The Producers Reviews

• Sep 30, 2019

not as good as the 2005(?) edition, was missing many of the elements of the original musical that makes it special, Ula was diminished down to a caricature, etc

• Jul 30, 2019

I will never understand what is it that people find so great about Mel Brooks' films and humour in general. All I see in this one is mostly a cringy script.

• Jul 17, 2019

Wonderfully silly and over the top and for its time pretty shocking.

Wonderfully silly and over the top and for its time pretty shocking.

• Dec 27, 2018

It's incredible when you realize that this was Mel Brooks' first film. And it's all writing and acting that carries it. No nudity, profanity or special effects included.

• Nov 30, 2018

While I think Mel Brooks found his voice in the 1970s when his movies became more self-aware, his directorial debut is still a solid film. The Producers is a more traditional style of comedy that doesn’t break the fourth wall, or directly spoof another genre, but it tells a hilarious story. Zero Mostel is delightful as the conniving producer, who is willing to do anything to make some money, even sell his integrity and his body. Gene Wilder starts out as a lovely contrast to that, because he’s the neurotic accountant who can’t even hear raised voices without panicking. One of my problems with the film is how quickly Leo Bloom becomes a different character, though. He has some clearly-defined traits in that first act, all of them seem to be a faint memory in a matter of minutes, and they never come back. But who cares, when the third act hits and we get to see part of Springtime for Hitler, nothing else matters. It might be one of the funniest scenes in film history, and hits such a hilarious high note that the rest of the movie can’t live up to it. Within minutes after I start watching The Producers, I admit, I’m already anticipating when it will get to the stage for the big climactic show. The last few scenes are all lackluster after Springtime for Hitler, so it feels like it could wrap up faster. So, I’m willing to concede that there are some flaws in The Producers, but it’s still good for a lot of laughs. Some people might consider it one of Mel Brooks’ lesser works, but I think that’s still pretty great.

• Jul 15, 2018

Oh what a pair Mostel and Wilder make in this movie! Such a joy to watch

Oh what a pair Mostel and Wilder make in this movie! Such a joy to watch

• Jul 10, 2018

The Producers has a somewhat annoying first act, but it becomes better and better upon eventually becoming such a good, fun flick leading to the best Mel Brooks film I've seen so far. The film looks cheap, but is well directed, entertaining and fast paced, particularly exuberant in its approach and it features a memorable, fun main duo in Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder.

• Jul 04, 2018

Springtime for Mel Brooks! The Producers may be a little out there, but Brooks, Mostel, Wilder, and Mars make it work! Bravo Brooks!

• Jun 06, 2018

The Producers (1967): Pros: - Fantastic Acting - Amazing Directing - Terrific Script - Good Cinematography - Great Editing - Hysterical Comedy (especially the timing) - Memorable Characters - Fun Story - Wonderful Music/Songs - Brilliant Pacing Cons: - none Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)

• Jun 03, 2018

Viewed a 50th anniversary showing, and although some of the bite maybe lost in today's minefield of irreverence there is still plenty of witty satire and laugh out loud slapstick for audiences in 2018.