Promised Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Promised Land Reviews

½ July 17, 2015
Good acting, good directing, good story. So I can't quite understand why it was just a little bit boring.
½ July 1, 2015
Nice enough, but a little to neat and tidy in what could have been a genuine reflection of current environmental issues instead of simply a sentimental piece of fluff.
June 22, 2015
This film had such promise. But, too many flaws couldn't be overlooked. 1) We were a step ahead of the twist 2) Damon's character had a farming background so he should've been more curious/concerned about the farms that his company were going to drill on. Either he should've done some research on his own company, or show us why he couldn't research for himself. Ultimately, we felt unfulfilled at the end.
June 7, 2015
I Like Matt Damon, One Matt Damon Film, 1998's Saving Private Ryan Is One Of My Favorite Films.
April 20, 2015
The film takes a current complex issue and turns it into a fluff piece. The ending is absolutely infuriating and not a bit earned.
½ April 14, 2015
Enjoyable to watch with excellent acting and ... well, it has a story. We're prepared to get angry or manipulated or relate to Matt's moral dilemma, but it just doesn't take us there, because that's the easy thing for the writers to try and easy doesn't cut it.
April 12, 2015
Not bad.
But really a movie that tries everything and then, all over sudden, going back to square one, accomplishes nothing. Maybe never intended to. Looking at the subject matter that is quite ignorant.
Thats why I gave the one star.

Francis McDormand is, as always, portraying herself in all the varying degrees of personality she always seems to portrait.

Matt Damon is awesome.
He rules!
But I wish he would grow up a little more.
Always so conjested, conflicted.
Again and again and again.
Always the soon-to-be-a-father kind of guy.
½ April 9, 2015
Interesting story and good acting
February 19, 2015
Okay Gus Van Zant film. It was a little on the disappointing side given the fact that it's a "Good Will Hunting" reunion between Gus Van Zant and Matt Damon, but all the elements don't really add up and I would of liked to have seen them team up again on another project besides this
February 19, 2015
½ January 15, 2015
Upset my girlfriend when I figured out the twist right away, after that all I could do was think about ways I could have improved it and made the ending hit a bit more. The build up to the "confrontation" between damon and krazinski was hit or miss, too much time was spent on a love interest instead of the competition between their ideals. Which would have been great if not for the twist...
½ January 4, 2015
I'm not sure how this movie hasn't received more recognition. It caught me off guard. Great performances by all.
January 3, 2015
Promised Land is about a man played by Matt Damon who tries to purchase the rights to fraking on rural economically declined farm lands. Damon confronts his conscience for the negative impact he is creating in the minds of the farmers. Great screenplay by Krasinski and Damon, definitely kept my attention. Overall it was a good movie with a good cast.
December 23, 2014
Sujet interessant. Matt Damon touchant. Frances McDormand très bien aussi. Les personnages sont assez fouillés. La Réalisation sobre mais efficace. Le scénario est juste un peu trop idéaliste. Le twist final c'est un peu trop beau... Mais ça a au moins le mérite de poser quelques questions sur la fracture hydraulique. Un assez bon film dans l'ensemble.
½ December 21, 2014
It can be a likable drama by the performances of its collaborations, especially the [more-entertaining] "Good Will Hunting" director Gus Van Sant working alongside with Matt Damon first time since. But until the film's outcome reveals itself after what the characters were going through that we're challenging for them, it shows that the plot had one simple purpose only while not caring about its surrounding of its path towards that small change. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ November 23, 2014
Where to begin with this one. Because good things were happening in this. But I also felt like I was watching a very long and drawn out anti-fracking PSA. There was a scene where a guy from the town sounded like he was reading from an environmentalist website, but it was supposed to be dialogue. And everything just felt very manipulative. From both sides. You had Matt Damon and Frances McDormand being the natural gas sales people and doing all of their sales pitches and then John Krasinski as the environmentalist being just as manipulative, but with signs and sob stories. I don't know. It made me not sympathetic for anyone. They tried this thing where Matt Damon's character is doing it because he believes that the money the company gives the town can actually revive it, while at the same time McDormand's character sees it as strictly a job, which was an interesting dynamic. Plus, Frances McDormand can make any character likable if she chooses. Whereas Damon's character kept doing the "I'm not a bad guy" schtick and then doing something kind of assholeish. Then they tried this twist thing and by that point I just didn't care. I don't know guys. This could have been really thought provoking, but in the end, it was just kind of messy.
½ November 17, 2014
I really enjoyed it. It is not going to win any awards, but it was a fun movie.
October 31, 2014
One thing the movie touches on but never completes is the idea that it's not about winning or beating someone for the people of this town. Damon's character's go to line is "we win" or "I'm going to beat you", and for most of the movie he misses that what the voting process means to the town's people is the choice to make their minds, not triumphing with a preconceived position.
½ October 9, 2014
Matt Damon and John Krasinski collaborate on this indie drama that, while well-written, is uncomfortably sappy at times and too strong of a "Hollywood" political message, even when the message is a good one. Gus Van Sant directs it beautifully and Frances McDormand strongly supports the fine performances of the entire cast. Unfortunately, it just comes across, especially at the end, as an ego-driven, spoon-fed, liberal mess.
½ October 3, 2014
Drama in a small town is the result when , Global energy attempts to lease out a towns land for Natural Gas drilling. Matt Damon plays the motivated sales representative who attempts to persuade the towns residents with money for their land ; until his moral compass kicks in.....The film does a great job presenting a message about very real and debated environmental issues which take place everyday in America.