Prom Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prom Night Reviews

October 19, 2013
If you don't know who the killer is by the end of this movie your an idiot
½ August 28, 2013
It's a very good film overall that's fun to watch, with a surprisingly intriguing premise. The acting is also pretty good, and the characters actually have some personality (with Jamie Lee Curtis arguably being the least-distinct in my opinion). Leslie Nielson is a treat to watch, even in a small (but top-billed) role, but my favorite performances are probably from Eddie Benton and Joy Thompson. Sheldon Rybowski was decent too, but the rest of the boys were so forgettable. The plot moves very slowly, but gets exciting once it moves to the prom, and the twist ending (and the fact that the real killer is a surprise) is interesting and ties to the pretty sad backstory. The chase scenes are exciting and one character's death (won't spoil, but it's near the very end) is pure gold. The Canadian disco music is also pretty good, if a bit cheesy, and fits the movie well. Overall, while the film isn't terribly memorable, it's superior and more creative than most slasher films of the period, and I recommend it for horror/slasher fans.
½ July 28, 2013
Has a good chase scene, but overall the movie was kinda boring and uninteresting.
June 25, 2013
Another poor slasher flick staring Jamie Lee Curtis. There are no frights or suspense and the kills are also fairly lame. It was also very weird seen the late great Leslie Nielsen in a serious role. I kept expecting him to break into Lt. Frank Drebin. A rather pointless effort from a studio trying to cash in on the success of Halloween.
½ June 22, 2013
This movie was super boring and the killer's identity really wasn't even a surprise or a shocker. I don't know how this movie did the time it came out but I would have not went to the movies to see this...not even back then. Best part of the movie was Jamie Lee Curtis dancing. Other then that..lame as hell.
½ June 19, 2013
A slasher film set at a highschool dance. I can't think of many things stupider than that.
½ April 29, 2013
Quite possibly the dullest slasher I've ever seen and I fast-forwarded through to the end after 30 minutes. There's a half decent chase towards the end but it goes on for too long and the kill is off-screen. It's not even worth seeing JLC because she's more of a supporting role. Hard to believe this is considered a classic horror movie..
April 20, 2013
There's no attempt to keep the killer a mystery and it's quite obvious from the beginning how it will all pan out in the end so the suspense is lacking. As a slasher film it ain't that surprising and as a stand alone it's quite inferior.
½ March 18, 2013
Fairly generic slasher picture about teenagers getting murdered after sneaking off with their boyfriends or girlfriends on the night of their high schools Prom. There's a prologue showing their involvement in the death of a schoolmate years ago which they agreed to keep to themselves with the suggestion that they are being murdered these many years later in retribution.
February 28, 2013
Sue me for having high hopes for this. By the time I finally saw this some time ago it didn't do much for me at all. Still there is something semi-interesting about how it goes down and it is always good to see Leslie Nielsen not in comedy, not that he sucks as he is pure gold in the ZAZ movies, but stuff like this and Creepshow is cool to me. This movie is pretty typical and a average slasher. Better than Jamie Lee's Terror Train but only slightly.
February 19, 2013
not a bad film, bit slow to be honest but it picked up near the end, the ending was a surprise
½ February 6, 2013
There is no reason for this movie to exist, and there's a dance number that deserves to be in a better movie.
½ December 30, 2012
A very good slasher movie.
½ December 25, 2012
A surprisingly good slasher movie. It had a unique setting for the genre, an interesting story, and characters who succeed at being more than just throwaways who you want to get killed (which DEFINITELY sets this apart from most other slashers). The kill scenes were also entertaining, but not enough to turn the "glittery black mask guy" into one of the great slasher villains such as Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees. Some of the dialogue is pretty poorly written/acted, but that doesn't come to be a major issue in the long-run. Jamie Lee Curtis does a good job, but Leslie Nielsen, while his performance wasn't bad by any means, just wasn't very memorable. Overall, it's nothing but good ol' '80s slasher fun.
½ December 16, 2012
Jamie Lee Curtis saves this film from being unwatchable. It's problematic in terms of elements being pulled from Halloween and the Prom scene feeling like Saturday Night Fever. The strong disco vibe through out the movie makes it strongly dated. Leslie Nielsen gets top billed in this film though he is only in it for five minutes. Other than that, the kills are good.
December 10, 2012
man this was really bad. but fun to watch if you make fun of it the whole time.
November 17, 2012
Not sure if I ever saw this.
November 3, 2012
A terrifying movie that takes you on a thrill ride, that is perfectly wrapped up by a disturbing and depressing ending.
October 27, 2012
Maybe in the 80's this was good but now it's just laughable. It's do 80's it has the disco effect of the early 80's and music that it's hard not to laugh. It's more funny then scary.
October 27, 2012
Hamilton High's Disco Madness themed prom becomes a disaster when a student kills those responsible for his sister's death six years earlier. On the plus side, staff can expect fewer fights in the cafeteria after a major troublemaker is beheaded.