Puss in Boots - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Puss in Boots Reviews

½ September 9, 2015
Don't listen to what this bob smickle person says. This movie is a trap and you will audibly hear your soul breaking from the inside as the movie progresses. This is obviously the highlight of Christopher Walken's career. Please save yourself the heart ache and stay away. Remember, I died on the inside for you.
September 9, 2015
This movie set my heart afire with its wonderful musical numbers and glorious plot. Puss is a clever cat and you will never tell what he is going to do next.
December 7, 2014
This is so bad it's actually kind of good. I guess Walken & Connery either did it for a laugh or had a big tax bill that year ;)
December 30, 2013
funny as hell and the kids love it too. the dance offs are the best!!
September 9, 2013
i want o c dis now after seeing puss in boots in shrek :P
December 7, 2012
Have i seen this???????
June 27, 2012
Christopher Walken dancing and singing. Not to mention it's a classic tale! Fantastic silly humor and cheesy 80s fantasy effects.
April 13, 2012
I love this actor so much and want to see this movie really much.
September 15, 2011
It's a bizarre stinker of a film, but the presence of Christopher Walken in the title role makes it well worth the laughs you'll have.
½ September 15, 2011
This movie exists...and Walken is absolutely the only reason to watch (and at least he looks like he's having fun). Grating and obnoxious.
½ September 9, 2011
Walken is enjoyable and lively as Puss, and the music is well written and fun. The story progresses nicely and always keeps you interested with what Puss will do next!
½ July 2, 2011
Puss: This boots will change our lives. Master.

Well I do remember slightly seeing it as a kid but get that into context because why do I remember it slightly and not as good and warmly as other movies that I saw in my childhood and even older than this one maybe because it wasn't that good. But we have to take into the equation that it was made in the late eighties 1988 to be exact and the effects are true to that date so I can't really be disrespectful about it.

It's Christopher "Freaking" Walken, doing a movie based on a fairy tale, and he sings and dances. His acting style fits the role very well as the devious, mischievous Puss who seems to get his master into deeper and deeper trouble but in fact has a plan he's thought about seven or eight moves in advance. And if you've ever seen Walken in any of his villainous roles, you *know* the ogre bit the dust HARD at the end when Walken got him into his trap.

The story stays almost totally true to the book. I'm really not a lover of musicals but the only part where I was interested in the music it was when Christopher Walken was singing the rest it was lip syncing and bad at it too the song weren't that great either but a little more effort would have made it enjoyable at least. Christopher Walken is very catlike, and doesn't need stupid make-up, or a cat costume for the viewer to believe he's a cat transformed to a human. One of Walken's few musical roles to date. (He is a marvelous dancer and singer and he demonstrates his acrobatic skills as well - watch for the cartwheel!). Starring Jason Connery that is also Sean Connery's son mostly last name and not much acting it was an ok performance.

If you fast forward through the horrible singing, you will find a classic fairy tale underneath. It is graced with a lively performance from Christopher Walken (who still thinks highly of it) as Puss. Christopher Walken is very humorous and surprisingly good in the role. His trademark style of acting works well for the sly Puss in Boots. Physically, the film looks fine, and the photography is good. The songs, however, go in one ear and out the other, and merely stretch the running time more than necessary.

A cat belonging to a poor miller's son thinks up a great plan for bringing a title, wealth, and marriage for his owner. He begins to carry it out, using a few birds and rabbits as gifts for the king, his own wit, and a pair of boots that make him appear human when he puts them on. However, his owner has no idea that the cat has told everyone that his master is a marquis rather than a miller's son until the king has arrived to meet him. Soon the king's daughter and the miller's son fall in love, and the king wants very much to see the land and the castle belonging to this rich "marquis."
July 25, 2010
In the beginning I was definitely thinking "What the heck is this crap? Should I even sit through this?" But then Christopher Walken appeared and I found myself strung along with the curiosity to see what he'd do next. He made a great cat for some reason! I never would have thought of him like that, but he definitely pulled it off! He and the lovely and lively princess are the only reason to watch this movie, though. The songs aren't that great and neither is the dancing, but it's pretty cute overall. I was enjoying it by the halfway mark. :)
July 8, 2010
Harmless and fun Cannon Movie Tales film starring Christopher Walken as the title character and Sean Conner's son Jason as his master. Simple not very memorable songs, but it's amusing seeing Walken sing and dance in a fairy tale using his usual Walken accent. I'm gonna check out the other Cannon movies later, they seem like a nice batch of movies.
½ June 19, 2010
christopher walken! as puss in boots! singing in a musical!
March 1, 2010
I remember seeing the end of this movie a very long time ago (like age 5) and never being able to remember what movie it was from. Still, I feel that this film accurately represented the puss in boots story. It was rather interesting getting to see Christopher Walken act like a cat and do a lot of silly singing.
½ February 10, 2010
This 1988 musical stars Christopher-freaking-Walken as the titular feline. If that weren't enough to pump you up for, it also stars Jason Connery, son of Sean.

Produced by the Cannon Film Group Inc., under their Golan & Globus outlet, which is the same brilliant company behind such awful gems as Masters Of The Universe and Superman IV: Quest For Peace. Armed with this knowledge, I was prepared for the worst, and the DVD artwork wasn't much help. Boy oh boy, I was wrong! This was a fun fantasy-filled adventure. A little slow to start, but it allows the characters to all be properly introduced and known to us.

Eugene Marner, the director, paints a very bright fantasy world, filled with a soft color palette full of light blues and greens, with only Puss' brown leather standing out. It serves the whimsical style of the songs and story well. He doesn't do too much with the camera, which bogs things down a bit. Here's a story that needs to be showy and flashy, just like Puss himself, but we get something that feels lifeless and never really lifts itself.

Saving us from this is a brilliantly cast Walken (has he ever not been brilliantly cast?) as Puss In Boots. He delights here, obviously greatly enjoying playing a character that is a bit vague, fun, pushy, but overall has his master's best in mind, even if Corin (Connery), his master, can't see. Walken plays the cat's wit like a game with himself. What challenges can he whip up for his master, just so Puss himself can overcome them? Playing it three steps ahead of everyone, at all times, is the only way to do this, and we're treated to usual Walken-isms; his manner of talking, his way holding himself, and within this world, his larger-than-life persona is the exact thing needed.

While a bit green, Jason does a solid job, especially within the middle and last acts. The rest of the supporting cast overacts a wee bit, but that helps make it a bit more fun.

The costumes, while typical fare, are beautiful. The set designs are pretty standard, but do work.
December 14, 2009
no thanks not my thing
½ November 22, 2009
Christopher Walken is...a cat? Amazing.
November 22, 2009