves the young king and helps him try to get pack into the castle. Very impressive sets and costumes along with a great score makes this a fun picture to watch. I wish there was more sword fighting scenes, but oh well, it's more about the two kids rather than Errol.
January 23, 2009
I cannot believe I have not seen this yet! Well...there are so many great films out there and o so little time to watch them all!
December 29, 2008
cole and dylan r soooooooo cute
jjnxn
½ August 26, 2008
Okay version of story, rather lifeless until Errol shows up but thats about an hour in and its rather precious up to that point.
July 25, 2008
Good movie, probably my favorite telling of the story. Errol Flynn was wonderful as usual!
June 24, 2008
One of my favorite movies. Wonderful story, great cast and exciting acting.... cannot go wrong if you decide to watch this one :)
½ December 16, 2007
Excellent adaption of Mark Twain classic.Great cast, including Errol Flynn ( a personal favorite actor of mine!!!) and real life twins Billy and Bobby Mauch. Warner Brothers always did have a knack for making great period piece films, and this is no exception. Excellent Musical score by the great Erich Wolfgang Korngold. This was one of Flynn's first few movies, and just from the short time he had on screen, you could see a star on the rise. A swashbuckling classic!